Clyde's Configuration

clyde

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 14, 2012
McLovin said:
For Windows 7 :

What do you have the HIPS set as in ESET?

On-Demand scanners :

How do I check Eset's hips?Would there be a certain way to setup Superantispyware?I got a Pro license of this somewhere in my emails.Thanks again :)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Disable First chance prevention in startup. Wastes a lot of your boot time. And enable scan all files in realtime for super anti spyware.
To test the HIPS of ESET use the following download
This is not a malicious file, it just TEST your anti keylogging and HIPS protection abilities
Here is the direct download URL:- http://www.spyshelter.com/download/AntiTest.exe( ..i did not get any other URL)
This is developed by Spy shelter; check their home page here http://www.spyshelter.com/download.php

The above mentioned download link can be found at the bottom of their page.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Decent config.

Maybe you can gain some tips from ESET and SBIE users, but no need for additional software. (I don't use either).

Not sure why SAS is recommended when MBAM and HMP are enough for on-demand scanning.

Edited

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
clyde said:
Any tips on how to tighten up my settings?
HIPS Mode please
you are a beginner so a explanation to HIPS

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS)
Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) protects your system from malware and unwanted activity attempting to negatively affect your computer. HIPS utilizes advanced behavioral analysis coupled with the detection capabilities of network filtering to monitor running processes, files and registry keys. HIPS is separate from Real-time file system protection and is not a firewall; it monitors only processes running within the operating system.
HIPS can be found in Advanced setup (F5) by clicking on Computer > HIPS. The HIPS state (enabled/disabled) is shown in the ESET Smart Security main window, in the Setup pane, on the right side of the Computer section.
HIPS settings are located in Advanced setup (F5). To access HIPS in the Advanced Setup tree, click Computer > HIPS. The HIPS state (enabled/disabled) is displayed in the ESET Smart Security main window, in the Setup pane on the right side of the Computer section.
Warning: Changes to the HIPS settings should only be made by an experienced user.
ESET Smart Security has a built-in Self-defense technology that prevents malicious software from corrupting or disabling your antivirus and antispyware protection, so you can be sure your system is protected all the times. Changes to the Enable HIPS and Enable Self-defense settings take effect after the Windows operating system is restarted. Disabling the entire HIPS system will also require a computer restart.
Filtering can be performed in one of four modes:
Automatic mode with rules – Operations are enabled, except pre-defined rules that protect your system.
Interactive mode – User will be prompted to confirm operations.
Policy-based mode – Operations are blocked.
Learning mode – Operations are enabled and a rule is created after each operation. Rules created in this mode can be viewed in the Rule editor, but their priority is lower than the priority of rules created manually or rules created in the automatic mode. After selecting Learning mode, the Notify about learning mode expiration in X days option becomes active. After that time period is over, learning mode is disabled again. The maximum time period is 14 days. After this time period is over, a pop-up window will open in which you can edit the rules and select a different filtering mode.

P

Plexx

Since OP does not know where to configure HIPS on ESET, means it is on Automatic.

Automatic mode is basically not having HIPS since it is set to follow rules, if not allow and only one rule is configured by default: Load drivers.

Change to learning mode for 14 days and if 14 are not enough, when there is a couple of days left, edit the number to 14 again.

From there onwards setting to either Interactive or Policy based will be tricky for this reason: OP is new to this software.

I would rather recommend Comodo Internet Security default settings since it would be easier until the OP gets the hang of HIPS.

On a side note, description given is not fully complete.

In a nutshell:

Policy Based: Follow rules, if not, block
Interactive: Follow rules, if not, ask. If "ignored" for a specific time, automatically allow

Interactive mode will still give pop ups for stuff that was suppose to be learnt by Learning mode.

I came across that issue after using learning mode, having to manually configure the rules or set to Interactive and answer pop ups to ensure rules are set properly.

ESET HIPS is not the best one, in fact it is one of the newest ones on the market and there are still flaws.

clyde

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 14, 2012
And what would be the best hips program Biozfear?Tell me how to set up Comodo Internet Security properly.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
clyde said:
And what would be the best hips program Biozfear?Tell me how to set up Comodo Internet Security properly.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

clyde

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 14, 2012
Can I ask about configurations for my son's computers as well?One is a laptop and the other is a desktop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.