Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Hi every MalwareTips member, today I want to open a new discussion, I don't know if you are aware that lately Neil J. Rubenking - Lead Analyst for Security at PC Magazine reviewed the latest version of both Firewall, I just want to hear your voices and opinions regarding both Firewall, and I really appreciate your participation...

Comodo Firewall v7
Editor Rating: 4.5/5

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456941,00.asp

ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall 2015 v13
Editor Rating: 4.5/5

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456292,00.asp

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The best protection is based upon the user's habits, so both could give some users the same protection level.
You could not apply this to all users since some are reckless and neither one would be able to provide protection.

Comodo Firewall has HIPS which is more likely to flag more false positives which most inexperienced users would not know how to deal with. Of coarse if the user utilizes UAC, then HIPS would not be needed.

ZoneAlarm is more user friendly, uses Behavior protection instead of HIPS which will not flag as many false positives.
ZoneAlarm is more compatible with programs.

For myself Windows Firewall provides excellent protection along with UAC with no issues at all.

Just a note: Never trust review sites or testing sites, they will install a product use it for about an hour or less then write a review.
You need to test a product for at least 30 days in order to see how it works and if any potential problems occur.

Enjoy!! :D

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
@venustus

Could you give your opinion?, thank you :)
Sure I can!:)
I like Comodo because it allows me to block certain programs from acessing the net/calling home etc!It serves my purpose very well!
It is easy to customise as "per your" needs!
Just my personal opinion!;)
I only use the Firewall component!
Thanks!:):D

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I like Comodo because it allows me to block certain programs from acessing the net/calling home etc!It serves my purpose very well!
Great to hear your voice, thank you bro, and I'm sure Comodo firewall will serve you well

I

illumination

I have in a place a theory now, that if you have to block it's outbound connection, you probably should not have it on the system in the first place. As far as a malicious problem, trying to connect outbound, it is generally better to keep them off the system as compared to just blocking the outbound as well.. ;) :)

Windows firewall now days from windows vista on provides enough protection with decent habits.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I have in a place a theory now, that if you have to block it's outbound connection, you probably should not have it on the system in the first place. As far as a malicious problem, trying to connect outbound, it is generally better to keep them off the system as compared to just blocking the outbound as well.. ;) :)

Windows firewall now days from windows vista on provides enough protection with decent habits.
Granted!:);)

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
@Littlebits

thank you bro, but Don't you see any difference between PC Magazine and other reviews sites?, btw he's Lead Analyst for Security and I followed his reviews regarding most of security products and he was really doing a deep research and Malware tests sometimes fo more than a couple of days just to get into great result

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Hi Rebsat, I believe it is more to do with your requirement and choice. Both of them are equally good though my personal choice is Zonealarm since I find the OS firewall component very effective in me having full control over what will run on my pc. I have been highly satisfied with Zonealarm. Comodo has always been an issue of concern to me regarding its compatibility on my pc

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
@trainbus120

Thank you man for your good explanation :) , btw I don't understand "OS firewall component", I've heard alot before through reading ZoneAlarm firewall reviews, what does it mean exactly?, what it can do? and Is it available in other firewalls like Comodo and OA?

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Ganzi

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Depends on your level of experience. I feel that Zonealarm is a little easier on begginers. Comodo has a little more of a learning curve. Don't discount Online Armor either. The free version is very good and is worth checking out.

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
@trainbus120

Thank you man for your good explanation :) , btw I don't understand "OS firewall component", I've heard alot before through reading ZoneAlarm firewall reviews, what does it mean exactly?, what it can do? and Is it available in other firewalls like Comodo and OA?
Rebsat, its a feature wherein the applications running, new installs and changes in startup are being monitored by os firewall feature. This enables the user to have control if what is running and changes which happen.

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
No exploit protection is still a real let down with ZoneAlarm firewall :(

Unfortunately the latest version is the same, Neil J. Rubenking explained further more:
"Normally I attack firewalls using exploits generated by the CORE Impact penetration tool http://www.coresecurity.com/core-impact-pro
However, ZoneAlarm doesn't attempt to block exploits, not even in the PRO edition. Full-scale exploit blocking is something generally found in major security suites like NIS and KIS... like ZoneAlarm, Comodo doesn't attempt network-level protection against attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Windows or applications, so I didn't run my exploit test".

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
No exploit protection is still a real let down with ZoneAlarm firewall :(

Unfortunately the latest version is the same, Neil J. Rubenking explained further more:
"Normally I attack firewalls using exploits generated by the CORE Impact penetration tool http://www.coresecurity.com/core-impact-pro
However, ZoneAlarm doesn't attempt to block exploits, not even in the PRO edition. Full-scale exploit blocking is something generally found in major security suites like NIS and KIS... like ZoneAlarm, Comodo doesn't attempt network-level protection against attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Windows or applications, so I didn't run my exploit test".

This is a misconception that Comodo can protect against OS level exploits neither can any other software level type security product.
OS Level exploits can only be blocked by applying the latest Windows Update patches and utilizing UAC which runs at the OS Kernel Level. Anything that can bypass the OS Kernel can easily bypass any software level security product like Comodo.

Comodo and other security products only can protect system from software level exploits, that is it.
Software level exploits also require users to manually download and run a malicious file and can be blocked by keeping your software updated. UAC also can block software level exploits, therefore exploit blocking is not really a needed feature in a security products.

Just pay attention and don't download files from unknown sources and utilize UAC, then you will never need exploit blocking features.

Enjoy!! :D

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
@Littlebits

Thank you, now it's clear to understand :) but according to what you've told me from belows:
Comodo Firewall has HIPS which is more likely to flag more false positives which most inexperienced users would not know how to deal with. Of coarse if the user utilizes UAC, then HIPS would not be needed.
but ZoneAlarm Firewall is more user friendly, uses Behavior protection instead of HIPS which will not flag as many false positives. ZoneAlarm is more compatible with programs.

Now, Which one you highly recommend to me to use? ZoneAlarm firewall ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Ganzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.