Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Chrome: Chrome Protector is a new extension that will let you know if you're running one of the Chrome add-ons that'sbeen flagged as adware in disguise so you can remove it. Plus, as the community blacklists grow, the extension will update with new information to keep you safe.P

Chrome Protector is brand new, but it already knows about the most popular and commonly used extensions mentioned at How-To Geek's updating list. Once installed (and yes, the add-on asks for a lot of permissions), it will notify you if you install something that's tracking your activity, and you can click it at any time to check the extensions you have installed currently against its blacklist. The developer plans to add in new features like notifying you if an extension starts to behave oddly, or if there's been a change in ownership (or TOS) of an extension you have installed in the Chrome Web Store.P

Of course, this is trust issue: How do you trust an add-on that's telling you what other add-ons you can or can't trust? Well, we took a look at its code and didn't see anything fishy, but since Chrome extensions can be updated automatically without the user noticing, we'd understand if you're skeptical of a new extension from an unknown developer that promises to keep you safe. Still, if keeping up with the blacklists is too much for you, or you want something to warn you that an add-on you've installed may be spying on you, Chrome Protector is a good start, if not a bit ironic.P

Personally I don't need this app, but it's there for those that do.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I cannot envision using more than 5 extensions, but I know that some use more than 20 extensions (insanity).

Reactions: ZeroDay

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I cannot envision using more than 5 extensions, but I know that some use more than 20 extensions (insanity).

Very true.

Novice users / basic web users wouldn't need more than 5 but extremely advanced multitasking power users like myself require 20+ extensions.
My Nightly x64 Extensions
- Adblock Plus
- Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
- Cleanest Addon Manager
- DownThemAll! *Nightly*
- Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
- Ghostery
- goo.gl lite
- Greasemonkey
- InstantFox
- LastPass
- Organize Status Bar (Revived)
- Rehost Image
- Restartless Restart
- Search by Image for Google
- Self-Destructing Cookies
- Stylish
- Tabs Always In Titlebar
- TinEye Reverse Image Search
- Turn Off the Lights
- URL Tooltip
- URL Addon Bar
- Vacuum Places Improved
Thanks.

Reactions: ZeroDay
I

illumination

Very true.

Novice users / basic web users wouldn't need more than 5 but extremely advanced multitasking power users like myself require 20+ extensions.
My Nightly x64 Extensions
- Adblock Plus
- Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
- Cleanest Addon Manager
- DownThemAll! *Nightly*
- Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
- Ghostery
- goo.gl lite
- Greasemonkey
- InstantFox
- LastPass
- Organize Status Bar (Revived)
- Rehost Image
- Restartless Restart
- Search by Image for Google
- Self-Destructing Cookies
- Stylish
- Tabs Always In Titlebar
- TinEye Reverse Image Search
- Turn Off the Lights
- URL Tooltip
- URL Addon Bar
- Vacuum Places Improved
Thanks.

Good thing you have that mobile Ferrari of yours to push all those extensions ;) :D

Reactions: MrXidus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.