App Review Comodo Firewall 10 against the Serpent

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Are you implying that we'll be incinerated if we follow Cruelsister' s advice or highlighting the strength of the attraction to her knowledge?
I just wanted to say something ironic. That statement made me do so.
I think she's the best one for advice on a very good way to find security+usability+efficiency on users advanced enough to navigate through and copy others' settings.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Terra- Qihoo Security Essentials also has the new promoutil.exe module which is the ad generator. However so far I just am seeing ads at the bottom of the on-demand scan screen (promoUtil will get called up only with the initiation of the scan). If this is going to be the extent of the displayed ads for TSE and/or QTS it would be a totally trivial matter.
Could always use CF to block network access to promoUtil, right? Assuming the ads start becoming more intrusive that is.
Arequire- No. not necessary at all. But as so many just feel more comfortable with an AV on board there is no real reason not to use one. A good AV will just take the workload off of the Sandbox.

Formerly I really liked Qihoo, but since the company was taken Private they initiated a plan to have ads on the freeware version. Already implementation of this has caused some issues as new components have been sandboxed- this may not be a bad thing at all actually, but I've not had the time nor the desire to follow up on this so I have to refrain from comment.

Currently something like Avast or BD can be used as a supplement to CF without issue.
Speaking of Avast: Do you see any point in installing their new behaviour shield if paired with CF? My thought process is that any unknown malware is going to go straight into CF's sandbox, so all the behaviour shield is going to be doing is monitoring legitimate processes and taking up unnecessary resources. (Unless malware pops up that's digitally signed with a certificate that's on Comodo's trusted vendors list, which I assume is an incredibly low chance.)

Last edited:
Reactions: reboot

Circe

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 3, 2013
I am now using CF only, with no antivirus installed and Windows Defender disabled. I've never used a configuration without any antivirus, and to tell you the truth, I'm really enjoying it. The PC is much faster and more fluent compared when using WD or Avira.
Same here & loving it. Comodo Firewall (Cruelsister set up) & no active AV).

Reactions: reboot

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I have kaspersky free installed with comodo firewall 10 ,which settings are mandatory for example hips and viruscope needed?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.