Troubleshoot Cmd opening and closing

Kemeky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2016
I have not seen the name of the command prompt pop-ups because it is only there for a split second, 2-3 happen on startup usually, and there is usually 1-2 popping up throughout the day, i was playing a game in this time and when it popped up it minimized my game but the cmd prompt lasted for like a millisecond after it minimized my game. Is this malware and even if it is not how can I stop this? For the past week also if i play games it minimizes it which annoys me a lot.

Reactions: Logethica

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
this does not sound like malware to me.
it is more likely some kind of software or driver incompatiblity.
check your device manager and expand the various categories and look for a driver that is marked as a problem

Upvote 0
O

Omnipotent

Check to see if any hidden malware has infected any USB drives connected to the PC. It's highly unlikely though that you have malware present on your system the man himself @TwinHeadedEagle took a look at your system. If it's a driver/service problem then perform a clean boot to properly diagnose its source. Run an elevated command prompt window and paste this command 'sfc /scannow' this will check if any system files are corrupted. Make sure everything on your PC is up-to-date as it may be a bug in a program you have installed, i recommend using FileHippo AppManager or PatchMyPC. Other then that the only way to ensure that this is 100% fixed would be to reformat your harddrive and reinstall windows.

EDIT: Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), uninstall and reinstall your Nvidia Drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if you have a PC from a particular brand, such as dell, asus, etc, you could seek out their support.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you might be getting a windows run-once process that is calling cmd.exe, and the command line is failing, so it runs over and over again. Windows Defender can trigger such processes, it happened to me this morning. Make Windows Defender permanently disabled and see if that helps. Just an idea.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I assume that this problem will show up in the windows log.
look at the logs or find someone who can.

Upvote 0

Kemeky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2016
Check to see if any hidden malware has infected any USB drives connected to the PC. It's highly unlikely though that you have malware present on your system the man himself @TwinHeadedEagle took a look at your system. If it's a driver/service problem then perform a clean boot to properly diagnose its source. Run an elevated command prompt window and paste this command 'sfc /scannow' this will check if any system files are corrupted. Make sure everything on your PC is up-to-date as it may be a bug in a program you have installed, i recommend using FileHippo AppManager or PatchMyPC. Other then that the only way to ensure that this is 100% fixed would be to reformat your harddrive and reinstall windows.

EDIT: Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), uninstall and reinstall your Nvidia Drivers.
SOLVED - CMD opening and closing Alright I will try this, and this link is the whole conversation, with the man, the myth, the legend, @TwinHeadedEagle .

Upvote 0

Kemeky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2016

Nope, I still have the cmd pop-ups.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nope, I still have the cmd pop-ups.
might be time to reinstall windows...
but just make sure your model actually supports win10, some older computers do not, and it ends up with weird and unpredictable problems that don't always appear right away.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.