Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Changes in COMODO Internet Security 6.3.300670.2970:
* FIXED: ‘Installer or Updater’ ruleset does not apply to child processes
* FIXED:’Restart Computer’ window does not appear after changing CIS configuration and further upgrading Windows from 8.0 to 8.1
* FIXED:’Hardware installation’ error window appears during CIS installation

DOWNLOAD:
CIS
http://download-cn.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/2000/standalone/cispremium_installer_x86.exe

http://download-cn.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/2000/standalone/cispremium_installer_x64.exe

CA
http://download-cn.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/2000/standalone/cav_installer_x86.exe

http://download-cn.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/2000/standalone/cav_installer_x64.exe

CF
http://download-cn.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/2000/standalone/cfw_installer_x86.exe

http://download-cn.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/2000/standalone/cfw_installer_x64.exe

I

illumination

For the first time, im highly disappointed.. I HAD "CIS" on my system until this update, when the installer asked to either modify my "homepages" or add Privdog.. I did not want either, but found i was forced to pick one or the other or the installer would not continue, so i chose Privdog, thinking, no big deal, will just delete it from CD like i did when first installed.. This was my thinking of course, until CIS starting poping up warnings left and right that Privdog was trying to inject and add itself all over, as well as Zemana poping up to tell me Priv dog was injecting code, well i found out after what this was all about, as Privdog was not just installed on browser, but on my machine, and on my Internet Explorer Browser, which i certainly did not give it permission to do.. I have been defending Comodo for a long time, when all the accusations fly, of Comodo being shady or doing shady things.. Well with stunts like this, it is no wonder people think this..
Im over it and done with Comodo..

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
All you needed to do was untick all the boxes and click cancel and the update goes ahead with no issues.

I

illumination

Amiga500 said:
All you needed to do was untick all the boxes and click cancel and the update goes ahead with no issues.

When you untick all the objects, the "agree and install button" is greyed out, unable to click upon, normally, refusing to agree by canceling, would not install the product. To me, this is a little shady.. First time i have ever felt this way about anything they have done, but yes, i do feel that way now.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Good security if modified correctly, but they need to streamline all the fluff for users that want to set up the bare bones parts of the security defenses.
I make sure to slim down the install and only allow core functions/components that don't issue pop-ups or virtualization that I get from Sandboxie.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Gnosis said:
Good security if modified correctly, but they need to streamline all the fluff for users that want to set up the bare bones parts of the security defenses.
I make sure to slim down the install and only allow core functions/components that don't issue pop-ups or virtualization that I get from Sandboxie.
Very true. After not using Comodo for 4-5 yrs, in the interest of beefing up defenses in XP I added their Firewall, based on recent tests done by a member of Wilders, after I'd spent quite some time with PFW and recently OA. It is appalling that to just get the firewall component you need to download an installer file of 190MB. The file size for the firewall is only about 45MB. Crazy. That said, I had no installation issues. I opted out to change homepage, but kept Privdog.

Side note: I changed DNS service from my ISP (Cox) to Comodo DNS. What a difference in speed! Cox is slothful compared to Comodo.
Edit: switched to Norton DNS a day later.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@illumination;

Did you just run the upgrade from within CIS or download the latest installer and run it?

I just downloaded the latest installer for CISx64 and installed it inside of Sandboxie and it allowed me to untick all the boxes and agree and install.

After the installation, I opened my default box and all that was installed was CIS nothing else.

I do agree Comodo has did many things in the past that I would consider to be shady or unethical but I will have to say I didn't find anything like this with the latest installer for CISx64.

Thanks. :D

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Littlebits said:
@illumination;

Did you just run the upgrade from within CIS or download the latest installer and run it?

I just downloaded the latest installer for CISx64 and installed it inside of Sandboxie and it allowed me to untick all the boxes and agree and install.

After the installation, I opened my default box and all that was installed was CIS nothing else.

I do agree Comodo has did many things in the past that I would consider to be shady or unethical but I will have to say I didn't find anything like this with the latest installer for CISx64.

Well 1st of all, I searched the internet almost all day yesterday for a standalone firewall installer. The only ones I found were old apps. So I had to download the installer for CIS, and then do a custom install simply to get the firewall component. Gnosis is right, for folks that don't need the entire suite, they should make available a separate installer just for their AV, and an installer for just the firewall.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Littlebits, could you tell more about Comodo's past of shady and/or unethical behavior? I never heard of such things.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You should never defend any product else you get blinded by the light.

illumination said:
I have been defending Comodo for a long time, when all the accusations fly, of Comodo being shady or doing shady things..

