Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have always been confused by the difference between Chromium and Google Chrome.

Is Chromium basically just a Beta shell for Google Chrome? In other words, it is always in Beta, and when it becomes stable, then Google tweaks it, and applies its own customizations?

Or can Chromium be used straight out the box with same extensions but without the Google bloat?

Thanks

Reactions: shmu26

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Chromium is open-source. It contains new features that will be probably implemented in the next Google Chrome version. That's why Chromium is sometimes buggy.
Is Chromium basically just a Beta shell for Google Chrome?
Yes.

In other words, it is always in Beta, and when it becomes stable, then Google tweaks it, and applies its own customizations?
Yes.

Or can Chromium be used straight out the box with same extensions but without the Google bloat?
Yes. I think the Google "bloat" is included but I'm not sure.

You can of course use all extensions.

Reactions: mlnevese

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
The only options on the poll is either "I use it Chromium all the time" or "I use Google Chrome all the time", what about the people who don't use it very much at all? :p

I'm not a fan of Chromium, but I'd use it over Google Chrome because it's (AFAIK) completely open-source while Chrome is based on Chromium but has some propietary blobs in it.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
The only options on the poll is either "I use it Chromium all the time" or "I use Google Chrome all the time", what about the people who don't use it very much at all? :p

I'm not a fan of Chromium, but I'd use it over Google Chrome because it's (AFAIK) completely open-source while Chrome is based on Chromium but has some propietary blobs in it.

You are right, so I adjusted the survey for those who hardly use or do not use Chromium at all. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Cohen and frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for making this thread and clarifying the relationship between Chromium and Chrome.
I read somewhere that Chrome is faster to release patches, including security patches, and Chromium usually learns about it from Chrome.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

:)I use Google Chrome all the time(and then a little Edge)

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for making this thread and clarifying the relationship between Chromium and Chrome.
I read somewhere that Chrome is faster to release patches, including security patches, and Chromium usually learns about it from Chrome.

You are welcome. I needed the clarification, too. I guess I thought if I used Chromium, I would have an original version that would not have the privacy concerns that everyone talks about, and hopes to avoid in Google Chrome. I guess not:(.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.