Advice Request Chromebook - Should I add security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

My question is should I add third party security or not?
Not necessary on a Chromebook. Installing your favorite ad blocker ect such as ublock in the browser will help negate issues there and watch what you install via play store or Linux apps.

Keep in mind all apps are sandboxed on a Chromebook. The firewall is set for you and OS hardened. Chromebook is by far one of the most secure you can get out of the box. Even if you run Linux apps they are run in a container/sandbox. Keep this in mind as they all run connected to the same container, meaning if you do come across something in one app it can effect the others, but not the Chromebook itself.

The only security I use which is more than enough, is ublock in my browser and a VPN.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Chrome OS does not execute programs like Windows OS, all is delivered through web applications. On top of that Chrome OS applies sandboxing. Furthermore Google has the best regression testing and most solid software development practices of all. I read a statistic somewhere which stated that for every 1000 Windows OS vulnerabilities due to coding errors or weaknesses, Apple OS has 500 and Chrome OS only has 25.

That said Android malware tests (AV-C and AV-Test) show that malicious apps and extensions keep on slipping through Google's play store, so the for Chrome OS that is the same risk. I thought not all Chromebooks have access to the Google Play store (then the risk of installing a roque app is also zero I would think), but when your Chromebook has access to Google Play store, you could look for an AV-app.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

The only security I use which is more than enough, is ublock in my browser and a VPN.
But in your security setup you are posting that you run additional security scans and intrusion detection in linux containers on your chrome OS 😕

Reactions: Nevi and Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

But in your security setup you are posting that you run additional security scans and intrusion detection in linux containers on your chrome OS 😕

If you read it, you will notice I state I scan my entire network and all devices with those tools for malware and vulnerability. I am not the only person on my network and there are other types of devices. I do not worry about my Chromebook, I have nailed it hard with nmap testing different attack scenarios with the same results each time, the Chromebook will detect and block those, lock the account, force a password change and move on with your day.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Virus-proof? Yes
Spyware-proof? No

Just as using Chrome on desktop, installing unsafe extensions can be harmful for your privacy.
This is one time i have to state, the whole operating system is google, so being concerned with just the browser is pointless. Which is of course how i feel about android in general as well. I did state above though to use ad blocker extensions, watch whats applied from the play store and which linux apps are run if applicable.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is one time i have to state, the whole operating system is google, so being concerned with just the browser is pointless. Which is of course how i feel about android in general as well. I did state above though to use ad blocker extensions, watch whats applied from the play store and which linux apps are run if applicable.
That was not the intention of my post. I use Android and Google services daily.

By using a Google product, users have control over their data, the same cannot be said for third-parties and their data collection methods and policies.

There have been instances of shady companies buying small developer extensions, and turning them into data collection vacuums.

Consumers don't buy Google products for absolute privacy.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

That was not the intention of my post. I use Android and Google services daily.

By using a Google product, users have control over their data, the same cannot be said for third-parties and their data collection methods and policies.

There have been instances of shady companies buying small developer extensions, and turning them into data collection vacuums.

Consumers don't buy Google products for absolute privacy.
My apologies, just getting a little to used to google bashing here in the forum. I absolutely agree with you especially with 3rd party. Im extremely picky with 3rd party anything.

Reactions: Dave Russo

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Chrome OS is based on Gentoo Linux, plus! It has Google's additional sandboxing and other software protection. As stated above: Just use an adblocker and possible a security extension in the browser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Not necessary, but i would personally install trend micro on chrome book as license keys are cheapish, 10$ for 3 years 10 devices also gets you quality webfilter on your browser

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not necessary, but i would personally install trend micro on chrome book as license keys are cheapish, 10$ for 3 years 10 devices also gets you quality webfilter on your browser
How does $10 Trend Micro improve the web experience compared to ie. Malwarebytes Browser Guard or AdGuard?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
How does $10 Trend Micro improve the web experience compared to ie. Malwarebytes Browser Guard or AdGuard?
Malwarebytes browser guard takes more cpu every pageload than trend micro extension + trend micro with high settings is more effective than malwarebytes, except blocking high risk TLDS, but that can be done with ublock origin

Also ublock origin is more efficient than adguard

Of course you have trend micro running on the computer all of the time, but with chromebook it might be more efficient using cpu/mem than windows version where its light as its cloud based anyways

Personally i would pay for it for windows experience but the op is okayish without

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Malwarebytes browser guard takes more cpu every pageload than trend micro extension + trend micro with high settings is more effective than malwarebytes, except blocking high risk TLDS, but that can be done with ublock origin

Also ublock origin is more efficient than adguard

Of course you have trend micro running on the computer all of the time, but with chromebook it might be more efficient using cpu/mem than windows version where its light as its cloud based anyways

Personally i would pay for it for windows experience but the op is okayish without
Chromebook does not work like a windows machine. It actually uilizes it's ram to speed up everything. On a Chromebook with 8gb of ram there will be many times 7 GB is being used with only one application open. The less unnecessary applications you have drawing on that full time, the better. Personally I use ublock as a web filter and it's perfect, because it's customizable with custom rules and filters. It covers all my needs in one extension and it's light.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.