For example:

Jaspion said:
could you tell more about Comodo's past of shady and/or unethical behavior? I never heard of such things.

Why defend a product, you're not benefiting from anything.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Earth said:

Why defend a product, you're not benefiting from anything.

LOL. That's deep. What do you mean defend? Like a lawyer? Thinking product A is better than B is not defending it, it's just an opinion based on facts. So someone said there's shady stuff, I don't know about it and I'm asking because it's important to me, might change my opinion on them. How's that for defending?...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Aztony- Comodo does have different installers for the AV, Firewall, and Suite. They can be found here:

http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php

I also was surprised at the forced opt-in for either PrivDog or Yahoo. Personally I chose Yahoo. On my system the homepage change was blocked by WinPatrol, and for the search engine change I was alerted through IE.

Jaspion- Regarding past accusations about Comodo, about 5 or so years ago they packaged the product with an opt-in for the SafeSurf toolbar (if memory serves this was an Ask.com knock-off). A number of people started whining about this as if their dolly just fell out of the pram, thus beginning the bogus legend of shady practices by C.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I recently installed CIS and also updated it on another machine, but the opt-in was truly optional. Maybe this is a bug rather than a feature. Who knows. Maybe in the Comodo Forum there's more info.

I

illumination

Littlebits said:
@illumination;

I was upgrading, and obviously was not the only one that ran into this issue.

http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-633006702970-released-t99489.30.html

I

illumination

Earth said:

LOL, because people like you that "ABSOLUTELY LOVE" Comodo ;) Have always stepped in and told others it is a bad product, which while i think the product itself is an amazing piece of software, this little stunt with the installer swayed me to believe that it was intentionally designed to trick a person into choosing something they may not want.. I could be wrong, and it could be a glitch "a few have found" already, and if so i would apologize to the company, but if im right, and it was intentionally designed this way, then it is "a Shady" practice, i would be no longer wiling to defend, but instead, voice my opinion on.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
cruelsister said:
Aztony- Comodo does have different installers for the AV, Firewall, and Suite. They can be found here:

http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php
Thanks for the tip. I don't see how downloading form here would've helped the situation. The download file is 204MB, which means anyway you cut it you must download the installer for CIS to get whichever individual component you need. I took a screenshot but don't see an option to include.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jaspion said:
Littlebits, could you tell more about Comodo's past of shady and/or unethical behavior? I never heard of such things.

The Ask Toolbar incident has already been mentioned which wasn't as bad as some of the other things they did.

1. They knowingly sold trust certificates to malware domains then gave lame excuses for it.

2. They licensed their firewall to rogue vendors that scam users into buying it. Some of these rogue vendors are still selling Comodo Firewall clones today.

3. They added all of the ad-partners to their whitelists to avoid detection by CIS. Some of the things included in their whitelists are toolbars, dodgy vendors products, adware, many PUA's and maybe some of the malware domain products that they sold to trust certificates to.

4. Shady EULA and privacy policy on all of their products, all of their products collect user data and there is no way to opt-out. It is not clear what they collect or how they use your collected data. For the legal point, the way they worded their privacy policy it is like a legal form of spyware.

Enjoy!! :D

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
comodo_logo.jpg

:D

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Littlebits said:
Jaspion said:

The Ask Toolbar incident has already been mentioned which wasn't as bad as some of the other things they did.

1. They knowingly sold trust certificates to malware domains then gave lame excuses for it.

2. They licensed their firewall to rogue vendors that scam users into buying it. Some of these rogue vendors are still selling Comodo Firewall clones today.

3. They added all of the ad-partners to their whitelists to avoid detection by CIS. Some of the things included in their whitelists are toolbars, dodgy vendors products, adware, many PUA's and maybe some of the malware domain products that they sold to trust certificates to.

4. Shady EULA and privacy policy on all of their products, all of their products collect user data and there is no way to opt-out. It is not clear what they collect or how they use your collected data. For the legal point, the way they worded their privacy policy it is like a legal form of spyware.

Enjoy!! :D

Is this recent behavour which can be verified.?

Also you obviously know nothing about the digital certificate industry.
Melih has been calling for the use of extended validation for years to stop the very practices you accuse comodo of.

Check out the comodo forum.

All security products collect user data etc so singling out comodo is preposterous.

Have you verifiable evidence of these things and if so i would like to see RECENT evidence and not baseless blogs from years ago.

Have you asked in the comodo forum about these things?
If not then your post is meaningless.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.