App Review Comodo Firewall 10 against the Serpent

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I like the UAC/seatbelt analogy. COMODO is promising us that we will never crash. It's nice to have promises, but...

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@cruelsister thanks ;)

About Windows 7, i will never use it without a full layered protection setup, it is so weak in security...

@Yash Khan Comodo at default setting is wasting its potency and like using no protection ^^

Funny that Windows 7 felt as a big improvement over Vista and now compared to Windows 10 is less sophisticated in terms of security.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Reboot- I just realized I never answered your question about UAC and CF>

The best way yo describe my view is with an analogy: Assume that you are renting a car. When you are signing out for it they will offer Insurance; even though you may be the best driver in the world you would be a fool not to sign up for it UNLESS you already have some sort of coverage that will meet and exceed the policy that you would get from the rental car company (I love American Express!).

So it is with UAC and CF- even though you might be the safest computer user in the world there are still risks- you can just as easily browse to a normally safe website that now is serving up malware because their FTP credentials were compromised as you could get into a car accident because of a drunk driver- neither could be considered your fault but both must be taken into account. So if a person is just using some freebie AV, using UAC would be mandatory. But if you are using CF you are already getting all the protections afforded by UAC as well as much, much more.

In short, at my settings UAC really does not add anything in terms of protection (I hope that I was clear- I'm still a bit woozy).

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

The best way yo describe my view is with an analogy: Assume that you are renting a car. When you are signing out for it they will offer Insurance; even though you may be the best driver in the world you would be a fool not to sign up for it UNLESS you already have some sort of coverage that will meet and exceed the policy that you would get from the rental car company (I love American Express!).

So it is with UAC and CF- even though you might be the safest computer user in the world there are still risks- you can just as easily browse to a normally safe website that now is serving up malware because their FTP credentials were compromised as you could get into a car accident because of a drunk driver- neither could be considered your fault but both must be taken into account. So if a person is just using some freebie AV, using UAC would be mandatory. But if you are using CF you are already getting all the protections afforded by UAC as well as much, much more.

In short, at my settings UAC really does not add anything in terms of protection (I hope that I was clear- I'm still a bit woozy).
Could I get your opinion on whether a traditional antivirus is necessary when using CF at your recommended settings?

Reactions: reboot
D

Deleted member 178

Funny that Windows 7 felt as a big improvement over Vista and now compared to Windows 10 is less sophisticated in terms of security.
That is quite logic, and would be a serious issue if it was the opposite. However, admit i prefer Vista's UAC rather than the one in Win7.

Reactions: ZeroDay

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Great video thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
I started installing Lubuntu for basic users with old vista that all they need is email, YouTube and photos. They are very happy with it, no viruses pretty stable. Sure its not the same but for people that only using email its good solution. Old laptop with duel core CPU zero problem.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Arequire- No. not necessary at all. But as so many just feel more comfortable with an AV on board there is no real reason not to use one. A good AV will just take the workload off of the Sandbox.

Formerly I really liked Qihoo, but since the company was taken Private they initiated a plan to have ads on the freeware version. Already implementation of this has caused some issues as new components have been sandboxed- this may not be a bad thing at all actually, but I've not had the time nor the desire to follow up on this so I have to refrain from comment.

Currently something like Avast or BD can be used as a supplement to CF without issue.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017

@cruelsister Thank you for taking the time to come back and answer my question, especially in your woozy state. :)

I asked my original question in the hope that you would answer it in just the way you did (analogy, ecology check and all). :)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Arequire- No. not necessary at all. But as so many just feel more comfortable with an AV on board there is no real reason not to use one. A good AV will just take the workload off of the Sandbox.

Formerly I really liked Qihoo, but since the company was taken Private they initiated a plan to have ads on the freeware version. Already implementation of this has caused some issues as new components have been sandboxed- this may not be a bad thing at all actually, but I've not had the time nor the desire to follow up on this so I have to refrain from comment.

Currently something like Avast or BD can be used as a supplement to CF without issue.
Doesn't TSE still not have ads? Wouldn't there be performance overhead or possible stability issues in using AV to sway people who already have enough protection even if they were more comfortable with it?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

Thanks a lot. Had a bunch of people say the same and I was just looking for validation. May ditch my AV sometime in the future and give my system a whirl with just CF.

Last edited:
Reactions: reboot

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Terra- Qihoo Security Essentials also has the new promoutil.exe module which is the ad generator. However so far I just am seeing ads at the bottom of the on-demand scan screen (promoUtil will get called up only with the initiation of the scan). If this is going to be the extent of the displayed ads for TSE and/or QTS it would be a totally trivial matter.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Terra- Qihoo Security Essentials also has the new promoutil.exe module which is the ad generator. However so far I just am seeing ads at the bottom of the on-demand scan screen (promoUtil will get called up only with the initiation of the scan). If this is going to be the extent of the displayed ads for TSE and/or QTS it would be a totally trivial matter.
Although the ad is hardly invasive/obnoxious, its executable can easily be blocked at the firewall with no observed loss of QSE function/protection.

D

Deleted member 2913

So as per Qihoo Security "Essential" covers "Ads" too...:D

Seems new security features i.e essentials i.e ads will be coming soon...:p

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I am now using CF only, with no antivirus installed and Windows Defender disabled. I've never used a configuration without any antivirus, and to tell you the truth, I'm really enjoying it. The PC is much faster and more fluent compared when using WD or Avira.

D

Deleted member 2913

I am now using CF only, with no antivirus installed and Windows Defender disabled. I've never used a configuration without any antivirus, and to tell you the truth, I'm really enjoying it. The PC is much faster and more fluent compared when using WD or Avira.
Same here And system runs like no security software installed;):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.