Comodo Cleaning Essentials

How would you rate Comodo Cleaning Essentials?

• 5 Stars (Excellent)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • 4 Stars (Very good)

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • 3 Stars (Good)

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 1 Star (Poor)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never tried this product.

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Introduction to Comodo Cleaning Essentials

Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) is a set of computer security tools designed to help users identify and remove malware and unsafe processes from infected computers.

Major features include:

KillSwitch - an advanced system monitoring tool that allows users to identify, monitor and stop any unsafe processes that are running on their system.

Malware scanner - Fully customizable scanner capable of unearthing and removing viruses, rootkits, hidden files and malicious registry keys hidden deep in your system.

CCE is a lightweight, portable application which requires no installation and can be run directly from removable media such as a USB key, CD or DVD. Home users can quickly and easily run scans and operate the software with the minimum of fuss. More experienced users will enjoy the high levels of visibility and control over system processes and the ability to configure customized scans from the granular options menu.

Read More

V

Vextor

Good review, I agree with all the aspects you talked about. The advanced heuristics needs work so it can provide less false positives, but otherwise, good review.

I

illumination

It is in my toolbox! KillSwitch and the Autorun Analyzer are two valuable tools i use often!

D

Deleted member 178

IMO, the only annoying feature in CCE is the resource usage of Killswitch, too big for a "Portable apps".

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The point of CCE is to be a malware removal tool, however if you remove malware on highly infected systems daily like I do for my customers, CCE is a complete dismissal because:

1. For most successful malware removal, you need to boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking.
In safe mode, I have never seen a malware to be able to run therefore Killswitch is completely not needed since only Windows main process will be running.

2. Comodo scanner is very slow at scanning and updating and could the detection be any better than the basic tools: (Malwarebytes, Kaspersky TDSSKiller & Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Hitman Pro, McAfee Avert Stinger, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Dr.Web CureIt, SUPERAntiSpyware, Microsoft Safety Scanner, etc. plus all of the available free online scanners)?

3. Comodo Autoruns- the only useful part of CCE, however it is so slow and buggy that it would be much easier to use Emsisoft Hijack Free (included in Emsisoft Emergency Kit) or just Microsoft Autoruns.

4. CCE lacks the ability to repair basic problems caused by malware infections. Therefore everything has to be repaired manually. UVK (Ultra Virus Killer) for example has all of the basic repairs with just a few clicks and also has the basic removal tools included. Just one tool with everything included.

If CCE would add basic system repairs (registry fixes) that would definitely make it an unique tool. Isn't repairing the system a part of the cleaning process? Most other removal tools automatically fix most of the system repairs during the removal process (AS far as I know Comodo Scanner doesn't fix system problems, it only removes malware). Removing malware without fixing the system can lead to a complete re-install of Windows OS.

I give CCE 1 star for potential and the nice GUI. Of coarse improvement could come with future development.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
If CCE would add basic system repairs (registry fixes) that would definitely make it an unique tool. Isn't repairing the system a part of the cleaning process? Most other removal tools automatically fix most of the system repairs during the removal process (AS far as I know Comodo Scanner doesn't fix system problems, it only removes malware). Removing malware without fixing the system can lead to a complete re-install of Windows OS.

From the online help file.

Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) – Repairing Windows Settings and Features

I believe more repairs are added with each release.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

From the online help file.

Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) – Repairing Windows Settings and Features

I believe more repairs are added with each release.

It looks like Comodo added 4 new repairs to Quick Repair with the latest version of CCE.
If they keep this up with each release, it might be a slow process but CCE will have something very unique and useful. It would be nice to have a separate tool like "System Repair" to reset the system defaults. So far the only malware tools that has a complete repair system fixes is UVK.

Good day.:D

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool or Hitman Pro if we were only to choose one product to clean up an heavily infected system?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nikos said:
Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool or Hitman Pro if we were only to choose one product to clean up an heavily infected system?

It all depends on what type of infections.
If they are the common infection that most home users get, then Malwarebytes would be the ultimate removal tool since it gets that rogueware, scareware, ransomware, etc. that others don't detect.

These type of infections are more common for home users.
Out of the ones that you listed, Hitman Pro would be better because it uses multiple database signatures from several AV vendors.

Of coarse on a heavily infection system your best option is always to backup user files and re-install Windows OS. It is much faster and that way you will know for sure there is nothing else hiding that is not detected. (You got to remember some malware can go undetected for months or longer until signatures and other methods are developed to detect them.) If a system has several infections detected there is no telling how many more that are undetected. It is always best to re-install Windows to be 100% sure all traces of the infections are gone.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

i am using a serie of tools, only one is not enough.

when you wash a car, you use soap + water + a sponge, not only one of them, of course you can but the car will not be as clean as if you used all three.

P

Plexx

umbrapolaris said:
i am using a serie of tools, only one is not enough.

when you wash a car, you use soap + water + a sponge, not only one of them, of course you can but the car will not be as clean as if you used all three.

Correction:
You go to the car wash, get some change, use the high pressure hose with Water + soap. Then you use warm Water. Then you use Cold water. Finally you dry the car. Once dried, drive back home and continue the last step: WAX.

If you want a simpler example: To make a plate of pasta you need water, pasta, butter or olive oil and salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.