Solved Cobwebs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I really don't have a issue yet that I am aware of, but I did notice a vast cobweb network in the bottom of my tower. The motherboard is only touched by the webs in one place, but the rest of the hardware is bare with the exception of a little dust. What I want to ask is:

Will cobwebs cause static electricity problems? If so, do I remove them, or just kill the spider that might be responsible for triggering the potential for micro conductor damaging static???

I know that I am being laughed at right now, but it's ok, it would not be the first time.
:)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Gave me a little chuckle but it is actually a good question

Cobwebs are formed by charged dust particles and spider webs are formed by spider silk which is non-conductive.But as far as I know neither of these will cause static electricity.

I majored in science at the University of Google.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It may be an idea to clean out the dust and cobwebs, relocating the spider in the process.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I am kind of anal when it comes to computers and being clean. I have seen to many burnt up systems caused by this. Even if just a little dust, i would get out the canned air and go to town :D

Upvote 0

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
Gnosis can I please assure you that nobody is laughing at you my friend just enjoying a little chuckle with exterminator20 :D
there would be quite a few readers out there if they were honest thinking exactly the same questions (not me of course :lol: ) as you but probably none with the brass to put it out there on MT forum..+2 kudos.. (..I can't award you anymore than this as I do not have enough street cred yet :p..)....now back to business..I agree with illumination Gnosis I would get out the canned air and go to town..!!!!

@ exterminator20 I majored in sandiology and became a beach bum! :drinks:

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I havent used my desktop in quite some time.I left the side panel off after changing out a couple fans and a power supply.Needless to say after this thread I went and took a look :shok:

I have to believe that I am now the poster boy for the dust laden PC. I can report that it runs like a champ though even under these most heavy dust conditions.

I am unfortunately beyond the canned air.So I am getting the shop vac out after I finish posting this.I will report back with a status update later.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Nice responses.
I don't sweat a little dust as long as it is not enough to cause overheating issues.
I suck out my fans and air vents once in a while with a super high powered vacuum cleaner.

I was thinking of taking out the spider Ruskie Mafioso style, but if he is a "jumping spider", he gets to live. I love those little guys.

I am kind of anal

Ummmm, this is a family oriented site. :c

LOL

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Gnosis said:
Nice responses.
I don't sweat a little dust as long as it is not enough to cause overheating issues.
I suck out my fans and air vents once in a while with a super high powered vacuum cleaner.

I was thinking of taking out the spider Ruskie Mafioso style, but if he is a "jumping spider", he gets to live. I love those little guys.

I am kind of anal

Ummmm, this is a family oriented site. :c

LOL

Too late to change it now that you have quoted it...lol :p

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
We have black widows, but they prefer to stay out in the garage, but it is a sloppy web, like a widow's, so who knows. I have never seen any brown recluses here, which i am thankful for, because those love to hop into your bed before you lay down, and they love to climb up the legs of deck furniture that you are sitting in. We have hobo spiders, but i don't sweat 'em. You have to watch the widows though, because while they are content to stay put in their webs most of the time, they love to hang out on the bottom of the garage door's rubber seal that meets the concrete. If they were not automatic doors, I could have been bitten several times by now.
At least we don't have the favorite Aussie pet here........FUNNEL WEB SPIDERS. Ouch!

I try not to kill jumping spiders, even if they are in the house. I have some monsters in here, but they are harmless other than a fractional amount of recluse venom. The more jumping spiders means less chance of recluses or widows taking over. Jumping spiders also see well at day and have poor night vision like us, so they are much less likely to be roaming around at night and stumble into your bed. They are very antisocial, and do their best to keep to themselves. I hold 'em in my hand sometimes and get 'em to fight with me. Some are timid, while the older females are extremely feisty. They have to be Japanese R&D'ed and manufactured, because they move like Jap tech and their hydraulics for their wicked, yet accurate, rear leg thrusts are state-of-the-art.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

We have Funnel Web Spiders here in GIB... trust me they are far from being pretty. Last time I saw one in my old place, i did a stare contest that lasted for 2 hours. None of us moved, until the cavalry arrived to contain the spider and take it back up the rock.

I was sweating like a pig, shaking like it was winter on a summer day... but did not leave my spot (around 100 meters away tho)... yes you get the idea, I am afraid of spiders.

Gnosis, remind me not to accept any invitation for a beer at your place. Instead we go to exterminator's, as long as he only has dust and what not in his cribb.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
Gnosis, remind me not to accept any invitation for a beer at your place. Instead we go to exterminator's, as long as he only has dust and what not in his cribb.

lol...you guys are welcome anytime.Just have a few tiny spiders once in a while.I have a couple dogs but they are shiatsu's and harmless.
Can't say the same for the wife though.

Dust is gone!! Shop vacuumed it all out of my desktop and it's purring like a newborn kitten.I did wear an anti-static strip if you guys were wondering.Couple of cables got temporarily sucked up but they didnt look too important.

Update:Desktop makes a little noise but after a couple firm blows to the top of the case the noise is gone.

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Even tho my very own backyard is filled with the lovely spiders Australia has.

I don't have a single cobweb in my house. I keep it neat and tidy.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Cobwebs, pffft nah, leave it there. You might end with a best mate Mr Redback. :)

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

You've got it bro. I have no qualms with Chi' Town. Great pizza, and very outgoing people that are not scared to share their opinions with strangers; MY KIND OF CROWD, except for the Cubs fans. (lol) (Cards fan here)
Just joking. I truly do like the Cubs fans too. I like their style.

Can't say the same for the wife though.

LOL

Update:Desktop makes a little noise but after a couple firm blows to the top of the case the noise is gone.

LOL one more time!!

Thanks.

But what about your vacation home in North Korea?

Cobwebs, pffft nah, leave it there. You might end with a best mate Mr Redback

Heard that, buddy. Now THAT is wisdom. :) And from a young Aussie, nonetheless. :)

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Gnosis said:
MrXidus said:

Thanks.

But what about your vacation home in North Korea?

I don't know what you mean by that, What's North Korea got to do with my backyard and spiders? :)

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Your red tie wearing spook was sporting a North Korean flag yesterday. LOL

Don't tell me you don't know what I am talking about. Haha
Sneaky bugger.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

The "spider" is nor real, it is a nanotech machine that spies on you, it uses a network of micro-optic fiber cables connected to your motherboard, and intercept all the datas !!! Skynet is aliiiive !!! we are doomed !!!!

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Gnosis said:

Sneaky bugger.

Excuse me you delusional old man haha! I run with the Australian flag not North Korea.

Clean your screen. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Gnosis said:

Sneaky bugger.

Nope no idea. Please enlighten me. ;)

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Gnosis said:
You've got it bro. I have no qualms with Chi' Town. Great pizza, and very outgoing people that are not scared to share their opinions with strangers; MY KIND OF CROWD, except for the Cubs fans. (lol) (Cards fan here)
Just joking. I truly do like the Cubs fans too. I like their style.

Send all the spiders to Wrigley Field,I like the Cards better than the Cubs.I am a Sox fan all the way

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.