App Review Comodo FW bypass malware the sandbox (sandbox hips off + on) and voodooshield (autopilot)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I would like to know how Kaspersky TAM reacts to this little monster
Yes, I'd be interested in this too. Back on topic though, It's completely unrealistic to think that any security can't be bypassed. If someone has the knowledge and experience they'll bypass anything. As Wave stated, Comodo Sandbox is sophisticated, so, someone with the ability to bypass it may very well have the experience to bypass whatever they choose. Thinking ANY security software cannot be bypassed is just naive, just because something hasn't been bypassed at all, or it's been bypassed once a long time ago doesn't mean it can't happen. And no matter what your security config, someone with both the knowledge and experience will bypass everything you've got, And some of those people do it just for fun.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am still not clear on the facts of the case.
As far as I understand, at the time of the test it was completely undetected on VT.
And it was (mistakenly) on COMODO trusted list, although this was corrected shortly afterward.
But did it have a digital sig, and if so, was it a valid one?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I am still not clear on the facts of the case.
As far as I understand, at the time of the test it was completely undetected on VT.
And it was (mistakenly) on COMODO trusted list, although this was corrected shortly afterward.
But did it have a digital sig, and if so, was it a valid one?
It didn't have a sig. It was just added in trusted files by mistake.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For any that are interested-

1). This file was NEVER EVER trusted by Comodo, especially as it was new and unsigned. As I intimated in my video I believe that there was a Configuration issue in the original video post.
2). Sandboxie, although allowing the Textbox popup, will prevent schtasks.exe from running thus (like Comodo) stopping the process cascade.
3). Qihoo will also detect and stop the schtasks mechanism resulting in no system changes.

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
For any that are interested-

1). This file was NEVER EVER trusted by Comodo, especially as it was new and unsigned. As I intimated in my video I believe that there was a Configuration issue in the original video post.
2). Sandboxie, although allowing the Textbox popup, will prevent schtasks.exe from running thus (like Comodo) stopping the process cascade.
3). Qihoo will also detect and stop the schtasks mechanism resulting in no system changes.

There is a setting that was used in the test, see where the error Thanks for any comments.

H

hjlbx

The moral of the story is to maintain a healthy suspicion of the unknown, and not rely on the gods or technological wonders to protect you.

The moral of the story is to not allow an unknown\untrusted file to execute on the system in the first place.

Even allowing a file to execute, but holding it in a suspended state can result in infection\disaster.

All these videos just illustrate one simple fact over-and-over - if you allow it to execute, then at some point, in some way, your AV\HIPS\sandbox\FIrewall\virtualization\rollback\etc will be bypassed or smashed and you will have to deal with the reality and disappointment.

It's funny, after-the-fact most people will say: "I wish I didn't execute that file..."

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
FYI verdict changed to malware.
http://i.imgur.com/HK7aHB5.png

If the verdict on malware and why tonight after updating the database is still recognized as the most secure ????
After the update already did have to be labeled as malware by cloud or reputation.

The new test after the recognition as malware!

part1)

After rebooting pc

part2)

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
I layered protection as Comodo + free voodooshield may fail once is enough zero day malware (VT detection 0%) and Bumm. In this case, I relied on CF and voodooshield as nearly invincible .-) nothing is 100%

Get both products on a bicycle Suddenly I expected.Good luck and a layer of protection every day .-))

PS:It is already voodooshield stops malware by developer.If you take, you will:
Disable the scan checkbox in VS settings , you should have a prompt.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Interesting !!
Try this option then test file again

2016-10-31_00h16_22.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.