Battle Comodo Firewall w/ MSE or CIS Proactive or CIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
So, at the moment I have COMODO Firewall w/ MSE.

I just found these settings:
LF9tJ.png

and I was wondering if I should activate the Proactive or the CIS configuration and remove MSE.

or MSE w/ Proactive.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
The term they use for HIPS products like Comodo, Online Armor, Outpost, Malware Defender, etc is "fools tools" and I'm not joking.

microsoft developers :dodgy: If Windows was properly done, MSE will never exist. who are the fools...

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
The term they use for HIPS products like Comodo, Online Armor, Outpost, Malware Defender, etc is "fools tools" and I'm not joking.

microsoft developers :dodgy:

If Windows was properly done, MSE will never exist. who are the fools...

Built-in MSE into Win8 instead of truly reinforce the kernel or making it impervious...

$$$ rules them all...their precious ^^

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Microsoft Developer Network is not just for Microsoft products, many software vendors are a part of the group.

So it has nothing to do with Microsoft Security Essentials since many other security vendors are members.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

i took MSE as example, i meant with all those serious threats praying upon Windows like ransomwares and co, i prefer an HIPS than being infected and waiting a cure.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
i took MSE as example, i meant with all those serious threats praying upon Windows like ransomwares and co, i prefer an HIPS than being infected and waiting a cure.

MSE focuses on the wild spread malware as priority. Many samples distributed by forums and other links are not wide spread and the possibility of getting the infection is very rare.

Also note: ransomware doesn't NOT automatically download and install to your system. The end user has to manually download and manually install.
So if you are one of those users who doesn't know to to safely download and install files, you can get infected.

That is not the fault of any AV, the end user has to take responsibility for their actions, no AV will detect everything.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Also note: ransomware doesn't NOT automatically download and install to your system. The end user has to manually download and manually install.
That is not the fault of any AV, the end user has to take responsibility for their actions, no AV will detect everything.

Absolutely, i mentioned that previously, but most of the infections found on my friends/customers were got via Usb sharing with malwares packed into pictures/docs/game installers and cracks (in some countries buying a softwares suite like MS Office or Photoshop is out of reach of many people, cracks are needed)

AVs are unable to catch them until a signature is released or their heuristic setting maximized (few people do it), it is why an HIPS/BB or similar softs are needed now, many vendors understood that and incorporate them in their solutions.

should we live without an HIPS, yes; can we afford to live without it, not in all case.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Sorry I will not be able to provide any links to confirm this claim but at the same time nobody will be able to provide any links to discredit this claim. It is just something that most Windows developers know. You can choose to believe it or not either way doesn't matter to me because it is your system that you will have to deal with.

Let's say if Microsoft published an article about how dangerous HIPS products are and how you should avoid using them. This would only hurt Microsoft since they have so many partners that they have to do business with. So don't expect Microsoft to post any links. But if you really want to know more join Microsoft Developer Network and ask some of the professionals what they think about HIPS products.

Good day.:D

I could wave my credentials around, but that is neither here nor there. I'll just state that my background is in electronics and that I made my living as an electronics technician for many years. Yes, I'm a professional who worked daily, troubleshooting and repairing electronics devices.

I really don't care what anyone at the Microsoft Developer Network thinks about a HIPS from a software standpoint, or what sort of impact a software engineer feels the impact of a piece of software will have on system hardware. There is a reason that there are both software and hardware engineers. Software engineers come up with what they'd like to have happen, and the hardware engineers are the guys who figure out if that is technically possible.

Granted, I know a bit about programming, but that's not my specialty. I'm speaking merely of your eyebrow raising claim that a HIPS will shorten the lifespan of your systems components, and the innards of your computer are something that I happen to know quite a bit about. And no, we're not talking things I've read from "professionals" in the field, but things I've learned from years of schooling and actual experiences of being a professional working in the field...

Lets look at the processor. Easily the hardest working component in your computer. As long as you do not exceed the recommended operating parameters, you are not going to do any damage to your processor. As long as your processor has adequate cooling and is operating under the recommended specs, your processor is completely happy to run under full-load conditions with no impact on your processors expected lifespan. It was designed to do this.

