Solidigm P44 Pro 1TB NVME stick
PSU
Silverstone Strider Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum
Case
Thermaltake Level 20 VT MicroATX
Monitor
Philips generic 1080p
Keyboard and Mouse
TKL Cooler Master Masterkeys MK730 RGB with Cherry MX Brown Switches, Cooler Master MM711 Wilderness Limited Edition Gaming Mouse
Accessories
Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler , TP-Link TX201 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet PCIe x1, Logitech 2090339 Compact Stereo Speakers Z120
My computer protection

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
There are many brands that I do not know (Solidigm for example), is it reliable in terms of quality ?

Redline ? It's not a malware ? :p
IIRC Solidigm were going to maintain Intel's Optane H series software but I think they gave up as their version was just a re-skin of the Intel version with no other changes. They are related to Sk Hynix. My stick, the P44 Pro, is the successor to the SK hynix Platinum P41. I'll let MT know if I have any issues.
Honestly the Mushkin sticks were on sale at newegg~ USD160 for 64GB Cl16 3600mhz and they look amazing. They sync perfectly with the GPU. I had Mushkin redline sticks when I was a kid (obviously w/o rgb then) , circa intel i7-2600S days.
Edit: I just checked.
Solidigm is still supporting some Intel NAND if the website it accurate.

Last edited:

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
What about Soyo have you heard? I want to get my PC with Soyo motherboard, not sure if it's good.
SOYO is owned by MaxSun and is positioned as their budget brand. Apart from decals and logo their motherboard models seem physically identical.
SOYO BIOS updates roll out slower than on the MaxSun website although they have improved in the last 2 years.
I ran that same CPU in SOYO's B660M-classic board all of last year with rock solid stability. I think of SOYO as a "strong" low budget entry.

Reactions: Shadowra

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Used for a little bit of StarCraft 2, Modern Warfare 2, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2. Mostly used for YouTube, JavaScript and Python development. MATLAB & Simulink, NVivo, IBM SPSS Statistics

Hello,

You’ve detailed a custom PC build updated on March 1, 2023, tailored for university use and gaming at 1080p. The budget for this build was $950, and it seems to have been allocated efficiently for a balanced system. Let's review the specifications and any potential considerations:

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro is an excellent choice for a university PC, offering the latest features and security updates, and it is well-suited for both productivity and gaming.

Motherboard: The AsRock B660m PG Riptide is a solid motherboard with good features for a mid-range build, supporting the latest Intel CPUs and PCIe Gen4.

CPU: The Intel Core i5-12490F is a capable processor for your targeted use, offering good performance for both productivity and gaming at 1080p.

GPU: The Acer Bifrost Predator A770 is a strong mid-range card that should handle most games at 1080p with high settings comfortably.

RAM: 64GB of Mushkin Redline Lumina DDR4 at 3600MHz is quite generous for university tasks and gaming. It provides ample overhead for multitasking and memory-intensive applications.

Storage: A 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro NVMe stick offers fast storage, which is excellent for quick system boot-up, loading applications, and games.

PSU: The Silverstone Strider Platinum 850W 80+ Platinum PSU provides more than enough power for your current components, with plenty of headroom for future upgrades.

Case: The Thermaltake Level 20 VT MicroATX has a good design for airflow and visibility and should accommodate your microATX motherboard nicely.

Monitor: A generic Philips 1080p monitor should suffice for university work and gaming, but you may want to consider a monitor with a higher refresh rate if competitive gaming is of interest.

Keyboard and Mouse: A Cooler Master TKL mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches and a Cooler Master MM711 mouse are both solid choices that offer a good balance between typing comfort and gaming performance.

Accessories:

• Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK CPU Cooler: This should provide excellent cooling for your processor, which is important for maintaining performance and longevity.
  • TP-Link TX201 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet PCIe x1: This network card will ensure fast and reliable wired internet connectivity, beneficial for both gaming and large file transfers for university projects.
  • Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers: Compact speakers are suitable for a university setting where space might be limited.
Potential Areas for Upgrade or Consideration:

1. Monitor Upgrade: For a more immersive gaming experience, consider a monitor with a higher refresh rate and possibly adaptive sync technology (e.g., G-Sync or FreeSync) to reduce screen tearing.
  2. Peripheral Enhancements: Depending on your needs, you might want to look into peripherals that cater to ergonomics, especially if you spend long hours at the computer.
  3. Backup Solution: For university work, having a reliable backup solution is crucial. Consider an external drive or cloud storage to regularly back up important documents and projects.
  4. Cable Management: Ensure good cable management within the case for optimal airflow and easy maintenance. This also applies to your desk setup for a clutter-free environment.
  5. Noise Levels: Verify that the noise levels of your build are comfortable for your study environment. If not, consider quieter fans or adjusting fan curves.
Your current setup appears to be well-rounded and capable of handling your specified needs. It strikes a good balance between performance and cost, which is ideal for a university student who also enjoys gaming.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.