Battle CIS vs Avast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeezy

Level 1
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Comodo is overly complicated for a security solution, simple products without too much pop-ups that provide mediocre protection are far better than complicated products that offer hefty protection with too much pop-ups. Your pick, it's either simple and mediocre or complicated and "decent". You can still get infected with an arsenal of security products so i'd go with avast.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
The goal of these programs is to prevent systems from being infected with malware, so it's an easy choice for me and that is Comodo, even though their AV detection sucks the Firewall won't allow programs to run without you letting it, so even if Avast detects 90% if it lets only 1 piece of malware infect the system then it failed and if Comodo only detects 70% but doesn't allow an infection then Comodo is the better choice. But realistically it's Comodo Firewall that makes the difference so a combo of CFW and a AV with good detections makes a strong defense. And I ran CIS for a few months and didn't get many popup notifications, it's not like it used to be.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Both are good, this is though choice..may I ask why you created this pool? is this question made because you want to use one of them? if you are an advanced user and know what are you doing you could go for CIS, but if you don't want get confused by many pop-ups and can't decide which one is False positive then you would go for Avast. Avast is quite good and it's free :)

One of the staff here on MT (Umbra Polaris) said, there are 2 types of program, the one is the complicated one with many configurations but you need to tweak it (CIS) in order to get the maximum security, or the other one is the simplified one that almost no configuration but common sense needed to get the maximum security (most of AV) But again..if you are an advanced user then perhaps you don't need CIS anymore since you know what are you doing :D
The great feature on CIS is it's firewall, it's Av engine it's not good as the others (at least for now)
CIS is quite good, the main purpose of CIS is "Prevention" not curing or removing malwares, and yes you can get your computer with malware free if you use CIS and tweaked properly :)
Regarding your question, my vote goes for Avast with Comodo Firewall, but since you were asked only Avast or CIS, then for the sake of simplicity I'd vote for Avast :)

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
CIS blocks too many trusted programs and allows a lot of shady adware which is a part of their whitelists.
300 bugs fixed with each release lets you know how stable the product is, so why should any choice to use CIS? over Avast which is a trusted product more popularly used than any other security product. Not to mention CIS collects user data without any opt-out options even if you block the application it still phones home. Nobody know what it collects or how it is used since their privacy policy is riddled.

For weaknesses how could you trust any product with over 300 bugs?
Of coarse any product can have weakness if the user is careless about downloading suspicious files, security products only can protect cautious users.

Enjoy!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.