Advice Request Cloudflare gateway/secure DNS vs Quad9 DNS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Cloudflare will win in speed. Don't have an answer to this one. Why not test for yourself and let us know? I know Quad9 is pretty great with blocking malware domains. Unsure about Cloudflare.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
being your own recursive dns sever that supports DNSsec is pennies,.. if you run a pi or a pihole unbound - Pi-hole documentation
imho dont rely on a 3rd party when you can take control, be your own dns!

but back to topic betwwen 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 it doesnt matter... put one to a primary and the other to a secondary, in which order doesn't matter
, your internet will work & resolve...
its then down to which company you trust the most with every detail they gather........ #unbound

Reactions: Nevi

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021

I do not know what to believe🤪
so test yourself! try each and works best for you

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Cloudflare will win in speed. Don't have an answer to this one. Why not test for yourself and let us know? I know Quad9 is pretty great with blocking malware domains. Unsure about Cloudflare.
I have seen few people testing out in YouTube and forums. They say the secure public dns comes close. So basically if the domains from public accessible places are used then that would be the result most probably. But if tested in real life usage ,then I don't know. Plus the Gateway dns is more comprehensive with lots of blocking categories and most importantly being able to block new and newly seen domains.

Reactions: Nevi and Trooper

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
being your own recursive dns sever that supports DNSsec is pennies,.. if you run a pi or a pihole unbound - Pi-hole documentation
imho dont rely on a 3rd party when you can take control, be your own dns!

but back to topic betwwen 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 it doesnt matter... put one to a primary and the other to a secondary, in which order doesn't matter
, your internet will work & resolve...
its then down to which company you trust the most with every detail they gather........ #unbound
The thing about pi hole is....can it be used on the go and configured on Android, windows devices so that I am able to use it on the go or when I am using public wifi outside my home?

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022

I do not know what to believe🤪
Yeah actually I thing the guy used old domains many of which were probably dead. So that test isn't much of a help.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Ping also depends on your distance, another useless argument.
Yes and if you are being routed to farther CDNs for the sites you are visiting and media you are consuming then you will have a suboptimal experience. This is why it is not always ideal performance wise to switch from an ISP DNS. Though that varies by the competency of the ISP. But a lot of the big
ones host content of the big players (YouTube, Netflix) on their edge servers much closer than where Cloudflare or Quad9 is going to route you. And those will have lower pings (as a function of distance).

Reactions: Nevi and Trooper

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Which blocks malicious domains better?
You won't get an answer to this. malicious domains are not static, its dynamic and changes/introduces thousands of new ones every second or so. Its impossible to keep track of all of them by anyone. Apart from that phishing/malicious domains usually doesn't last more than a week or so, it goes dead or gets found after that. So what you need is something that can block newly created domains till it passes a month or so.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
What do you mean still use 3rd party dns? Do you use your ISP dns?
no, unbound is the dns server, in recursive mode, there is no need for forwarders, used more for privacy.. for convenience though just stick to cloudflare/quad9 both are very popular.
pihole can be used mobile if you vpn back to your network... (check out brave browser in android, adblocking already baked in, even for youtube no need for extensions/other apps)

Reactions: SohanRay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.