Browser(s) and extensions
Opera Developer Version with VPN Turned-ON*
Google Canary
Firefox Developer Version*

*Protected with Sandboxie (Paid)
Maintenance tools
Nil
File and Photo backup
Shadow Defender on Boot (only use External Drive for Saving)
System recovery
-

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi,

I'm really new to this.

Hoping to get a suitable protection without compromising my computer resources

Computer Specs:
UX305FA(MS)-FC051H
Core M-5Y10 processor
4GB RAM
128GB M2.SSD
Intel Integrated Graphics 5300 HD

Currently using this laptop for sourcing study references and materials (like reference medical books, pdfs, etc). You may say that I'm a happy clicker for that reason since I'm taking some "risk" to get those...

At time, I do watch movies online, some online games (those light type).

Any advice/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
exterminator20's prescriptions are well proven, I know, as I've filled them each for myself!:p
Since you are using malwarebytes AntiExploit, you might like using their free AntiMalware as a second opinion to Bitdefender. Free Anti-Malware Detection & Removal Software

A free program which illlustrates some important processes as it guards your system is WinPatrol. WinPatrol Downloads Page
First, you may view a very illustrative review posted by MalwareTips' @cruelsister:
A popular password manager I recommend, & learned of from an MT Staff member whom you've recently met is LastPass www.lastpass.com which uses AES (advanced encryption security. I believe it to be more secure than those included with browsers.
You've a well arranged configuration, thanks for sharing it with us!:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Your config is correct security-wise but weak against potential disasters due to non-use of a backup system.

Win10 integrate a decent backup solution , you can find it in Control Panel (Backup for Win7), and there follow the wizard to create a system image.

Or

Follow the advices above concerning backup solutions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender should be sufficient to your system, if you are worried on going many websites then add a virtualization like Sandboxie.

It isolates your browser so any changes will be undo when you clear the sandbox.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Thanks for the advice. But I'm planning to replace my Bitdefender due to it heavy resource usage. Looking at Webroot or ESET, whichever more affordable.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I think maybe you can continue to use Bitdefender for a few days and see whether the "Photon" technology of Bitdefender could decrease the resource usage.

Regarding Webroot and ESET, in my opinion, any of them is worth to buy.
I think maybe you can try them first before you make your decision to pay for them, because many antivirus programs have problems on particular systems. For example, I remember that @hjlbx once said that Webroot was not compatible with his AMD CPU.
ESET provides 30-days trial, while Webroot has 14-days trial.

I think you can also give Norton a try.
It is really light. I have mentioned in your previous thread that I could only find two processes of Notron in the task manager, each of which only uses 8 ~ 9 MB RAM. Norton on my computer does not slow down anything.
It also has 30-days trial.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I think maybe you can continue to use Bitdefender for a few days and see whether the "Photon" technology of Bitdefender could decrease the resource usage.

Regarding Webroot and ESET, in my opinion, any of them is worth to buy.
I think maybe you can try them first before you make your decision to pay for them, because many antivirus programs have problems on particular systems. For example, I remember that @hjlbx once said that Webroot was not compatible with his AMD CPU.
ESET provides 30-days trial, while Webroot has 14-days trial.

I think you can also give Norton a try.
It is really light. I have mentioned in your previous thread that I could only find two processes of Notron in the task manager, each of which only uses 8 ~ 9 MB RAM. Norton on my computer does not slow down anything.
It also has 30-days trial.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I've been reading through threads and posts in MT, and notice there's tonnes of way to fine tune your security; particularly using non-traditional AV. Right now I'll keep continue using Bitdefender AV and at the same time I'll be testing some softwares on my old laptop.
Anyway definitely I'll get the KeyScrambler / Lastpass Installed later. It's great as I'm a regular online shopper/ banking.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Your config is correct security-wise but weak against potential disasters due to non-use of a backup system.

Win10 integrate a decent backup solution , you can find it in Control Panel (Backup for Win7), and there follow the wizard to create a system image.

Or

Follow the advices above concerning backup solutions.

