App Review Comodo Firewall 8.2 Beta Setup and (very) Brief Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013

This is basically a setup for those that may not respond to warning popups in the correct manner. The strengths are an automatic block of Sandboxed items from accessing the Internet, as well as blocking of API exploits and scripts. And of course Encryptors aren't an issue.

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Great video! i think install soon Comodo Firewall and use with QTS. Thanks for sharing this video and set up.

btw. Maybe for next video you can add quality to 720p for better details. anyway thanks. :)

Reactions: Moose

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
I had problems with Comodo firewall on Win XP, it was constantly accessing ctfmon.exe, I have not tried it on Win 7. I would like to know if they solved this problem, many people who use several languages on their PC complained about it.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Sorry about the quality- I did it on a train back to Manhattan from Connecticut yesterday, and was more concerned with ending it with the song more than anything else (really professional, I know...).

One thing I forgot to mention. As you may have noticed, HitmanPro showed up as unrecognized. This is not the case in reality; I actually un-whitelisted it just to demonstrate how to add a known good application to the trusted list.

In addition note that the deletevolumemountpoint api exploit was stopped by the Comodo sandbox. It works quite well in Sandboxie, however.

Viper- Very early versions of Comodo had issues (for some people) with the CTF loader, but that has long since been resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: LabZero

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Maybe I will try it again then, I liked CF but my HDD was constantly in use because of problem I mentioned.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that your review is very good and informative.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Thank you Viper. You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever with CF. As it doesn't have a local AV there isn't a need for it to much of anything on the drive.

D

Deleted member 2913

Sorry about the quality- I did it on a train back to Manhattan from Connecticut yesterday, and was more concerned with ending it with the song more than anything else (really professional, I know...).

One thing I forgot to mention. As you may have noticed, HitmanPro showed up as unrecognized. This is not the case in reality; I actually un-whitelisted it just to demonstrate how to add a known good application to the trusted list.

In addition note that the deletevolumemountpoint api exploit was stopped by the Comodo sandbox. It works quite well in Sandboxie, however.

Viper- Very early versions of Comodo had issues (for some people) with the CTF loader, but that has long since been resolved.
Is the deletevolume from testmypcsecurity that I had asked you in other thread to test to confirm.
And you had replied in Internet Security config, the volumes were deleted even though it was sandboxed.
So in proactive volumes are protected?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As usual I never was totally clear regarding the preferred CF setup. In order to block API calls a further trick is needed -the change made at 1:14 of the Video (activating the Restriction level and changing it to Restricted). That this setting is available to be used is what sets the Comodo sandbox apart from things like DefenseWall and Sandboxie.

There was another more restrictive option that could have been employed, namely changing the restriction level to Untrusted. The reason I didn't employ this setting was that I was trying to make a point with the Evil.exe keylogger- that the sandbox could be set to stop all Unknown apps from connecting to the Internet without any user input. Although this could be demonstrated at the Restricted level, if Untrusted was used instead the keylogger can't even run (which would have been boring).

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
My experience with Comodo firewall has been very bad because of its interference with windows updates.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I remember that being an issue about 4 or 5 years ago, but haven't heard of that lately. But no matter, what counts is if you are safe, happy and comfortable with your current setup. If so, no need for a change anyway.

Reactions: yigido and Moose

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Enjoyed! The video review! Hope that you make additional reviews are made down the road?

Last edited:
Y

yigido

Good settings, and I love the music :) Thanks shazam I have it now :D
By the way, I would like to suggest enable all advanced settings in firewall settings tab
BhqCi4w.jpg

Reactions: YuanJiawj

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
cruelsister said:

Well done Sis. As always I look to your expertise with Comodo for whatever it is that I want to know. The beta is running smoothly with zero issues. Now, I could be imagining this but my browsers (Firefox and IE) are opening faster with this beta version. Anyone else have the same experience? By the way, I used to ride that train from Stamford to the city but I just couldn't do it anymore. So I moved to the big island. How about that? You thought I was going to say I remained a Connecticut resident and quit the job, but no, I loved the job and still do but now I love living 15 to 20 minutes from the greatest city in the world.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.