App Review Comodo Firewall Setup- An Addendum

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I would just like to say I do not recommend everyone turn off UAC through local policy simply because there is a bug with Comodo! Yes turning off UAC this way fixes containment not running at 'restricted' but considering CruelSister has stated that Partially Limited is more than secure now I'm not sure anyone should worry.

She has since mentioned turning off UAC completely isn't a good idea, so I would recommend not following my posts to disable UAC.

Do so at your own risk.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I would just like to say I do not recommend everyone turn off UAC through local policy simply because there is a bug with Comodo! Yes turning off UAC this way fixes containment not running at 'restricted' but considering CruelSister has stated that Partially Limited is more than secure now I'm not sure anyone should worry.

She has since mentioned turning off UAC completely isn't a good idea, so I would recommend not following my posts to disable UAC.

Do so at your own risk.

Well said !

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Allego- You can't turn off UAC totally on Win10 nor should you. Even at the off position UAC in Win10 provides protection of System Files from things like wipers.

So if I turn off LUA in the registry, that isn't completely turning off UAC? I get a prompt that I need to restart to disable UAC.

Reactions: AtlBo and Syafiq
D

Deleted member 178

I wonder what people are thinking about...

If a security soft doesn't do what it is supposed to do and its devs don't bother to fix it, what the point of using it....

I won't think twice, it goes to the trashbin.

Would you use a car with faulty breaks or airbags? i dont think so...

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I wonder what people are thinking about...

If a security soft doesn't do what it is supposed to do and its devs don't bother to fix it, what the point of using it....

I won't think twice, it goes to the trashbin.

Would you use a car with faulty breaks or airbags? i dont think so...

Yes, I have come to this conclusion too. I am not using CFW anymore. Apps requesting admin privileges are the ones that need the proper sandbox restrictions the most and CFW drops them to 'Partially Limited'? That is very backwards.

I wish Cruel Sister would actually address this directly and explain what is going on and why it isn't being fixed by Comodo.

D

Deleted member 178

But despite all, the CF it still keeps the OS clean, is it?
it doesn't matter; partially limited is the weakest restriction mode of the sandbox. so basically the sandbox lose its whole purpose.

I rather go with real sandbox softs (Sandboxie, ReHIPS, etc...).
Comodo's firewall was weak; the HIPS can't retain the rules you created and delete them all out of the blue for no reason (10+ years bug) and the sandbox (supposed to be its strongest features) is crippled to its lowest protection mode... and you ask people to keep using Comodo? come on...

Reactions: AtlBo

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Despite this bug (or design) I will remain a Cruel Comodo user, there isnt any evidence that Partial Limited isnt enough and just remember that the files are virtualized too.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I just made a quick video test to see what will happens with real malware.
It looks like CF is doing OK job and that malware in sandbox is with Restricted options.
So there is no bug with Comodo sandbox and UAC in Windows 10.

Thanks for the testing, but those malwares didnt ask for privilege elevation, so in this scenario the sandbox will works normally, the "bug" (or design?) happens when a file needs privilege elevation.

Try with Shinolocker or Petya/Santana ransomware.

Screenshot_1.png

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the testing, but those malwares didnt asked for privilege elevation, so in this scenario the sandbox will works normally, the "bug" (or design?) happens when a file needs privilege elevation.

Curious what to see if the Container is set to Run Virtually->Partially Limited in the first place? Nice test work. Thx very much.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Thanks for the testing, but those malwares didnt ask for privilege elevation, so in this scenario the sandbox will works normally, the "bug" (or design?) happens when a file needs privilege elevation.

Try with Shinolocker or Petya/Santana ransomware.

View attachment 182173

Can you send my or gimme the link for download?

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I had the impression that allowing this privilege escalation alert would actually bypass the sandbox. I'm glad to see it doesn't.

Haven't done any focused testing on the container dynamic, except to look at the dynamics of unblocking via "Unblock Applications". At any rate, I think maybe Comodo is really attempting to give the user running W10 and UAC the best of all possible scenarios for an unknown process with unlimited rights. Comodo says, "it can run but it will be running partially limited and in the sandbox." OK, yes this absolutely could be a bug, considering it doesn't work that way in Windows 7. It gets the user choice of restriction. However, this issue does seem serious if it is a bug.

Still, I think maybe I understand why this happens and maybe why it could be intentional. I'm not attempting to say this would be a good decision by the way. At any rate, clicking "Run Unlimited" means to the user, "just let it run." "I know what this is and it's safe." Well, since the app is sandboxed because auto-contain is on, Comodo could be thinking, "user wants unlimited rights for this , but auto-contain is on, and there has to be some restriction, or the sandbox is meaningless." OK, well it wouldn't be meaningless. It still could be run virtually100% without restriction and everything associated recorded in the box. This is dangerous since malware can break Windows and maybe break out of the container. Yet, I could see how it could happen for Comodo to actually decide on "Partially Limited" for that alert with the system set to Auto-Contain and in W10. Just maybe it is Comodo's choice. Again, not saying it's a good choice if so.

That brings questions for me. If this is Comodo's choice, why on Windows 10 and not Windows 7. So already I guess it's back to it could just be a bug. Yet, if it's a bug, then it is definitely Comodo's intention on 7 and 10 for the sandbox to use the user's containment settings even with the privilege elevation alert allowed. Well, I feel like having a discussion with Comodo about this wouldn't be simple. They want you to call it a bug even if it isn't one, because they probably don't want W10 users breathing down their neck about why their security was lowered on purpose. But then will Comodo do anything about it, or just bury it with all the other bugs? In the end, how can we know whether or not this was intended or if it's a bug? Maybe they just went out on a strange limb with Windows 10...especially with UAC on. It does have better native security than W7.

