CIS WebFilter

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Can CIS WebFilter be used to block ads i.e can EasyList & EasyPrivacy used by AdblockPlus, uBlock, etc.. to remove ads be used in WebFilter to remove ads?

Reactions: Logethica
Y

yigido

Thread author
Could the filter lists be updated automatically?
No, you have to update this manually.
Edit: Please stop double posting (asking same things) on Comodo Forum. Same questions everwhere..

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
No, you have to update this manually.
Edit: Please stop double posting (asking same things) on Comodo Forum. Same questions everwhere..
How often are filter lists like easylist & easyprivacy updated?

Whats wrong with posting at 2 places?
I mostly post my queries at 2 places i.e official forum & MalwareTips/wilders.
Coz quite a few time one dont get a proper reply or no reply in official forum, strange but true.

Reactions: Logethica and Moose
Y

yigido

Thread author
How often are filter lists like easylist & easyprivacy updated?
Filters update daily. But into adblockers, update routine is 3-4 days.
You can update your filters weekly, it will be OK for you. Because filters has generic signatures against ads & trackers.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
To update the lists, I have to do it the same way again i.e copy the lists again & follow the same procedure?

I copied EasyPrivacy & paste into notepad.
When I am trying to save it, it is mentioning something about Unicode?

Y

yigido

Thread author
To update the lists, I have to do it the same way again i.e copy the lists again & follow the same procedure?

I copied EasyPrivacy & paste into notepad.
When I am trying to save it, it is mentioning something about Unicode?
Yes, you should follow same procedure. Remove the old filters and add the fresh ones again.
You should use host files. I recommend.
MVPS or Dan Pollock's Hosts
I recommend these 2, you will get faster net

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
MVPS is for ads blocking?
Should I use MVPS & Dan both or any one?

Y

yigido

Thread author
MVPS is for ads blocking?
Should I use MVPS & Dan both or any one?
You can use both with no problem.
Dan Pollock host to prevent your computer from connecting to selected internet hosts. This is an easy and effective way to protect you from many types of spyware, reduces bandwidth use, blocks certain pop-up traps, prevents user tracking by way of "web bugs" embedded in spam, provides partial protection to IE from certain web-based exploits and blocks most advertising you would otherwise be subjected to on the internet.

Y

yigido

Thread author
Which would be better MVPS or Dan?

How often should I update?
Use both of them but remember! these host files are not designed for ad blocking so I suggest you to keep your adblocker with easlist&easyprivacy.. These hosts will help you to reduces your bandwidth.
Update them weekly.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Use both of them but remember! these host files are not designed for ad blocking so I suggest you to keep your adblocker with easlist&easyprivacy.. These hosts will help you to reduces your bandwidth.
Update them weekly.
I tried MVPS.
It blocks ads less compared to ads blockers & also white space in place of ads.

Actually I was trying to replace ads blocker addons with this.

Can you tell me how to add EasyList in WebFilter?
I tried but it blocked the internet & net was not available.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I tried MVPS.
It blocks ads less compared to ads blockers & also white space in place of ads.

Actually I was trying to replace ads blocker addons with this.

Can you tell me how to add EasyList in WebFilter?
I tried but it blocked the internet & net was not available.

@yesnoo

Did you try the steps outlined by @Umbra Polaris in his guide to import lists into CIS web-filter?

@Umbra's guide is pinned at the very top of this sub-forum. Follow the steps carefully... and it works.

Best Regards,

HJLBX

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I tried Umbra's steps but didn't worked.

I think coz EasyList/EasyPrivacy are not in Hosts format.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I tried Umbra's steps but didn't worked.

I think coz EasyList/EasyPrivacy are not in Hosts format.

When you save in Windows Explorer, you have to use drop-down menu and select "Hosts format."

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
When you save in Windows Explorer, you have to use drop-down menu and select "Hosts format."
I did that.
On saving EasyList it mention to save in Unicode. I tried all the drop down menu & Hosts format & other options but doesn't work & internet is blocked.
On saving EasyPrivacy no probs but some sites are blocked like easylist site, in.youtube.com, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.