Advice Request Comodo installing PUP?!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
When you install it it prompts you if you want to install a bundled program, but its often missed due to many users just going all out clicking the Accept/Next button when installing software.
The file appears as soon as running the installer, I haven't clicked on anything from within the installer.
Code:
fusion.dll
fusion.dll.tmp
1599256763156.png

Source: VirtualBox VM with Windows 10.

Last edited:

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
The file appears as soon as running the installer, I haven't clicked on anything from within the installer.
Code:
fusion.dll
fusion.dll.tmp
View attachment 245933
Source: VirtualBox running Windows 10.
Huh, thats weird, from my experience it has sometimes not prompted you to download some extra software, but it hasnt downloaded it secretly in the background, ive also found those fusion.dll files aswell when using hitmanpro and having comodo installed on my system a year or so ago, but I never knew they were part of comodo, perhaps false positives?

Edit; ran it in my virtual machine, its possible fusion.dll is part of the process that downloads the bundled software, but isnt malicious in on itself, its also possible comodo uses the same service that adware/bundlers use.

Edit 2: looking up the detection names possibly confirms my theory Comodo may be using the same service, FusionCore, as many other bundlers use.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
The online installer has always had bundled software, well certainly for the last year or so. I think if you use the offline installer you won't get the other product offers. It's quite easy just to click decline or No when prompted. It's been awhile since I last installed it but I think it was just a case of declining the software offer. Maybe we'll see things change with this in upcoming versions but a couple of AVs have falsely detected the installer as PUP because of the software offers. Solution: use offline installer.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As @ErzCrz said, offline installer doesnt contain the bundled comodo stuff.
CIS Premium Offline Installer also does not contain Internet Security Essentials, which according to their FAQ, only works with Internet Explorer at this moment still (in other words, useless, unless they havent updated their version 12 FAQ)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Fusioncore is used as adware bundler, thats why its detected by every av...comodo just uses it as bundler too, but theres nothing suspicious about it in this case

koloveli

Level 4
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
comodo internet is free and protected PCs;
others companies software antivirus offer bundled, then if think about it... not used devices would return read books;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.