Very complex these issues to deal with with Comodo generally. There is one other question about this. Why does the privilege escalation alert say "Run inside the Container" or "Run Unlimited"? Shouldn't it say "Run by User Settings" or "Run Unlimited". Or maybe "Run Contained Partially Restricted (whatever user's setting is)" or "Run Unlimited". This alert is messed up I think. If the alert were phrased a way I could understand it, I think Comodo would still have to change the "Run Unlimited" part to sandbox but at a lower restriction or whatever they choose for the protections scheme (Internet-Firewall-Proactive). Or else users would knock on their forum asking why it doesn't run when they choose "Run Unlimited".

This is nothing but bothersome to me, not so much a concern really. I feel like Comodo just decided that users in Windows 10 get less strict treatment from allowing "Run Unlimited". Or it's a bug. However, I am interested to know what Comodo does if the original container rule is set to "Run Virtually"->"Partially Limited". I wonder if it would run the same way in W10. Would be interesting to see in W7 too...

One last thing. I happen to have heard that there is pressure on Comodo on this to actually change this alert so that there are multiple options. I got PMed on the Comodo site about it by someone interested in seeing the change. Hopefully it will be improved. I hope so...

Last edited:

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I had the impression that allowing this privilege escalation alert would actually bypass the sandbox. I'm glad to see it doesn't.

Haven't done any focused testing on the container dynamic, except to look at the dynamics of unblocking via "Unblock Applications". At any rate, I think maybe Comodo is really attempting to give the user running W10 and UAC the best of all possible scenarios for an unknown process with unlimited rights. Comodo says, "it can run but it will be running partially limited and in the sandbox." OK, yes this absolutely could be a bug, considering it doesn't work that way in Windows 7. It gets the user choice of restriction. However, this issue does seem serious if it is a bug.

Still, I think maybe I understand why this happens and maybe why it could be intentional. I'm not attempting to say this would be a good decision by the way. At any rate, clicking "Run Unlimited" means to the user, "just let it run." "I know what this is and it's safe." Well, since the app is sandboxed because auto-contain is on, Comodo could be thinking, "user wants unlimited rights for this , but auto-contain is on, and there has to be some restriction, or the sandbox is meaningless." OK, well it wouldn't be meaningless. It still could be run virtually100% without restriction and everything associated recorded in the box. This is dangerous since malware can break Windows and maybe break out of the container. Yet, I could see how it could happen for Comodo to actually decide on "Partially Limited" for that alert with the system set to Auto-Contain and in W10. Just maybe it is Comodo's choice. Again, not saying it's a good choice if so.

That brings questions for me. If this is Comodo's choice, why on Windows 10 and not Windows 7. So already I guess it's back to it could just be a bug. Yet, if it's a bug, then it is definitely Comodo's intention on 7 and 10 for the sandbox to use the user's containment settings even with the privilege elevation alert allowed. Well, I feel like having a discussion with Comodo about this wouldn't be simple. They want you to call it a bug even if it isn't one, because they probably don't want W10 users breathing down their neck about why their security was lowered on purpose. But then will Comodo do anything about it, or just bury it with all the other bugs? In the end, how can we know whether or not this was intended or if it's a bug? Maybe they just went out on a strange limb with Windows 10...especially with UAC on. It does have better native security that W7.

Very complex these issues to deal with with Comodo generally. There is one other question about this. Why does the privilege escalation alert say "Run inside the Container" or "Run Unlimited"? Shouldn't it say "Run by User Settings" or "Run Unlimited". Or maybe "Run Contained Partially Restricted (whatever user's setting is)" or "Run Unlimited". This alert is messed up I think. If the alert were phrased a way I could understand it, I think Comodo would have to change the "Run Unlimited" part to still sandbox but at a lower restriction or whatever they choose. Or else users would knock on their forum asking why it doesn't run when they choose "Run Unlimited".

This is nothing but bothersome to me, not so much a concern really. I feel like Comodo just decided that users in Windows 10 get less strict treatment from allowing "Run Unlimited". Or it's a bug. However, I am interested to know what Comodo does if the original container rule is set to "Run Virtually"->"Partially Limited". I wonder if it would run the same way in W10. Would be interesting to see in W7 too...

One last thing. I happen to have heard that there is pressure on Comodo on this to actually change this alert so that there are multiple options. I got PMed on the Comodo site about it by someone interested in seeing the change. Hopefully it will be improved. I hope so...

Maybe 'Partially Limited' is enough protection but I can't put my trust in it, also it begs the question what is the point of having the option of setting higher restriction levels if CFW is just going to ignore it?

This absolutely needs to be changed.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
I think we should change the auto-sandbox settings to 'alert' and we should choose the 'block' options if we ran an untrusted file instead of choosing the 'Run inside the Container' or 'Run Unlimited' until this bugs is solved :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
For anyone who would like to follow this a little bit on the Comodo Forum:

Login

I just posted the last post which I hope will help lead to correction of the error in Windows 10. First I guess it seems to me like fixing the privilege elevation alert would be something to focus on, since it doesn't describe what happens when the user makes a choice. Pls let me know how you feel about the alert and if you could understand what is says better than the current one.

EDIT: don't know why the link says Login btw. It's the thread page for me that is linked...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.