Chromstera wont uninstall from programs and features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour356

Thread author
May 17, 2024
I made the same post like this a while ago but I didnt get a chance to respond, sorry about that. But I would still like the help as the issue is still there. I recently had a chrome extension virus that wouldnt go away. I managed to get that sorted out but the only thing left is this chromstera thing in my programs and features and every time I try to uninstall it a pop up comes up and says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I need help removing it please.malware.png

error-png.283537

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 12

Sour356

Thread author
May 17, 2024
A person names nasdaq told me to download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. and to post two logs. I hope these help

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Addition.txt
    122.9 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Hi, we meet again.

As you have already expresses this program may have deleted.
The registry has not been cleaned. So the fix should remove it.

Chromstera (HKLM\...\Chromstera 1.0.0.0) (Version: 1.0.0.0 - Chromstera Research Solutions)
<<<>>>

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• Fixlist.txt
    26.8 KB · Views: 2

Sour356

Thread author
May 17, 2024
Thank you for getting back to me. here is the fixlog you wanted me to attach. Chromestra is still in my programs and features but I did not try to press uninstall yet. Should i go ahead and press uninstall?

Attachments

• malware2.png
    malware2.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Fixlog.txt
    85.7 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi.

What you see of Chromestera in the Program Files(86).... can possibly be removed in SAFE MODE.

Try to delete in in Normal Mode. If that fails do it In SAFE Mode.

Navigate to this page.
PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10)

Follow the directives.

When done restart the computer normally.

p.s.
This is just a remnant item and is not causing any issues.

If you do run this Microsoft program.

Microsoft Safety Scanner - MSERT.exe

Please make sure you have the latest Windows 10 updates before proceeding.

Please set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.
Please use this Guide for Windows 10 or 11. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...d-folders-in-windows-97fbc472-c603-9d90-91d0-
Follow the instructions.

Then Download the Microsoft Scanner for this site:
Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Microsoft Defender for Endpoint

Launch MSERT.exe
Accept the agreement terms of Microsoft
Select CUSTOM scan
Look on Scan Options & select CUSTOM scan & then select the C drive to be scanned.

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. Once you start the scan & you see it started, then leave it be.

Once you see it has started, take a long long break; walk away. Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display. The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.
Again, any on-screen display about repeat 'infection' is not to be relied on. Ignore those.
We only rely on the end result that is on the log-report-file.

This is likely to run for many hours ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log

the log will be at

Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply

p.s.
There are more information for you to read in the download link.

Keep me posted.

Sour356

Thread author
May 17, 2024
Hi, I just came back to follow further instrtuctions but when I went back to my programs and features, the chromestera thing was just gone lol. I didnt try to delete it or anything it just dissapeared. Should I still do something else or am I good?

Attachments

• damn.png
    damn.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

i can suggest your run the Farbar program and post fresh logs for my review.

Your call.

Sour356

Thread author
May 17, 2024
Here are the fresh logs.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
  • FRST.txt
    63.8 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

Well done.

Chromstera is no longer active but there is still a reference in your Registry.

Chromstera (HKLM\...\Chromstera 1.0.0.0) (Version: 1.0.0.0 - Chromstera Research Solutions)

If you try to remove it via the the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features... you will get a message that the files/location are gone.

Download the Revo Uninstaller Portable and follow the instructions.

Please download the free version of Revo Uninstaller Portable from here and save the compressed file to your computer's Desktop.
  • Double-click the compressed file RevoUninstaller_Portable and extract the files within it (it will be created a folder with the same name);[/*]
  • Within that folder, right-click the file RevoUPort and select Run as administrator to open the tool;[/*]
  • Click Yes to accept the UAC security warning that may appear;[/*]
  • Click OK to accept the License Agreement and Copyright;[/*]
  • Select 'The Program to Remove' and click Uninstall. Follow the instructions to complete the removal process;[/*]
  • In 'Search Mode' set it to 'Advanced' and click on the Scan button. The tool will search for leftovers;[/*]
  • Click on Select All and then on Delete and then Yes to delete the selected items;
    Note: You may have to repeat this step to delete all the leftovers (Registry items, files and folders);[/*]
  • Click the Finish button and restart the computer to complete the removal process.[/*]

p.s.

You may decide to let it go,l It's OK nothing can come of it.

Sour356

Thread author
May 17, 2024
Alright thank you so much for your help. Its awesome what you guys do here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.