Status
Not open for further replies.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I installed CFW 10 with avast and SAP I disabled hips ,autosandbox,viruscope,and web filter ? WAs that a good idea to disable all 4 ? Thks
Why even instal cfw when u disable all the core protection and just use the firewall module? If u have avast and sap u dont need cfw. if u want a firewall use zonealarm firewall. there is no reason to install comodo when u disable almost anything from it.

Reactions: AtlBo

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Thks for reply Zonealarm is too much for resources and I was told on here to at least disable autosandbox and hips I can enable the other 2 if needed.All I want is firewall protection .

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Blue- Enabling the firewall alone is a very bad idea. Comodo products are coded in such a way that the assumption is that the firewall will be used in conjunction with either the HIPS or sandbox. The major example would be the inability of the Firewall by itself to react to a hollowed process connecting out; with either the HIPS and/or the sandbox enabled this sort of thing would be stopped. But using the Firewall naked would leave you unprotected.

Reactions: frogboy and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
You might want to take a look at Private Firewall if you only want to block/manage connections. Just turn the HIPS off and set the program to show pop ups for all connection attempts. One thing that is pretty good with PF is connection control and monitoring. You can create/set very specific rules too.

cruelsister's sandbox approach is unbeatable as far as I can tell. It's the nearest thing to a guarantee that malware cannot run outside of being sandboxed. Good idea to try it unless it will conflict with something in avast or another security program on your system.

You might want to take a look at Private Firewall if you only want to block/manage connections. Just turn the HIPS off and set the program to show pop ups for all connection attempts. One thing that is pretty good with PF is connection control and monitoring. You can create/set very specific rules too.

cruelsister's sandbox approach is unbeatable as far as I can tell. It's the nearest thing to a guarantee that malware cannot run outside of being sandboxed. Good idea to try it unless it will conflict with something in avast or another security program on your system.

PrivateFirewall is no longer developed. It's fine if everything works, but placing trust in a product that has not had any development whatsoever in years is not the best move.

Last active development, 2013 - other than making it installable on Windows 10:

https://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Please be advised that development of and support for Privatefirewall has been suspended and will resume when and if a viable licensing or other business arrangement is established. Thank you for your support!

At bottom of support page above:

"
Privatefirewall is not formally certified for Windows 10, but in most cases, it will operate as expected on Windows 10 systems. In others, it may be necessary to specify the Win 8 compatibility setting. To do so, go to Start, All apps, Privatefirewall 7.0, apply right mouse and select Properties, Select Compatibility tab, check Compatibility mode checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode: Windows 8". Click Apply. Restart system.

"

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Blue- As to Comodo I can only suggest enabling the sandbox. If you don't want to go that route and just want a firewall you should look into Windows Firewall Control- it comes both paid and free.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
In Firewall settings, disable "Do NOT show popup" option...
By default it is disabled. Now I have set the alert level to 'High' in firewall and will monitor it.

BTW, how to remove the alert in 'Blocked Applications'?

Silent blocking is great but I want to show pop-up alerts in SB and HIPs. How to do this?

Thanks

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Harbor- Thank you for that post!!!! In the past checking that box to "Not Show Popup Alerts" would have just stopped sandboxed applications from connecting out. But things have changed in version 10. Now by default anything trying to connect out from the sandbox will result in a Firewall popup, no matter if you have the main Firewall setting at Safe Mode or Custom Mode.

But by checking that "Do Not Show" box would be equivalent to setting the Firewall at the Block All mode, which is no good at all!!!

So Please, no one should check anything in the Firewall section!!!!

(I would have had a setup video out already, but as I haven't seen my family in 2 years I feel guilty about using the computer at all. I promised them I wouldn't but obviously lied...)

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
By default it is disabled. Now I have set the alert level to 'High' in firewall and will monitor it.

BTW, how to remove the alert in 'Blocked Applications'?

Silent blocking is great but I want to show pop-up alerts in SB and HIPs. How to do this?

Thanks

It's NOT disabled by default. By default it is ENABLED and set to ALLOW everything by default.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's NOT disabled by default. By default it is ENABLED and set to ALLOW everything by default.
OK leave it as it is

How about pop-ups for the Sandbox and HIPs? Where to enable?

BTW, I think cannot remove the alerts in 'Blocked Applications' so just unblocked them

Thanks

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well, the Auto-Sandbox is retarded and auto sandbox everything that doesn't require elevated privileges. It will only ask you if app requires admin rights. Which is dumb as hell.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Does anyone know if Jumboframes are finally supported by the firewall?

