Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what about installing comodo free firewall, on win10 pro x64 stable build?
my security config is windows firewall + windows defender + malwarebytes anti-exploit free + malwarebytes anti-ransomware beta + spyshelter free

Is it recommended in my case, and what tweaks should I apply?

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
malwarebytes anti-exploit free

Please note that MBAE possibly conflict with CFW: Known Issues & Conflicts - Anti-Exploit Product Support - Malwarebytes Forum
  • New Comodo Bug. We found a second new bug in Comodo which may cause conflict with MBAE and result in browsers not being able to open correctly. It seems when MBAE injects after Comodo there is no problem, but if Comodo injects after MBAE then Comodo doesn't handle the chained hooks correctly. A fresh re-install of MBAE might temporarily solve the problem (as it sometimes makes MBAE handle the API hooks after Comodo) but the definite bug fix must come from Comodo.

spyshelter free

You would use CFW along with SpS Free? In my opinion, this might not be a good idea.

As far as I know, HIPS softwares will use hooks to monitor the activities of applications.

I know little about hooks, but I hear that hooks of different security products could conflict with each other with a non-zero probability.

I am afraid that such kind of conflicts would not only influence the stability, but also influence the protection. (I have no evidence, just some thoughs...)

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Please note that MBAE possibly conflict with CFW: Known Issues & Conflicts - Anti-Exploit Product Support - Malwarebytes Forum

You would use CFW along with SpS Free? In my opinion, this might not be a good idea.

As far as I know, HIPS softwares will use hooks to monitor the activities of applications.

I know little about hooks, but I hear that hooks of different security products could conflict with each other with a non-zero probability.

I am afraid that such kind of conflicts would not only influence the stability, but also influence the protection. (I have no evidence, just some thoughs...)
yep, I think you're right. I didn't realize that comodo firewall free version had HIPS like that. It is a bit more than I expected...
I am expeiencing system freeze, so I uninstalled comodo.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
You can use Comodo only as firewall, just disable hips and sandbox.

Reactions: tonibalas

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can use Comodo only as firewall, just disable hips and sandbox.
good idea, please tell me where to find that setting, I was fumbling around and the system kept freezing up.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
never mind, I found it in their help, how to turn off HIPS. The auto-sandbox is disable by default.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
okay, I turned off all modules except for firewall, because it looked like overkill, seeing as spyshelter free does a lot of the same type of things.

question: how much am I gaining, if I enable only the firewall module, or is windows firewall pretty much the same ?

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
okay, I turned off all modules except for firewall, because it looked like overkill, seeing as spyshelter free does a lot of the same type of things.

question: how much am I gaining, if I enable only the firewall module, or is windows firewall pretty much the same ?
If your on your own LAN and got full control over it? Nothing except that it is easier to work with than Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, but you can always use TinyWall or Windows Firewall Control for that.
Comodo has some good additional protection when you join public networks, saved my laptop quite some times while studying CCNA and CCNP, some always just got to try if they can mess the network up with spoof attacks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.