App Review Comodo Internet Security 5.9 Preview by LanGuy99

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Apart from the video being an Advertisement for Comodo. Lets see what's new?
  • Deceptive & Intrusive pop-ups Ads for GeekBuddy-assisted malware removal.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Earth said:
Apart from the video being an Advertisement for Comodo. Lets see what's new?

Kind of agree, I will see how intrusive they become when i begin using it.
Think the alerts can be turned off 'always remember' option.
Should be released within days i believe unless there are any show stopping bugs.

D

Deleted member 178

i appreciate the Trust Connect integration. Also CIS get lighter and lighter than ever.

after seing this video i feel very secure with my CIS + EAM real-time protection, and it confirm what i thought about MBAM, it cant reach EAM.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
Apart from the video being an Advertisement for Comodo.

:huh: :rolleyes:

Earth said:
Lets see what's new?

Somewhat intrusive (*) and perhaps confusing, but where is the deception?

*I would prefer it if you tell it not to ask again, that would be the only popup you see. Not separate popups for when a file is sandboxed, or your first D+ alert. I believe you will see a maximum of 3 or 4 popups in the current setup, (I've only encountered 3) which is definitely much less intrusive than other free offerings, such as Avira that shows a popup every time you update the definitions.

This popup behavior may change before the public release.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They are misleading.

[attachment=981]

The Ads in the pop-ups are a shame. I heard that GeekBuddy aren't that great (from reading the Forums).

Why recommend assistance, when Comodo has already handled the situation?

Attachments

• cis59-gbad.png
    cis59-gbad.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 524

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I agree with you ,Earth.
Comodo should stop this behavior, the GeekBuddy alerts are like ads.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Let's all wait and see when the 'final version' is released soon.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
They are misleading.

They are money hungry. *Fixed

In before slapped in the face by Comodo supporters.

I will more then likely smile at any such defence thrown at me. Thanks for the effort tho.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
They are misleading.

Annoying? Absolutely!

Unnecessary for many users? Sure!

However, I'm not seeing the misleading angle...

What have people been saying since Comodos HIPS was introduced? If you don't know how to answer an alert, it doesn't actually improve your security! This is Comodo adding a service to give those users who aren't sure what to do, someone to ask about it.

Whether or not the GeekBuddies actually know anything, I couldn't say. I've never used it.

I personally feel that if you chose not to install GeekBuddy, you shouldn't see any popups regarding it.

MrXidus said:
They are money hungry. *Fixed

Of course they are. I've yet to see any business that is not. ;)

Let's wait and see that the public release has in store, shall we? It's never a good idea to get all excited about anything seen in a pre-release, as there is a reason it's a pre-release. Things are subject to change before a public release.

MDRockstar

Dec 14, 2011
Comodo 5.9 finally released!

Good work comodo !

What's New in Version 5.9?
-------------------------------------------
NEW! Seamless Trustconnect integration: CIS now detects unsecured wireless connections and lets you use your trust connect account seamlessly
NEW! Smart Scan: We have introduced one of the smartest quick scans in the world based on COMODO Autorun Analyzer Technology.
IMPROVED!Malware deletion: Some files were not able to be deleted by CIS even after reboot
IMPROVED!We have moved some of the settings in from More->Preferences to their releveant sections in Firewall Settings etc.
IMPROVED!Dragon is included with CIS setup(Optional like GB)
FIXED!CAV causes some applications e.g. Nero to load too late

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HeffeD, would you know how long it took from the 5.9 Preview to Final release?

For Comodo Internet Security 5.9 Final click here.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Not really a big fan of this new 'pop-ups' but I can understand that COMODO is trying to get some money and we do have at least the 'Do not show again' option........
TrustConnect and GeekBuddy are two very hard to sell products as the majority of COMODO users are medium or advanced so they don't need to pay for this services......
Also I would like to see a opt-in COMODO Dragon and COMODO GeekBuddy rather than an opt-out........or at least COMODO should put this options in the main window of the installer and not hide them in 'Custom Install'......

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Exactly Jack. Definitely should put the option to install Dragon and Geekbuddy on the main standard install. It's underhanded and will leave a bad taste in the users mouth if they see something installed that they weren't asked about.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
franckly i don't see anything bad with it,nothing comes free guys i prefer having this than having a limited suite just my 2 cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.