Battle CIS vs Avast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

a dude that love a product so much that he states that it is the best and if you dare tell him it is mediocre by showing him proof that it has a flaw it will deny it with full force saying you don't know how to use it properly, also he will ask the devs for all the features others products has to make his loved one superior

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I'd vote for Avast, Comodo is "naggy" and bloated with junk.
Avast has its flaws but does pretty well.
a dude that love a product so much that he states that it is the best and if you dare tell him it is mediocre by showing him proof that it has a flaw it will deny it with full force saying you don't know how to use it properly, also he will ask the devs for all the features others products has to make his loved one superior
Heh, Reminds me of that Avast fanboy we had a bit ago.

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Avast: Light on System +
90 MB download +
Good web protection +
Good detection +
Good prevention +

Comodo: Light on System +
400 MB download (Suite + database) -
Good firewall +
Good sandboxie +
Good prevention +

As the Littlebits said, if you have common sense can use any antivirus, will be well protected with these two, I consider both light on system, web protection in Avast is better than Comodo. I Advise using Avast + High sensitivity (Enable PUPs) + Hardened/Moderate with Sandboxie Free.
I'm currently using that way and I like.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
neither CIS nor Avast
CIS is hard to configure
Avast is a mediocre program.
Only AppGuard + EXE Radar Pro + HitmanPro and all

D

Deleted member 178

the difference between Appguard and the rest of the security softwares is that Appguard consider EVERY file to be ALREADY infected or be infected soon. So its mechanism is to prevent them to interfere with the system files. it is also one of the few (even the only one ) to really possess a memory protection.

Reactions: XhenEd

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
so I agree with that AppGuard as a way to prevent infection, because the AppGuara added F-SecurityAV and scanner MBAM Premium.
I can still add EXE Radar Pro but not know whether this makes sense?

xxrandomxx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
so I agree with that AppGuard as a way to prevent infection, because the AppGuara added F-SecurityAV and scanner MBAM Premium.
I can still add EXE Radar Pro but not know whether this makes sense?

I am currently testing EXE Radar Pro to see what impact it makes and it's very likely to add it to my setup.

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Comodo for me because avast haves such a low detection rate and their zero day protection sucks
Avast just have a good detection rate and if u change the settings avasts zero day protection is quit fine.

: i would go with avast. comodo need some tweeks to be effective in prevention. to much popups for normal users. they would klick "run" "allow" anyway even its a malware, they just dont know it. avast is just way more easier.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
In 6 words, CIS/CAV is not for the novice user. It's not for a big portion of experienced users too as it's very annoying for an AV to interfere with non malicious programs and sandbox them. Also, it's known to have lots of bugs.
If you want that default deny behaviour, you can use Avast and enable Aggressive Mode so that unkwown apps will be blocked (or moderate for suspicious apps). Someone will say it's just a blocker mechanism and CIS offers stages of restriction. But who's sure if an app will run correctly when it's autosandboxed by CIS?
Firewall? If you are home, use windows firewall and router firewall and you 'll be ok.
If not, privatefirewall is a goog and light third party alternative to add if you want more control than with Windows firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.