App Review Comodo Firewall Setup- An Addendum

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Great video with nice background music, as always!

@Chimaira helped me fix the problem that I was facing with the Partial Limited setting instead of the Restrictive one, while using Windows 10 you really need to disable UAC using Local Group Policy.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Considering your extensive testing with CFW against malware over many years, I trust your decision to not bother with UAC. If having UAC off opened users to attack with CFW running with your settings, I am certain you would be screaming to keep it on!

Thanks for the video, very informative as always!

Allego

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2016
How to completely turn off UAC in Windows 10 Home edition because it has no Local Group Policy feature?

Reactions: AtlBo

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As a UAC example, let me expand on the last scene in the video- as you noticed, UAC kept hammering away asking if we wanted to block the Volume Shadow Copy Service (vssadmin). So although UAC would not in any way stop the encryption process, if we did block vssadmin from acting we would have saved our System Restore Point (assuming you have System Restore enabled). I am in no way trying to minimize this! On an otherwise unprotected system we would be able to restore our files.

Now, what about UAC and Comodo (which I didn't touch on for the Tesla)? If we had Containment at Restricted no UAC popups would have occurred, mainly because this malware actually spawns a daughter that does the damage. Restricted mode will prevent this spawning.

For the Partially Limited setting the malware would be allowed to spawn, but the daughter would also be contained. Now this daughter would also try to access vssadmin (but this also would be contained). If you had UAC on also, it would react with a popup, but the reaction would be to stuff happening in the virtual environment, thus clicking either Yes or No would not matter to your actual system [fun fact: consent.exe (aka UAC) is in this case also running in the sandbox. When the popup occurs flushing the sandbox at that point would also get rid of that popup].

I realize I might be going a bit into the weeds with the above, but in short Comodo meets and exceeds protection provided by UAC. If it did not then this would constitute a simplistic breach of Comodo and I would never use it (never ever).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
CS in your last video thread in post # 60 a poster shows how to disable UAC through a policy.
Video Review - Comodo Firewall- Cruelsister Variation

Only after I disable UAC through a policy that Comodo Sandbox worked as it should.

There is a bug between UAC and Comodo in Windows 10, thats for sure.

Before Local Policy:
Cruel Comodo Win

After Local Policy:

download-png.181996

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
In CF settings are set on "Restricted", but on KillSwitch it show "Unknown".

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@Nightwalker. Noob question. Why is there no UAC prompt with those settings? Does Comodo containment actually bypass UAC somehow or was it on a low setting? A question I started having a few days ago...

EDIT...I wonder if Comodo did this on purpose knowing that UAC would block everything that isn't Partially Limited...

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
@Nightwalker. Noob question. Why is there no UAC prompt with those settings? Does Comodo containment actually bypass UAC somehow or was it on a low setting? A question I started having a few days ago...

EDIT...I wonder if Comodo did this on purpose knowing that UAC would block everything that isn't Partially Limited...

There is no UAC prompt because I turned it off in the Control Panel (CS settings) but it isnt enough to make Comodo Sandbox works like it should.

If I disable UAC completely using Local Group Policy, Comodo will use the "Restricted" setting for everything (correct scenario).

Ps: I dont believe it is on purpose, imo it is a bug. @cruelsister is using Windows 7, so maybe thats why she didnt had the same experience I did.
Anyway like she said, it isnt a big deal because Partially Limited setting is very strong now, but because I am a little bit OCD this bug annoys me :LOL:

Edit: @Av Gurus made the testing scenario that I proposed before and had the same results that I did, so it is a bug for sure.

Reactions: AtlBo and Av Gurus

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Yeah thx. What a strange bug. It's good that you noticed that, and it seems like kind of a serious thing. Maybe Comodo will catch that and fix it at some point. It's hard to get their attemtnion on the forum....

Reactions: Nightwalker

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.