Solved Coinhive is possibly installed on my Windows 10 computer

robreus.groxum

Thread author
Nov 13, 2017
Greetings,

I have reason to believe I have Coinhive installed. I followed the advise from this website, which includes using Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and another software, but I think the cryptominer is still there. My computer has been intermittently becoming slow and it heats up very quickly, which is starting to worry me about the hardware. Additionally, I often see very high disk and network utilization, even though I am doing nothing. As I type this message, the fan suddenly starts to sound louder, and my laptop is already hot even though it is well positioned for ventilation, and in spite of having turned it on barely half an hour ago. This did not use to be the case. The free version of Malwarebytes has identified and quarantined a few potentially hamrful files in last two days, and Hitman Pro found several, too. But, I must insist on the heat and the utilization symptoms.

Would you please confirm if we can proceed as soon as possible? This is becoming urgent.

Thank you very much in advance,
Robreus Groxum

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    37.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Addition.txt
    39.5 KB · Views: 1

robreus.groxum

Thread author
Nov 13, 2017
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I ran another Malwarebytes scan and it quarantined additional files. The machine does not seem to be as slow as it intermittently was before, which is good. However, what worries me is that it continues to heat up too much, too rapidly, and for no apparent reason (while it is idle, or supposed to be). Do you think an analysis of the files I uploaded is necessary? Also, are there other tools besides Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and Emsisoft Emergency Kit that I should use? I haven't run further scans with the last two tools, if that may make a difference.

Regards,
Robreus Groxum

robreus.groxum

Thread author
Nov 13, 2017
About the heat, allow me to clarify again that the laptop is appropriately positioned for ventilation. The bottom is not directly against any surface, except for the sides. The fan grid itself is not blocked. There is enough distance between the bottom of the laptop and the desk (almost 10 cm), as well as from the laptop and the wall behind it.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
If CPU fan is full of dust then you'll need to clean it up. I suggest to do it or to visit repair shop if you're not familiar with it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.