App Review Clyance (Home) vs Sophos (Home) vs Voodoshield

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Which Would You Use or Currently are Using

• Clyance

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Sophos

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Voodosheild

Votes: 25 92.6%

• Total voters

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
VS has built-in emulation submission to Cuckoo Sandbox - but nobody ever mentions that. ;)

Oh, I admit... reading the emulation reports require advanced knowledge - but it does provide a more accurate score than AI in those 50:50 cases.

Any how, what is so damn difficult about this ?:
  • Clean install your OS
  • Install desired software
  • Lock Down your system
No crazy security config required.

It don't get any easier nor trouble-free than that...

1. Shouldn't be a big problem for me
2. I install a lot of different software all the time weather it is for game emulation, Steam Updates, or modding my Wii (yes I own a Wii get over it :p)
3. Doesn't the learning mode for Voodosheild take around 24-48 hrs to get everything together? What happens if I get infected before than.

I am a very paranoid person when it comes to security and my day to day life.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@J Gamez065
What I do, and there are a few Security software on the market that require a learning mode period.
I make damn sure to only run or visit secure and tested software or sites, avoid the rest because what you want is for the software to
only whitelist or remember what is within your normal daily routine.
Infections can happen anywhere I recognize this but limit your exposure for the training period.
PeAcE

H

hjlbx

1. Shouldn't be a big problem for me
2. I install a lot of different software all the time weather it is for game emulation, Steam Updates, or modding my Wii (yes I own a Wii get over it :p)
3. Doesn't the learning mode for Voodosheild take around 24-48 hrs to get everything together? What happens if I get infected before than.

I am a very paranoid person when it comes to security and my day to day life.

By a Colt or Kimber 45 - that'll fix the paranoia... :D

If your system is pre-infected, then the malware will be white-listed !

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Deactivating UAC because anti-exe is present is careless. Before an attacker spawns additional executables, he is already executing his own code. With UAC disabled, he can elevate to admin before spawning anything else, he can inject code system-wide, including admin services and the like (which would not have been possible with UAC enabled because of privilege separation). He can also drop payloads in whitelisted folders like Windows and Program Files, because UAC protects them from write access and UAC is disabled now. These are just two of many other things.

But because attackers still go for the lowest hanging fruit, this carelessness will not be punished immediately. Yet please bear in mind, with the system-wide smartscreen filter on Windows 8 and 10, attackers will be forced to choose the file-less infection pathway sooner or later, and low privilege and privilege separation play an important roll in making this harder.

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra I know you said Voodosheid became a UAC replacement, but should UAC still be disabled? Isn't it a security risk reguardless wether or not you have very good or very poor security software..?

@J Gamez065
At it's release it was recommended to disable UAC, that is not the case anymore with VoodooShield.
So I guess it would be up to user preference at this stage in the VS game.
I personally set it (UAC) to the lowest setting while using VS Pro.
there have been some very revealing tests as of late concerning the effectiveness
of the UAC feature one or two of them were posted here, I trust VS Pro to supplement
and enhance my UAC.
PeAcE

At the 1st version VS highly insisted on disabling UAC , because its purpose was to replace it, not anymore, now it recommends to disable it ; but personally i won't disable UAC.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Did this after installing Voodooshield(Win 7):

disabling the alerts for administrators: you won't get any more hassle, but UAC will run in the background and you'll still get its other features.

'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin' to 0. You can restore normal UAC behaviour by setting it to 2.

So what does it mean other features?! I just removed the consent prompt right?!

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi yesnoo my friend,
Now it does not matter weather you disable UAC or not VS will strengthin UAC reguardless.
Like I said in an earlier post, at this point in the VoodooShield game it's a matter of preference.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
VoodooShield, in my opinion is more fool proof than UAC when it comes protecting the Win10 environment.
as I mentioned before some malicious payloads can bypass UAC and we have recently seen this inaction in one of
Cruelsis's videos, there are more vid's to support this than just hers.
VoodooShields team is aware of this and have been for some time, hence the suggestion of turning off UAC
when VS is present. "For me" I trust VS a little more than I trust UAC, some swear it's the end all be all of
protection for Windows (UAC), I recognize it's importance, but in that I also recognize it's short comings.
I guess I just feel that with UAC disabled and VS in charge I am in a better place security wise.
Now that is just how I feel, others will feel the opposite but I have been running VS from the first Beta
with little or no UAC and had zero issues, and it has been a about 2 or 3 yrs now so there has been plenty of time for me to "pay" for this decision, dont get me wrong at first I was
petrified having UAC off, I would visit the toggle in UAC control contemplating often my choices, as time passed I became more comfortable leaving it off, and the boogey man never came :)
Thanks for asking brother.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.