ClamAV FINALLY Releases Version 1.0.0

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
After decades, ClamAV is finally version 1
ClamAVNet
My wife is an OB GYN I mentioned to her that her business would drop if only her patients installed ClamAV. The poor women's eyes rolled so far back that I thought she died, followed by a massive sigh and the words "if I only knew who you were before we got married". I don't know what she means by that.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Because I installed Linux Mint on my old patato PC, I searched for AntiVirus available for Linux. From what I read, ClamAv is mostly used as just another (free) layer for mail servers

Most website/mail servers run a Linux OS. ClamAV is used with other protection layers like: Firewall + Snort + SPAM assassin + ClamAV + Yara. Combined they should keep out most nasties, before reaching corporate (Windows OS dominated) networks. As far as I understand, it makes sense to use a different OS to protect your main infrastructure, since most attacks are oriented against the windows environment, it is 'safer' to analyse and deconstruct malwares trying to infect your infrastructure. In corporate networks it is just the second layer after the DNS. The third layer is often delivered by commercial security services.

In Linux forums ex-Windows users seeking for an AV and help to use ClamAv in realtime/on demand are often mocked at. Most Linux users seem to use passive AV protection (so I also decided to go with the flow and drop the Windows-urge for AV-protection).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.