Comodo 8.2.0.4674

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

I don't think the updated comodo firewall turns off windows built in firewall, i had to turn mine off manually.

It could be Comodo, but then again it could be Windows.

There is a long, long, long-standing issue of race conditions involving security softs and Windows Security Center\Action Center...

It's an annoyance rather than any kind of significant threat to your system security.

Reactions: Moose
D

Deleted member 2913

I don't think the updated comodo firewall turns off windows built in firewall, i had to turn mine off manually.
Previous CIS version use to disable Win FW...& when CIS disables Win FW it disables all 3 i.e Domain, Pvt & Public & not like others that only disables Pvt & Public.

And if you disable Win FW manually within the settings Pvt & Pub are disabled. To disable Domain you have to go to advanced settings.

So have you disabled Domain too?

And 1 more thing I have noticed. CIS correctly disables Win FW i.e if you check advanced settings of Win FW you will see all 3 Domain, Pvt & Pub disabled. But I have noticed with most third party FW that they disable Win FW on the main page only but when you check advanced settings of Win FW all 3 are enabled. Eset comes to mind i.e Eset disables Win FW on the main page & mentioned Eset is in control but if you check advanced settings of Win FW all 3 are ON?

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Previous CIS version use to disable Win FW...& when CIS disables Win FW it disables all 3 i.e Domain, Pvt & Public & not like others that only disables Pvt & Public.

And if you disable Win FW manually within the settings Pvt & Pub are disabled. To disable Domain you have to go to advanced settings.

So have you disabled Domain too?

And 1 more thing I have noticed. CIS correctly disables Win FW i.e if you check advanced settings of Win FW you will see all 3 Domain, Pvt & Pub disabled. But I have noticed with most third party FW that they disable Win FW on the main page only but when you check advanced settings of Win FW all 3 are enabled. Eset comes to mind i.e Eset disables Win FW on the main page & mentioned Eset is in control but if you check advanced settings of Win FW all 3 are ON?

All three are disabled.

Reactions: Av Gurus

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Actually, I'm not sure if they will consider it now. I've been informed (later by PM) that it's intended behavior but they will try to prevent any kind of conflict. Confused a bit.. I'm guessing version 9 will clear everything up. But then again some say Windows Firewall is disabled and some say it's enabled.
Perhaps it depends (eg different behavior) on the version of Windows like the Sandbox module.

D

Deleted member 2913

All three are disabled.
Did you disabled Domain manually or disabling Win FW through settings disabled all 3?
Coz on my previous OS Win 7..disabling Win FW through settings always disabled only Pvt & Public. Dont know how it works on Win 10?

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Did you disabled Domain manually or disabling Win FW through settings disabled all 3?
Coz on my previous OS Win 7..disabling Win FW through settings always disabled only Pvt & Public. Dont know how it works on Win 10?

I disabled all 3 manually.

D

Deleted member 2913

Actually, I'm not sure if they will consider it now. I've been informed (later by PM) that it's intended behavior but they will try to prevent any kind of conflict. Confused a bit.. I'm guessing version 9 will clear everything up. But then again some say Windows Firewall is disabled and some say it's enabled.
Perhaps it depends (eg different behavior) on the version of Windows like the Sandbox module.
Intended behavior? Thats confusing...Comodo always disabled Win FW here.
I too have posed the query on Comodo forum..lets see if there is any reply from Devs..as nowadays little activity on Comodo forum from Devs, etc... Yeah Melih is seen most often but he comes only to drop his regular lines like Congrats team, Well done or advertise Comodo products, etc...

Reactions: vivid
D

Deleted member 2913

Fresh Win 10 64 Install.

Installed Comodo Internet Security 8.2.0.4674

Windows Defender was disabled (Guess Win 10 detected Comodo AV presence & disabled WD)
Windows Firewall was not disabled (Manually disabled Win FW)

Running CIS default settings* (*FW - "Dont show popups" - Unchecked)
*Other GUI customization.
UAC disabled
Desktop Smart Screen disabled

Rating Scan 100% i.e 0 Unrecognized
Comodo Autorun Analyzer - 0 malware/unknown/suspicious entries.

