Advice Request Comodo Embedded Code Detection -- What to Add?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

The firewall component is needed as a safety-net in the CS setup, due to lack of HIPS and weak script protection and occasional false negatives from the Comodo cloud. If all else fails, the firewall will probably block the payload from calling home.
Does the firewall can detect when a legit process is being exploited (hollowed), i don't remember it does... So useless.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does the firewall can detect when a legit process is being exploited (hollowed), i don't remember it does... So useless.
I am no expert on the firewall component, but I don't think it can detect process hollowing.

D

Deleted member 178

Firewall original purpose was to prevent inbound connections, years ago security vendors implemented outbound monitoring, but it was when calling home malware were simple and easily recognizable.
Now they are so sophisticated that outbound monitoring can barely detect them especially if they use some cryptic Windows processes.

Security is about preventing suspicious things to get in, if something try to get out, the battle is already lost, you are good to reformat your system.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I tried it. The latest version is the same user experience as before, and no new security features.

If you run it on Windows 10 1809, and you set it at Proactive config (which is required for CS settings), the firewall goes berserk and randomly blocks System processes.
Think I'll be sticking to Forticlient for the time being then :p

~LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have syshardener on so called max settings, all firewall rules enabled, except bitsadmin. Only thing firewall blocked was forcing smartscreen, but after allowing that i dont have had any problems with the latest build

I rather remove cf, and keep syshardener tho

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I tried it. The latest version is the same user experience as before, and no new security features.

If you run it on Windows 10 1809, and you set it at Proactive config (which is required for CS settings), the firewall goes berserk and randomly blocks System processes.
I don't have that kind of problems with the latest version 11.0.0.6728 with my config :unsure: Am I missing something or just lucky?

Reactions: kylprq and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't have that kind of problems with the latest version 11.0.0.6728 with my config :unsure: Am I missing something or just lucky?
I am guessing that you already made the necessary allow rules, before you updated to .6728

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am guessing that you already made the necessary allow rules, before you updated to .6728
Maybe, but don't remember that many blocks.
Unfortunately I can't find any logs to see what is allowed by the user :rolleyes:
Would be great if we could compare that in a different thread.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe, but don't remember that many blocks.
Unfortunately I can't find any logs to see what is allowed by the user :rolleyes:
Would be great if we could compare that in a different thread.
Just look in the firewall rules and see if there are any custom rules in there, or only the default global rules. If no custom rules, and everything works, then you are lucky. If there are custom rules, and everything works, then you are smart. :)

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I have syshardener on so called max settings, all firewall rules enabled, except bitsadmin. Only thing firewall blocked was forcing smartscreen, but after allowing that i dont have had any problems with the latest build

I rather remove cf, and keep syshardener tho
I have also Bitsadmin enabled, for embedded code detection, but i am not sure if it will make any conflicts with windows updates.Otherwise it will add to security.I disabled CMD due to many notifications.

Reactions: ItsReallyMe

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Just look in the firewall rules and see if there are any custom rules in there, or only the default global rules. If no custom rules, and everything works, then you are lucky. If there are custom rules, and everything works, then you are smart. :)
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (y)
I'believe I'm more lucky than smart according to your definitions :D :
Comodo Firewall rules.jpg
Edit: removed all the custom rules.
After a reboot I had to add Kaspersky (avp.exe) and OneDrive to my custom rules because they were blocked by the firewall.
Thanks again @shmu26 Will see how it goes from here...

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have also Bitsadmin enabled, for embedded code detection, but i am not sure if it will make any conflicts with windows updates.Otherwise it will add to security.I disabled CMD due to many notifications.
I don't think that adding bitsadmin will do anything. Embedded code detection works with interpeters that have a file type associated with them, so the code can be written to file, but that's not the case with bitsadmin.

Reactions: Nestor

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I don't think that adding bitsadmin will do anything. Embedded code detection works with interpeters that have a file type associated with them, so the code can be written to file, but that's not the case with bitsadmin.
Thanks, i was reading in Trend Micro Forum that a variant of Locky used bitsadmin and some other malware.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks, i was reading in Trend Micro Forum that a variant of Locky used bitsadmin and some other malware.
Yes, you are right, bitsadmin can definitely be abused. It is used by malware to download the payload. Unfortunately, Comodo embedded code detection cannot block it, AFAIK.

Reactions: Nestor

What does it make a difference if an alert tells the user that it is wscript or *.vbs attempting to connect out to the network ?

Without the user knowing anything, what it says in an alert doesn't matter; a user has to study the extended list.

The HIPS can already do what embedded code does. The only difference is the alert is the attribution.

Messing about with COMODO's stuff, thinking it will be awesome, is a waste of time. You can create rules only to have them randomly disappear. So many people here have confirmed it.

Yes, you are right, bitsadmin can definitely be abused. It is used by malware to download the payload. Unfortunately, Comodo embedded code detection cannot block it, AFAIK.

Bitsadmin connecting out is attributed to SYSTEM.

Bitsadmin has virtually no legitimate purpose on home user systems and should be disabled. In fact, bitsadmin is deprecated by Microsoft.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What does it make a difference if an alert tells the user that it is wscript or *.vbs attempting to connect out to the network ?
If Comodo is working correctly, the user will not normally get any firewall alerts. So when he does get one from some wierd process he never heard of, he might think twice. And if he has followed CS's advice, he has set the firewall to block without alerting.

Bitsadmin connecting out is attributed to SYSTEM.
So let's say I mark bitsadmin as unrecognized. Normally, an unrecognized process will generate an alert. That won't work with bitsadmin, because it will be seen as SYSTEM? Is this only as regards firewall actions? Or does it mean that as soon as bitsadmin executes, it is already seen as SYSTEM, so no rule to block bitsadmin will work?

If Comodo is working correctly, the user will not normally get any firewall alerts. So when he does get one from some wierd process he never heard of, he might think twice. And if he has followed CS's advice, he has set the firewall to block without alerting.

So let's say I mark bitsadmin as unrecognized. Normally, an unrecognized process will generate an alert. That won't work with bitsadmin, because it will be seen as SYSTEM? Is this only as regards firewall actions? Or does it mean that as soon as bitsadmin executes, it is already seen as SYSTEM, so no rule to block bitsadmin will work?

1. You will never get any alert from COMODO because the interpreters and sponsors are trusted. It's ridiculous that all the AVs treat interpreters and sponsors as trusted. When Microsoft explicitly advises that they be disabled if not needed. Obviously they're running amateur night.

2. The COMODO documentation states the only difference is in the alert and what is attributed.

3. CS' advice to block outbound firewall only applies to sandboxed processes. That means exploit\malicious code can still be downloaded outside of the sandbox on the real system and run, for example in a memory buffer. It will more or less use trusted Windows processes and the system is hacked.

4. Bitsadmin connecting out on the network is attributed as SYSTEM. You have to block SYSTEM.

Bitsadmin is deprecated by Microsoft. It shouldn't even be enabled on anyone's system.

5. There is only one way to protect systems - and that is to follow Microsoft's own advice - which is to disable what is not needed. 99.999 % of home users across the world do not need the usual suspects. Microsoft is irresponsible and negligent in shipping Windows with them enabled or even included at in Windows for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.