Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'll quote you on this later, "community-based file sharing". :rolleyes:

MAPS collects any suspicious files, uploads them and delivers the remedy to remove the threat. How is that not cloud-based scanning?

Windows Expert Wiki said:
If an event occurs that requires immediate attention, the MSE update system will force an update to occur. Also, MSE employs a “Dynamic Signature Service” (DSS). Whenever MSE encounters something it does not know or recognize, it will send information to “Microsoft Active Protection Service” (MAPS). Depending on what MAPS determines from inspecting the information, it will cause an automatic download of definition updates to handle the malware.

Source

So tell me how does Comodo's non-"community-based file sharing" cloud work?

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Ahh my bad I thought it was someting like collecting the binaries/sources for manual processing etc...seems like it's automatic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for understanding how MAPS works now. :)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Earth said:
That's what this topic is about, solely Comodo Antivirus. No HIPS. No BB, Sandbox or Firewall.

And without the Cloud-based systems? Their AV is mediocre.

Yes but ALL av,s are mediocre without the cloud component not just comodo av.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo always performs worse off. Remember when spywar reported the Comodo Cloud was having issues, their detection rate dropped dramatically. Not that it matters, because CAV is better off as a whole Suite, than standalone.

dch48

Sep 9, 2013
Earth said:
That's what this topic is about, solely Comodo Antivirus. No HIPS. No BB, Sandbox or Firewall.

And without the Cloud-based systems? Their AV is mediocre.
That is an invalid criticism. Comodo's AV is not designed to run without the cloud and behavior blocker/auto-sandbox. It uses those technologies by default. Saying it's mediocre without those things is like saying bit defender or Kaspersky are no good without their signatures and heuristics. The Comodo AV does excellently within the framework of the entire package as it was designed to do. It also will do very well without the firewall turned on.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How so, because as far as I know, Comodo's Cloud check-up is optional.

Not to mention:
- Unreliable (ie. FP-rate),
- Untrustworthy TVL (ie. whitelisted malware),
- Misleading (ie. GeekBuddy notifications).

"It also will do very well without the firewall turned on." - Isn't it obvious? Every AV will do well without a Firewall, hence why Antivirus-only software exist. :shok:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OT: LOL. If it helps, I have used and liked some of their products. ;)

- BOClean
- Comodo Memory Firewall
- Comodo Firewall 3.x back on Windows XP and Vista, with Avast Free. However, I didn't like the route they took with V4 on onwards.
- Comodo System Cleaner (Not CSU or CPM)
- Comodo EasyVPN

The above were either discontinued, replaced or integrated.
http://forums.comodo.com/discontinued-products-b219.0/

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Earth said:
How so, because as far as I know, Comodo's Cloud check-up is optional.

Not to mention:
- Unreliable (ie. FP-rate),
- Untrustworthy TVL (ie. whitelisted malware),
- Misleading (ie. GeekBuddy notifications).

"It also will do very well without the firewall turned on." - Isn't it obvious? Every AV will do well without a Firewall, hence why Antivirus-only software exist. :shok:

The FP rate has dropped significantly over the years and remember comodo av is still relatively a young program.
As for whitelisted malware well thats a problem with the certification process which has been thoroughly explained by melih on the comodo forum.
Geekbuddy notifications can simply be turned off so there is no issues there.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.