Hi @Umbra ,

Just want to know is that system restore point? or is it there is another function? I'm concerned on the back-up due to limited storage space to create another image? I only have 128GB SSD and there is no partition (now left 50GB). It is ok if I create back-up image into external drive? what possible complication I would have then?

Reactions: Logethica

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi @Umbra ,

Just want to know is that system restore point? or is it there is another function? I'm concerned on the back-up due to limited storage space to create another image? I only have 128GB SSD and there is no partition (now left 50GB). It is ok if I create back-up image into external drive? what possible complication I would have then?
Using an external HDD to create a back-up image is an excellent option!:) In fact, I hope Santa Claus brings me one (maybe even before Christmas!:p) because I could really use one too!:D

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That shouln't be a problem if HDD is your primary storage of system image. As long you have a bootable device to enter for recovery to restore a snapshots.

Just check for sufficient capacity since system image are based on the size you have on system.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Upgraded:
Bitedefender AV to Bitdefender IS 2016

Since I got a free 6 month key to try from MT giveaway thread. Just curious to try how heavy is this software.

On a side track,
Does installing/uninstalling going to burden your SSD lifespan? Heard it somewhere from another forum thread.
So far I heard the best advice from them is NEVER to defrag the SSD. Instead in Windows 10, there is a TRIM functions that does the job.
Due to that, I wonder if regular install/uninstall (specially testing software) would shorten ur SSD lifespan?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since SSD contains limited lifespan then you don't need to defrag as critically involved reading and writing so goes to installing and uninstalling more often .

Yes TRIM job is design to locked down those unneeded sectors to wipe them internally.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I wish to look for threads or posts that can teach me how to configure the Bitdefender Internet Security Settings. Somehow I couldn't find it in MT. Anyone care to enlighten me?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@CMLew: This link may not be related to configuration but you will englighten regarding in Auto-Pilot Mode and its B.R.A.I.N component to configure.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Removed:
Bitdefender Internet Security 2016
- after the update, BSOD twice Furthermore, resource usage increase alot... I removed it.

Added:
Window Defender
- still think this is the lightest and safest.

Ideas:
Window Defender + Shadow Defender
? Since I got MBAM+ MBAE.

I

illumination

Removed:
Bitdefender Internet Security 2016
- after the update, BSOD twice Furthermore, resource usage increase alot... I removed it.

Added:
Window Defender
- still think this is the lightest and safest.

Ideas:
Window Defender + Shadow Defender
? Since I got MBAM+ MBAE.
Windows Default security on W10 with Shadow Defender will be more then enough protection, and very light. You will find Windows Defender to not only be light, but also free of false positives and compatibility issues. Shadow Defender is an excellent product, one I would recommend to anyone, even though I do not show it in my config, when I need it, I have a lifetime license I can apply to my configuration for added security.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Windows Default security on W10 with Shadow Defender will be more then enough protection, and very light. You will find Windows Defender to not only be light, but also free of false positives and compatibility issues. Shadow Defender is an excellent product, one I would recommend to anyone, even though I do not show it in my config, when I need it, I have a lifetime license I can apply to my configuration for added security.

Thanks! @illumination ,
Actually I tried to scroll through the MT thread for Window Defender with Shadow Defender combo, and sems it is quite complicated especially getting the update part. Also another search frm Shadow Defender's Facbook, it says:-
"Shadow Defender can also use system RAM for its buffer. In this case Windows will essentially be running from RAM, with all the speed and security benefits this entails. Using Shadow Defender with a large RAM buffer will essentially prolong the lifespan of all your shadowed storage devices, as it saves shadowed disks from all daily write hits. All temporary files that Windows creates with each session will be strictly confined in RAM, with none of it hitting your actual disks. No actual disk writes also means no recoverable leftovers after file deletions, perfect for the more paranoid amongst us or for professionals who regularly work with very sensitive projects. This will also dramatically reduce future fragmentation on conventional hard disks and is extremely beneficial to the lifespan of devices with limited IOPS like solid state drives, USB sticks, memory cards etc"

I only have 4GB of RAM. Averagely I'm downloading/uploading 4 - 6GB of documents (pdfs and excels). Would that going to be an issue for me? This includes surfing website as well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.