CIA impersonated Kaspersky anti-virus software

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Coincidentially there are some rumours that Cylance is funded by CIA and Trend Micro is often bypassed and sometimes simple ignored in those leaks.

14 cutting edge firms funded by the CIA

Why does Trend Micro send telemetry to data mining firms?

Not all anti-virus firms are of interest to the NSA and GCHQ

:ROFLMAO:

I guess I will have to recommend more Kaspersky Free antivirus for my friends and colleagues.

Quite a number of security firms were funded by the CIA, Lookout Mobile Security, Cylance, then you have intelligence linked Checkpoint, Paloalto, Fireeye, etc. Trend Micro merged labs with Booz Allen Hamilton (CIA Contractor), that's been well established. Any firm 'not of interest' to the NSA and GCHQ can probably be understood to already work closely with them.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

CIA and NSA basically have unlimited budgets to throw around, including all of these investments in tech firms. Remember years ago when Skype encryption had the NSA frustrated? They offered billions of dollars to anyone that could circumvent it. Microsoft took then up on that offer and opened Skype right up to them.

Skype under investigation in Luxembourg over link to NSA

Few in the modern age can stand on principle when faced with the harassment of the CIA/NSA. Even fewer can stand on principle when offered millions of dollars. Would you? Not everyone can be Lavabit, so most companies simply turn over the goods when asked nicely and have a briefcase slid over in front of them. I consider any company taking ANY amount of funding from the US Govt. intelligence cartels to be tainted goods. I consider any firm hiring ex-spooks to be tainted goods.

US Intel cartels have demonstrated they aren't ANYONES friend. They're only interested in themselves, their own power and protecting what they have and control through whatever means possible. As such, anyone that gets in their way, is troublesome, or impedes their free reign of action is probably considered their enemy. Even something as benign as using Linux or a VPN probably places you into their observation/curiosity zone.

The NSA Is Targeting Users of Privacy Services, Leaked Code Shows

What pisses me off more than anything is US Intel are operating with what amounts of criminal levels of activity. What gives them the right to hack or forge certs of a private corporation? What gives them the right to release malware into the wild? Do we have ANY evidence the Russian Govt. has the vast malware and exploits troves the US Govt. hordes and uses against people? NONE. Is there ANY evidence Russian govt. is reverse engineering or targeting US Based AV firms? NONE. Yet there is evidence the US Govt. is involved in all of this and more. Given all of the revelations that have taken place, if Kaspersky is antagonistic toward US Intelligence, he's probably a friend to you because US Intelligence has shown they are antagonistic toward everyone but themselves and their own parasitical interests.

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
We agree on Eugene Kaspersky, I too have a lot of respect for that man and the company he's built. Imagine working your whole life only for some other government to smear your name and company. It must be soul destroying. Perhaps the evidence of the copied software is too sensitive and a possible security risk for the CIA and the techniques they use when they do help people. WikiLeaks has redacted leaked info before for that very same reason. And no offense taken my friend we just have different points view on some things related to both the US and Russia. Personally I don't think we should be too concerned about 3rd party security software spying on us when we can pretty much 100% guarantee Microsoft share info with the CIA, NSA and GCHQ.
I agree with your statement about CIA, NSA. Still. ,,Beware of Russia".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.