Battle CIS 5 vs KIS 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Im starting a real war i suppose. LOL :D
I am currently using KIs and have heard goodreviews about CIS too.

Which one is better? I have used Cis a short while back it was good but after format installed Avast. And then long ago i had tried their anitvirus when it was in Beta.
So whats your take??.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
yes, all can be tweaked on CIS, it is why i like it.
KIS 2012 has also a lot of options when it comes to settings (which if changed in the right way could give the user a high level of protection) but the main difference between COMODO and Kaspersky is the way they see security and the users they target.
CIS was built with prevention in mind , restricting the rights of any app. if it's not known by them.... The price Comodo has to pay? An increased level of user interaction is need it.
KIS 2012 was built so that any user could install it and use , no matter what it's level of knowledge was and to avoid any interaction from the users..... The price Kaspersky has to pay? A lower level of prevention when compared with CIS.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
GabiCRX said:
I vote for Comodo !
Why?

Prevention: Comodo
Detection: Kaspersky
Resources: Comodo
User Friendly: Comodo

Winner: Comodo

User Friendly: Comodo?

Surely Kaspersky would take that one. Comodo has come a long way but it's still at a stage where a novice would have trouble using it at times. Granted Kaspersky isn't the most user friendly either but it's still ahead of Comodo in that regard.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For CIS isn't consider to be user friendly even before, as due to the HIPS feature made design for advance users and for novice user will get hard time to answer the repetition popups.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
If COMODO improves their suite by :
-creating a new look for the GUI
-reducing the alerts so that it will be more friendly to all users and easy to understand (even for novice users), and they still maintain the quality of the product in the prevention field
-increase the detection rate
I believe that CIS will manage to reach a 80% market share in the security market.
:)
What do you think, guys?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A product that has integrated a HIPS can't be very use friendly because at some point it will have to ask the user for a decision.Now Kaspersky and COMODO have both solved this problem with different solutions.
Kaspersky made the decision process automatic ...so the suite will take the decision based on a heuristic analyze while COMODO has implemented a decided to give limited rights to by default to the apps that aren't know by this suite.
Was browsing the COMODO forums and I've notice that the COMODO users have submitted 256 pages of apps and programs that were white listed by COMODO (apart from those who COMODO analyzed and white listed by themselves) so I'm wondering how many HIPS alerts will an average user get with CIS installed on it's system.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For HIPS in Comodo not sure if its implemented already, the way using community based so popups could provide more information if its safe or not in an accurate way.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Each are both good, but I think CIS is better as they're always striving to do new things in order to protect us (lol vague or what, blame cold coming on...).

I use both on my network, family laptop gets KIS because I get it free as part of my Online Banking with Barclays!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
jamescv7 said:
For HIPS in Comodo not sure if its implemented already, the way using community based so popups could provide more information if its safe or not in an accurate way.

I'm not sure, but I think Comodo Firewall (either v3 or 4) did have had pop-ups that displayed community-based information regarding the file for Allow or Block.

Or I may be confusing this for another product.

AyeAyeCaptain said:
I use both on my network, family laptop gets KIS because I get it free as part of my Online Banking with Barclays!

Do they still offer this? I remember seeing this years ago back in 2007/8.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
I'm not sure, but I think Comodo Firewall (either v3 or 4) did have had pop-ups that displayed community-based information regarding the file for Allow or Block.

look like Mamutu (and EAM BB) popups.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Earth I'm highly doubt they made it before but suppose they will continue it since in that way can help to provide information.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Earth said:
jamescv7 said:

AyeAyeCaptain said:

Do they still offer this? I remember seeing this years ago back in 2007/8.

Late 2009 I think have had this, so assume so, check it out. My account offers free mobile phone insurance and extra warranty to all items registered as well as KIS for free. Check it out Earth by asking in your local branch or via phone?

Can't find bank statement but I am on Plus account, am sure most online accounts are entitled to this also, check it out

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Okl guys i thank all of you for such invaluable comments. Wow a great showdown indeed. I was one of the first beta testers for CAV and it was so bad that it would flag its own process suspicious, but it has improved. Its quite better. I have installed it on my relatives machine but could not test it as I was in a bit of hurry. So once i put comodo to its task of defending the pc and scoring the results i will report it. Thnx all.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:

Yes, it was called Threatcast. Melih has said it may make a comeback. However, it may not be necessary with the upcoming Behavior Blocker.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
maybe comodo could ask their members to participate to improve it. This way people that are a part of it can help even if they don't have the program but may have heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.