Of course, MTF (Mean Time to Failure) is a difficult thing to predict in an electronic component, and there will always be outliers, (a component that fails much earlier than expected) but the manufacturers have a pretty good idea about the expected lifespan of a component. These outliers can easily lead to the erroneous conclusion that something software oriented could have led to a shortened lifespan, when the actual failure was due to a simple mechanical failure in the chipset. But again, as long as the CPU is being operated within the stated operating parameters, your CPU is just fine.

In general, it's a safe bet that you will replace your CPU because it is hopelessly obsolete long before it actually fails. I have some processors that are almost 30 years old that still work just fine.

And of course, your computer has safety features to keep your CPU within those safe operating limits. The motherboard has temperature monitoring to shut the system down before damage occurs, and most modern processors have built in safety features such as internally lowering the clock speed to reduce heat.

The only possible component that I could see being affected by HIPS usage would be the HD. But these days, people regularly stream music and video from their PC's, Defrag their HD's daily, Run obsessive AV scans, etc... which would place considerably more strain on the HD than a HIPS ever would. Especially in the case of modern whitelisting HIPS products. In which case, only unknown processes are monitored. Again, you're much more likely to replace your HD before it actually fails, even with the increased read/write cycles I mention above.

So please forgive me for being skeptical that any software I run on my PC is capable of doing any meaningful damage to my hardware.

I'm considering the dead horse to be well and completely flogged at this point... :rolleyes:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@ HeffeD excellent point of view +3

I will have to say the HIPS community is a bunch of dedicated users specially the Comodo group, it really doesn't matter to them one way or another they will stand by their HIPS product until the very end even if their ship sinks, they will go down with it.

Enjoy!!:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
@ HeffeD excellent point of view +3

Thank you.

Littlebits said:
I will have to say the HIPS community is a bunch of dedicated users specially the Comodo group, it really doesn't matter to them one way or another they will stand by their HIPS product until the very end even if their ship sinks, they will go down with it.

Yeah, somehow I knew that was coming... :rolleyes:

If you'll notice, I've not said one word about Comodo. Contrary to what you obviously think, I'm no fanboy.

I guess I could say the exact same thing about the anti-HIPS community. ;)

Difference of opinion is what makes this world great. :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Difference of opinion is what makes this world great.

I totally agree, if everyone here had the same exact opinions and views, MalwareTips would be quite boring.

What is great about this forum is we can all have different opinions and views and still be friends. Only a few times have I seen things get a little out of control.

It makes no different to me if someone is a fanboy or not.
People tend to stand up for what they believe in and that is human nature.

Some fanboys can be good friends!! sometimes it is the differences that attracts people together.

Some of my favorite members here are the ones with different views.

Good day.:D

D

Deleted member 178

there is two kind of people about HIPS:

1- the ones that tried an HIPS and said: "i have unlimited powaaaaa"

2- the ones that tried an HIPS and said : "shut up ! stupid soft"

i am among the first category, my main preoccupation is to choose between OAP and CIS :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
More info passed down to me by one of my developer friends:

Patching the kernel has never been supported by Microsoft because it can cause a number of negative effects. Kernel Patch Protection protects against these negative effects, which include:
The Blue Screen of Death, which results from serious errors in the kernel.
Reliability issues resulting from multiple programs attempting to patch the same parts of the kernel.
Compromised system security.
Rootkits can use kernel access to embed themselves in an operating system, becoming nearly impossible to remove.
Products that rely on kernel modifications are likely to break with newer versions of Windows or updates to Windows that change the way the kernel works.
Microsoft's Kernel Patch Protection FAQ further explains:
Because patching replaces kernel code with unknown, untested code, there is no way to assess the quality or impact of the third-party code...An examination of Online Crash Analysis (OCA) data at Microsoft shows that system crashes commonly result from both malicious and non-malicious software that patches the kernel.

If you didn't know all HIPS software patch into the system kernel which is NOT recommended by Microsoft. As stated, it can even add vulnerabilities to Windows, break Windows Updates, cause BSOD and system crashes. Some of the other reasons Microsoft does not use this method. So isn't it possible that it could also shorten the life span of computer components? As I stated in my previous post, HIPS uses the exact same methods that malware uses like rootkits and fake antivirus.

Kernel Patch Protection was never added to Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 because of all of the problems with security vendors opposing it.

Only parts were added to Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 x64 and Windows XP x64.

If Microsoft went ahead with their plans and added Kernel Patch Protection, no HIPS products would be able to function on Windows, they would all be obsolete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Patch_Protection

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487353.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.