/W
Just checked and it's not supported. I assume you're using a NAS.

I was not ever talking about CIS specifically. My post was about ADS\zone.identifier generally.
I know.

ADS/Source tracking is no longer there in V10 so "Alternate Data Streams\Zone.Identifier" doesn't apply for V10, right?

If I am correct, now they use some kinda "Global File Database".
They realized it is better to keep track of files with a new database. The problem all along was the method of storing data. Tracking exists in default configuration for increased usability.

Igor Pavlov - developer of 7zip.

Igor Pavlov's own words regarding zone.identifier being wiped when extracted and 7zip: 7-Zip / Bugs / #1649 Zone Identifiers of unzipped files.

Also, just for reference: Downloads and the Mark-of-the-Web

There is no URL-Unknown zone.identifier in Windows.

The scenario I am referring to: user downloads zip from email, right-clicks and extracts it, executes it, SmartScreen doesn't check it due to wiped ADS\z.i, file executes, no Windows Defender detection, system boinked.

Remove Mark of the Web, and there is no Smartscreen application reputation check.

User Space is User Space; there is no need to rely upon the presence or absence of ADS to be a file monitoring trigger. User Space = untrusted, always. It works.

Interesting conversation. Thanks.

Web Browers and Email Clients are also handled with File Groups.

This is not a scenario with Comodo. Although "Mark of the Web" is removed after extracting from the archive CIS handles it in the other way and the system is protected. It was said a few times in this topic.

True dat.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I have to make a correction about the Firewall comment that I made above (about enabling the "Do Not Show Alerts" box). I had been doing some initial Botnet testing on the system for which i have special protections in place (so I don't actually send out malware to the Public) and forgot to shut this down prior to the generalized CF10 work.

So actually this is the case with version 10:

1). At default (that box not checked)- anything trying to connect out from within the sandbox will result in a Firewall alert.
2). by checking the box and selecting "Block" any outbound connections from stuff running in the sandbox will be silently blocked without user input just like in version 8.

I sincerely apologize for my previous misstatement, but at the same time I am happy that I was incorrect.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Brand New Comodo Internet Security 10 Hotfix Version is Released ! - News / Announcements / Feedback - CIS

Brand New Comodo Internet Security 10 Hotfix Version is Released !

Hello Everybody!!

We’re very happy to announce that Brand New Comodo Internet Security 10 with Secure Shopping Hotfix version is released!

Previous week we have released our new born Comodo Internet Security 10 with brand features such as Secure Shopping included in free package and many improvements according to your feedbacks. This week we have followed up your feedbacks on forum very closely and we have worked on your feedbacks. Here we are with the new hotfix version which also includes interim offline installer.

We appreciate your nice feedbacks on the new version and we are very happy to see that this powerful system with new user friendly user interface is getting nice comments from our precious users.

We will keep listening to our users' voice and keep improving Comodo Internet Security 10 with CPU Enforced OS Virtualization (Automatic Containment) and Secure Shopping !

Comodo Internet Security provides the one and only seamless protection online & offline with CPU Enforced OS Virtualization (Automatic Containment) and Secure Shopping ; for Free !

Run any file virtually; no matter if it is a harmful file or not. It can not give any harm to your PC! If something is unknown, it is automatically put into containment where it runs until a verdict can be rendered on whether it is good or bad.

As a core element of Comodo Internet Security seamless protection, Default Deny Posture is now even more improved and easy to use.

Default Deny Posture provides a trust verdict on 100% of the files. This avoids false positives. Your unknown files will be evaluated with a a variety of techniques ! This approach provides both protection and detection on your endpoint !

You can stay home and Shop & Bank online securely! With this new version we now provide you True Security for Online Banking and Shopping. When you shop & bank online inside Secure Shopping environment, your security and privacy is guaranteed. Not only while browsing in the internet , doing online shopping and banking but also while running VPN clients and file sharing clients such as Drop Box and any shopping app inside Secure Shopping !

Let’s remember What’s new in Comodo Internet Security 10 :

Watch Nowhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHVqA8iOuHM&feature=youtu.be

Let’s remember What’s Secure Shopping:

Watch Now

True security for online banking and shopping - Now included in the free package!

This unique tool provides extreme security for online banking and shopping by allowing you to connect to the internet from within a highly secure, virtual environment.

Secure Shopping will be available with CIS free, CIS Pro and CIS Complete packages .