Files List - Unrecognized Files - Empty...nothing yet

Imported AV Databases - Worked fine i.e Successfully imported.
Updates - Worked fine i.e Successfully updated.
AV - Checked with harmless sample - Realtime/Ondemand detection working fine.
AutoSandbox - Checked with harmless sample - Working fine i.e Sample was autosandboxed
Elevated Privilege i.e Unlimited Rights Alert - Checked with harmless sample - Working fine i.e EP i.e UR alert was there.

System & Program Response - Good
Browsing - Good
CIS - Light & Good

The only prob I have found yet---
Search i.e Taskbar Search not working i.e Search results not appearing (Before CIS install...Search was working fine)

UPDATE - After CIS install I restarted system 2 times but search prob was still there. 3rd time I did shutdown & started the system & search prob is solved now.
Dont know if shutdown or whatever solved the search prob but after shutdown & starting the system...search prob is solved.

UPDATE - Search prob - Restart the system & search prob is back. Shutdown & start the system & search prob is gone.
Dont know Win 10 or CIS prob?

UPDATE - Manually added firewall rule for SearchUI.exe & search is working now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender was disabled (Guess Win 10 detected Comodo AV presence & disabled WD)

Search i.e Taskbar Search not working i.e Search results not appearing (Before CIS install...Search was working fine)

It's not a new feature, since Windows 8, whenever Windows Defender detects a 3rd party Antivirus, it will disable itself.

Comodo may not be fully optimised to run on Windows 10, it's a new OS with new features and functionality. It's better to stay with less complex security solutions, as they cause less issues. Many security solutions treat Windows, like it's still XP.

@yesnoo Is SearchUI.exe 'Search and Cortana application' running in the background?

H

hjlbx

mpssvc.dll (Windows Firewall) is never completely disabled...

With CIS - and most other AVs with integrated firewall - installed and Windows Firewall showing Off in Action Center and Control Panel, check under services in Task Manager. You should find:

mpssvc.dll - "Running"

It is always running in the background... otherwise how would it detect when the 3rd party firewall is uninstalled ? In other words, so it can detect the uninstall and then pass that on to Action Center to prompt user to reactivate ?

If I am not mistaken, mpssvc.dll detects and then Action\Security Center reports (alerts\notifies)... typically in the Task Bar tray... so mpssvc.dll is necessary to be running in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,Friends!

> Upgrade to Windows 10 and uninstall Comodo Firewall about 3 weeks.
> Tried to install the latest Version of Comodo Firewall for Windows 10 couple week back.

> I got a message saying need to uninstall Comodo Firewall to upgrade the Comodo Firewall.
> But I already uninstall Comodo Firewall, 2 weeks, so these have to be ghosts files/folders.
> That where not uninstall with drivers ect.....

Answer from Comodo Firewall Forum below:

https://forums.comodo.com/install-s...update-cis-to-avoidfix-problems-t58620.0.html

In case somebody run into a problem with Comodo Firewall!

Kind regards,

H

hjlbx

To avoid bitter disappointment and massive frustration, my recommendation - based upon my own prior experience with earlier versions of Comodo products - is simply to not use Comodo on a W10 system for 9 months to a year. To be perfectly honest, I think it is going to take even longer than 12 months for Comodo to fix functionality on W10 since it is quite buggy on W8.1 nearly 3 years later.

It's going to take time for Comodo engineering to get it all sorted out...

Later, when you reinstall Comodo you will likely still be disappointed by bugs, but it won't be nearly as bad as it is at this point in time.

D

Deleted member 2913

I think the best way is to fresh install Win 10 & fresh install CIS i.e latest version
Atleast here yet dont have any probs on Win 10 64 fresh install & latest CIS.

Planning to fresh install Win 10 64 on other system & latest CIS.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.