Advice Request Comodo Embedded Code Detection -- What to Add?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, cmd produces too many alerts for the average noob to survive. That is why they modified the default config and disabled code detection for cmd.
The other monitored processes are much rarer and don't run on my system, such as java and python.

It's a joke. Just make the interpreters untrusted and every time they execute you will get a HIPS alert. That way the security program feeds back useful infos to the user. I mean, if you get an alert for say - RegAsm - out of nowhere, then you know something might not be quite right. For something like cmd, you can make limited permanent allow rules for it as a parent or child process.

There is an extended list of vulnerable processes. You learn the processes on this list. If you get a HIPS alert for any of those processes you take a look-see.

This is not difficult. Children and grandmas can do it.

mellowtones242

Level 2
Verified
Aug 11, 2018
I'm not sure if this helps but see below.

Embedded code detection protects you against file-less malware attacks. File-less malware attacks allow malicious actors to directly execute powershell commands on your system. These commands can be used to take control of endpoints, install ransomware, steal confidential data and more. File-less scripts reside in memory so no trace of them remains after the computer is restarted.

Example programs affected by this option are wscript.exe, cmd.exe, java.exe and javaw.exe.

For example, the program wscipt.exe can be made to execute visual basic scripts (.vbs file extension) via a command similar to 'wscript.exe c:/tests/test.vbs'. If this option is selected, CCS detects c:/tests/test.vbs from the command-line and applies all security checks to this file.
  • Enabled - If test.vbs attempts to connect to the internet, the alert will state 'test.vbs' is attempting to connect to the internet
  • Disabled - The alert will only state 'wscript.exe' is trying to connect to the internet'.
Click the 'Certain applications' link to view and select which apps are analyzed.

See Select Applications for Heuristic Command Line/Embedded code Analysis for more details.

Background note: 'Heuristics' describes the method of analyzing a file to ascertain whether it contains codes typical of a virus. Heuristics is about detecting virus-like behavior or attributes rather than looking for a precise virus signature that matches a signature on the virus blacklist. This helps to identify previously unknown (new) viruses.

Read More

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I just rely on syshardener and harden Windows firewall rules also with that, since comodo fw is running along with WF

If anything manages to run without my control, cf is ready to destroy

On topic: sounds too complicated:unsure:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
comodo firewall is completly compatible with windows firewll and they work realy well together.
They say that sometimes on the Comodo forum because Comodo Firewall doesn't know how to turn off Windows Firewall, and if you do it manually, sometimes you get scary warnings from Windows.
But it is true that they work well together, if both are at default settings.

E

Eddie Morra

Its frequently asked question but, from comodo forums i have gotten the answer you can have both enabled:unsure:
I'm not talking about compatibility - I should have been clearer.

I am interested in knowing why both of them are being used together in general - only if you'll spill the beans on why.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm not talking about compatibility - I should have been clearer.

I am interested in knowing why both of them are being used in general - only if you'll spill the beans on why.
If you install Comodo without the antivirus component, Windows firewall remains enabled by default, despite the false info to the contrary sometimes given in Windows Defender security center.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does this work well at all?'

~LDogg
Does what work well? Comodo firewall + Windows firewall? You won't even notice, and it works well, if you have both firewalls at default settings.
In fact, you can have even some block rules in this firewall, and other block rules in that firewall and they will all work. That's as far as I took it.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Does what work well? Comodo firewall + Windows firewall? You won't even notice, and it works well, if you have both firewalls at default settings.
In fact, you can have even some block rules in this firewall, and other block rules in that firewall and they will all work. That's as far as I took it.
Nice. What about the embedded code detection too?

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nice. What about the embedded code detection too?

~LDogg
embedded code detection at default settings is weak, because it is enabled only for powershell and java and python, but not for others. You can easily enable it for more processes, such as cmd.exe.
I found that it works well for powershell and cmd. I have serious doubts whether it works at all for rundll32. I was not able to test it for the other processes, because I don't have any software that runs fileless scripts for them.
Depending on your software, and how you use it, you might find this feature annoying, if you enable it for cmd.exe and certain other processes. That's why it is disabled by default for most processes.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
embedded code detection at default settings is weak, because it is enabled only for powershell and java and python, but not for others. You can easily enable it for more processes, such as cmd.exe.
I found that it works well for powershell and cmd. I have serious doubts whether it works at all for rundll32. I was not able to test it for the other processes, because I don't have any software that runs fileless scripts for them.
Depending on your software, and how you use it, you might find this feature annoying, if you enable it for cmd.exe and certain other processes. That's why it is disabled by default for most processes.
When put that way makes sense to leave it disabled as well then. Is this feature within the new version of CFW?

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When put that way makes sense to leave it disabled as well then. Is this feature within the new version of CFW?

~LDogg
It is in Comodo 10 and 11.
The default settings for it have been optimized for usability, due to user feedback when the feature first came out.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Fair enough. What's the new version if CFW like if you have tried it?

~LDogg
I tried it. The latest version is the same user experience as before, and no new security features.

If you run it on Windows 10 1809, and you set it at Proactive config (which is required for CS settings), the firewall goes berserk and randomly blocks System processes.

D

Deleted member 178

3rd party firewalls aren't needed for Average Joe (because they don't even how to use it anyway).

What they need is something preventing them to click on every crap they come across.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
3rd party firewalls aren't needed for Average Joe (because they don't even how to use it anyway).

What they need is something preventing them to click on every crap they come across.
The firewall component is needed as a safety-net in the CS setup, due to lack of HIPS and weak script protection and occasional false negatives from the Comodo cloud. If all else fails, the firewall will probably block the payload from calling home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.