Protection points for Secure Shopping can be listed as:

- Connect to sensitive websites from inside a dedicated, security-hardened environment.

- Key-logger prevention stops hackers from recording your keystrokes.

-Takeover protection warns you if there is a remote connection to your computer

- Prevents hackers and malware taking screenshots of your session

- Blocks man-in-the-middle attacks by detecting fake SSL certificates

- Process isolation hides sensitive personal data from other processes.

But Secure Shopping isn't just for the internet! You can now run any application you want inside the secure environment to protect it from hostile processes.

-Run applications installed on your endpoint

Users have the ability to run not only browsers but any application in Secure Shopping.

-Remote Connection Protection

Users receive an alert if CIS detects a remote connection during a Secure Shopping session.

-Screenshot Protection

Any screenshots taken of the Secure Shopping environment will be automatically blacked-out, preventing hackers and malware from taking captures of sensitive online information.

A Unique Protection Tool !

Comodo believes that Security is a right and not a luxury; for this reason this unique tool is for Free ! Now we even have advanced protection with our new Patent-Pending Fileless Malware protection technology! Fileless malware are types of malicious code used in cyber-attacks that don’t use files to launch the attack and carry on the infection on the affected device or network. Regarding our new Fileless Malware protection patent-pending technology, we are in preparation of a whitepaper. Once we finish, we will share it with you accordingly.

We have also received many nice reviews after our last Major Release for CIS10. Some of the nice reviews we have received during the week can be checked via below links :

Comodo Internet Security 10 Now Available for Download

Comodo Antivirus, Firewall and Internet Security 10 released

Konfrontacja Comodo Internet Security Premium 10 z Comodo Cloud Antivirus

Thank you very much for all your support and let’s check what‘s New, Improved and Fixed with this new Hotfix Release !

PS: Please note that updates are not available for now, existing users on v8.x and v10.x can make a re-installation for CIS 10 latest version. Updates will be available with next coming release

What's New in Comodo Internet Security 10.0.0.6092?

• Interim Offline Installer:

We are still working on proper offline installer, in the mean time based on high demand, we are providing CIS Premium installer, it doesn't come with Secure Shopping by default but you can always install Secure Shopping from main interface via clicking on Secure Shopping task !

• New Internet Security Essentials version with Windows 10 compatibility issues fixed

What's Improved?

• Updated Internet Security package compatible with Windows 10 1607
• Updated Notification settings as integration with Windows Security Center for Windows 10

What's Fixed ?

• Microsoft Edge crashes
• Files installed by trusted installers are added to file list as trusted when file rating setting is disabled

Download Location

Comodo Internet Security 10.0.0.6092

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/5005/standalone/cispremium_installer.exe

Size: 5.3M ( 5456584 )
MD5: 7d42dc0ef1eb95a1b668404087eeef70
SHA1: 2a259e6962f5df5a6cb4c25e0f7c7a716ddd1b0a

Comodo Antivirus 10.0.0.6092

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/5005/standalone/cav_installer.exe

Size: 5.3M ( 5456576 )
MD5: ac48b853d32a3ed0049fe7155950c526
SHA1: 4cc2c97c0932ce482c231d0233f5f7e661b42c4d

Comodo Firewall 10.0.0.6092

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/5005/standalone/cmd_fw_installer.exe

Size: 5.3M ( 5456576 )
MD5: dce4bf777b8c96100b15ea9dac93ed5e
SHA1: fe764f89779b2ae710135e83f43cb0b33632d912

Comodo Internet Security Premium Offline Installer v10.0.0.6092 (Interim)

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cispremium_only_installer.exe

Size: 70.3 MB (73,804,768 bytes)
MD5: 5e7a4de551efc2e8a3d4dfba8f3d4566
SHA-1: 44f33d9f8501f004ace7c45abfe17aca222604c3

With best Regards
Mops21

nikos200

Level 3
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
all this new versions...and no wedfilter improvments no BB improvments no av improvments....just sandbox!!!!and call it internet security....i cant understand why they dont improve the most important parts and leave it the same for so many years

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
all this new versions...and no wedfilter improvments no BB improvments no av improvments....just sandbox!!!!and call it internet security....i cant understand why they dont improve the most important parts and leave it the same for so many years
The most important part is their sandbox.
BB is dead and a relic from the past.
Their firewall is solid.
Their antivirus is useless but they will never fix because having a proper one cost a lot of money they can't afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.