COMODO Internet Security 6.0.260739.2674 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Firstly a quick and final update on the Emsisoft issue I had http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Cannot-access-internet-after-EIS-install?pid=90954#pid90954
The issue hasn't been resolved yet. I requested Thomas Ott sir to give me the License key after some years when I would have my own Laptop or a PC, I would install Emsisoft IS in it as my elder brother enabled the default Windows defender + Firewall since he got fed up of all these forums and postings lolz :p.
But after I suggested him to try and let me install COMODO IS as I've read many people here suggesting it for free IS suite protection, he agreed.
So now installed CIS on my Windows 8 Pro with WMC 64 bit.
Both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall stopped and disabled.
So I wanted to know all about its configuration settings. I saw in many video reviews of it and in CIS that its HIPS is diasabled by default. So please explain me on that and other settings that I need to set in its configuration so to make it more strict but not insanse type of just medium level.
And also I've set "Check for updates every" to 1hours so that it should always be updated to latest virus definitions also I think this would make me more protected from zero-day viruses and malwares as my virus definitons would constantly be updated every hour.
So please guide me in all these things I've said and if I made some mistake in the settings that I mentioned I've already did.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Also I read somewhere that Comodo IS doesn't have a Web-Shield to block web pages so is that true and if yes then please suggest some free of them compatible with windows 8 and always getting update with new browser updates so that it won't get disabled and yes reputation addons for latest mozilla and other browser updates

Z

ZeroDay

whizkidraj said:
Also I read somewhere that Comodo IS doesn't have a Web-Shield to block web pages so is that true and if yes then please suggest some free of them compatible with windows 8 and always getting update with new browser updates so that it won't get disabled and yes reputation addons for latest mozilla and other browser updates

Bitdefender traffic light.

P

Plexx

CIS default settings are good enough.
If you want to tweak it further, google for Chiron's guide in how to configure Comodo Firewall (there will also be walkthroughs for the other modules).

Only enable HIPS if you know what you are doing, which at this stage, I recommend leaving as it is. Chiron's guide does touch on that topic as well.

As for web protection, considering Comodo AV is on access, there is no real need for a web protection. If you are still paranoid enough to have one, try K9 Web Protection.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
With the sandbox and BB I don't know if you really need one.Watch this video test/review by MalwareDoctor http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Comodo-Internet-Security-6-Final-Test-Inside-Windows-8-VM-MalwareDoctor

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
ok thank you very much zeroday and Biozfear sir for the Chiron's guide.
I'm not that much paranoid for security just wanted all ur opinion if I should have a web filter or just CIS. And Zeroday said Bitdefender Traffic Light and u saying k9 web protection so which 1 to use and does it get constantly updated with latest browser updates.
Or COMODO Antivirus and defense would handle it well.
Will wait for some more replies and see u all tomorrow.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Yes White Nobster sir saw it from the link posted on Malwaretipss Facebook Page. Great review.

P

Plexx

BDTL is another alternative to K9. I prefer K9 but its personal preference.

D

Deleted member 178

what does a malware infect your system?

to enter your system, the malware must pass by the memory.

1- with CIS (and almost all AV) detect malware on memory so you are protected.
2- by infecting your HDD, so all AV protect it so you are protected.

so basically web filters are useless gadgets.

also if you want to know about CIS v6 BB & HIPS, read my article: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CIS-v6-BB-HIPS

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
what does a malware infect your system?

to enter your system, the malware must pass by the memory.

1- with CIS (and almost all AV) detect malware on memory so you are protected.
2- by infecting your HDD, so all AV protect it so you are protected.

so basically web filters are useless gadgets.

also if you want to know about CIS v6 BB & HIPS, read my article: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CIS-v6-BB-HIPS
yes i agree i've never used a webfilter because sometime webfilter are just based on public opinion and also its not something useful for me like you said in your previous reply CIS is enough you don't need those thing get an on deman scanner such as malwarebyte free,hitman pro emsisoft antimalware to check periodically your pc just to be sure also i'm pretty sure you won't be infected ;)

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
whizkidraj said:
And also I've set "Check for updates every" to 1hours so that it should always be updated to latest virus definitions also I think this would make me more protected from zero-day viruses and malwares as my virus definitons would constantly be updated every hour.
So please guide me in all these things I've said and if I made some mistake in the settings that I mentioned I've already did.
no 1 replied to this :dodgy:

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Use bitdefender traffic light. Webfilter is essentially for protection against fradulent sites as he may be doing online baking.
So whizkidraj use Bitdefender Traffic light. Comodo has a cloud so if you have an active internet you will be safe but if you want you can leave the hourly updates on.
Its better to have a webfilter like Traffic light. Better safe than sorry.

P

Plexx

whizkidraj said:
whizkidraj said:
no 1 replied to this :dodgy:

Follow Chiron's guide if you want maximum protection.

Updates every hour or 2 hours or 3 hours won't really make much difference unless you are purposely looking for infections.

As said before stock settings is fine for normal user.

If you or whoever is using the software fall on the always infected users category, then before even jumping to CIS or any other vendor, reconsider your browsing habits, stay away from warez and cracks and dodgy sites first.

Giving the best tools in the market to a user who will not know how to use it properly and still get infected is the same as giving ClamWin.

results will be the same in a way.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Biozfear said:
If you or whoever is using the software fall on the always infected users category, then before even jumping to CIS or any other vendor, reconsider your browsing habits, stay away from warez and cracks and dodgy sites first.

Giving the best tools in the market to a user who will not know how to use it properly and still get infected is the same as giving ClamWin.

results will be the same in a way.
Ok thank you sir, not for the above quote but for the chiron's guide idea.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have just installed CIS on my Windows 8 with default settings and it works fine.I traveled to a few dodgy sites and tried running a couple nasties and it preformed great.I have to agree with Biozfear,default settings are very good and safe browsing habits,scanning files before opening,ect. are the responsibility of the user.You can only roll the dice so many times before your luck runs out.No software is going to block 100% of malware,and if the user constantly relies on the software to do that,they are going to get burned.The use of extensions like WOT,using MBAM and VirusTotal to scan files are going to make a difference without the constraints of a Security Softwares max protection settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.