Battle CIS 5 vs KIS 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Im starting a real war i suppose. LOL :D
I am currently using KIs and have heard goodreviews about CIS too.

Which one is better? I have used Cis a short while back it was good but after format installed Avast. And then long ago i had tried their anitvirus when it was in Beta.
So whats your take??.

D

Deleted member 178

RE: CIS vs KIS

good paid product vs good free product = the free one always win :D

to answer the OP, check the forum about CIS you will have all the info, tests , review you need.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

If you want free then CIS would give you the benefits at all.

Firewall, Antivirus, Sandbox and Defense + claim to be very solid protection. Actually popups for HIPS (Defense +) was trimmed down for trusted application so only unrecognized application needs a user decision. Their Comodo Sandbox protects unknown applications and run in a virtual environment to avoid problems.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Win7holic: Not necessarily, some people have bought Comodo Internet Security for some strange reason. :S

In my opinion, OOBE Kaspersky Internet Security gets my vote.

Though Kaspersky's Safe Run, if used, for 64-bit Windows doesn't have much use, unless you use 32-bit Windows.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
some people have bought Comodo Internet Security for some strange reason. :S

1- they think the paid version is better :D
2- they like using Geekbuddy and free support :D
3- they want the insurance in case they screw their computer (in the way they can have the money back only) :D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

Well, I think that it's not fair enough to compare two products that are different in price since CIS is free and KIS is paid. But when it comes to protection and detection, I'm pretty much confident with what Comodo offers for free. ;)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

LOL
yeah.
maybe people think, paid software is: the best, and will guarantee will not be affected by malware infections :p
it's wrong, right?
It comes from the product features. if free product offers several outstanding features?
why not choose it?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

It's a very wrong idea if people will keep on thinking that their paid security software can protect them and keep them invincible from all sorts of malware. It's just that Comodo is still not much of a household name.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Antivirus
Kaspersky has been tested by many independent organization and while I've personaly tested CAV and found it to be actually very good , the final winner until COMODO will submit their antivirus engine for testing can be only one : KAV.
W: KIS 2012

Extra-Features (HIPS,Firewall,Sandbox.....)
KIS 2012 is the best equipped suite on the market with a lot of security features like Geo Filter and Application Control that if tweaked correctly might give this suite a really high degree of prevention.
Both suites come packed with some 'must have' features in order to protect a system but the main difference between this two suites is the way they've decided to use them.
W: KIS 2012

Overall prevention capabilities.
With a very well tunned HIPS and an auto-sandbox feature for unknown files CIS wins this battle not only with Kaspersky but with almost all the vendors.
KIS 2012 is has a lot of tweaking option, and if the user knows how to tweak the settings than the prevention level can dramatically increase.I for one I'm still wondering why Kaspersky doesn't better tune-up the settings for this suite or at least give to the user a 'Pre-Config Wizard' when installing the suite , like it had in the 2010 and previous versions.
W : CIS 5.8

System Impact
Kaspersky is know for beeing a resource hog on some system and this problem can't be solved until this vendor will re-write the basic code for this suite like System did in 2009 for NIS, on the other hand Comodo has constanly improved there resource usage so at this point this suite is very light.

W : CIS 5.8

Usability (User friendliness)
The addition of the Auto-Sandbox feature on CIS made this suite very usable in the real world as it will automatically give limited rights to the unknown files so this should seriously reduce the alerts generated by the HIPS component.
I had this suite installed a few days ago on my system(6 games , 20 apps) and I've only received an alert from the Firewall component so COMODO has made some good steps in the right direction.
KIS 2012 has also bundled a HIPS but unlike COMODO this suite will automatically take the decisions for the users so it will not generate any alerts but this will also mean that the level of protection will be lower.
W : KIS 2012

FINAL VOTE : CIS 5.8

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Wow, Jack took all the words out of my mouth. That's a whole lot of information to share with our co-members. Thumbs up to that Jack!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Jack's post for CIS was already considered as the winner, before the comparison.

Also for the wider audience, regardless of security features and out-standing performance, Comodo has no chance. Not in it's current state (v5.8).

Kaspersky still has my vote.

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011
Hmm!!!:huh:
- If I have strong PC and money, I choose: KIS
- If I have weak PC and money, I choose: CIS
- If I have weak PC and I not have money, I choose : CIS
My vote is for CIS:rolleyes:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have to say Comodo Internet Security because the detection rate of it is really good and the ability to change the settings to what you like it as it really good. Plus very good explanation Jack ;)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Comodo Internet Security is very customizable as you can tweak it to your needs. That's a great feature for a free product in my point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.