Comodo Internet Security - General Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Safe Mode or Custom Ruleset for firewall?

Safe Mode ...

Custom Mode if you want to create IP\Protocol rules for all apps = hassle until you get all app rules configured.

I use Safe Mode. When I need to allow an Unrecognized app, I generally do not create a permanent rule by selecting "Remember my answer." I just select Allow and watch the app run in the sandbox.

If I do create a rule for an Unrecognized app, until I fully trust it, then I use Outgoing Only. I will change that to Allow only if it causes problems with app in some way. I rarely do this...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I dont like "Remember This" option on FW alerts.
CIS is trying to be as easy as possible for average users without reducing protection.
And I think Allow Once/Allow Permanent & Block Once/Block Permanent tabs would be better than "Remember This" as those tabs would be more visible, easy to understand & carry out the action for average users.
The thing with "Remember This" is its easily missed by users sometimes. I myself quite a few times forget to check if "Remember This" was checked or not & have to go into the rules to remove the permanent rule as I too allow some stuffs on a temporary basis or once.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I dont like "Remember This" option on FW alerts.
CIS is trying to be as easy as possible for average users without reducing protection.
And I think Allow Once/Allow Permanent & Block Once/Block Permanent tabs would be better than "Remember This" as those tabs would be more visible, easy to understand & carry out the action for average users.
The thing with "Remember This" is its easily missed by users sometimes. I myself quite a few times forget to check if "Remember This" was checked or not & have to go into the rules to remove the permanent rule as I too allow some stuffs on a temporary basis or once.

Yeah... Comodo is "Old School" and the basic alerts do not create permanent rules... this ensures maximum alerts - and theoretically maximum protection - but - maximum annoyance.

It is simply better to run programs that are rated as Trusted to avoid all the rules...

I'm sure there's some Super - Comodo Super User out there that has rules for everything imaginable... Be an administrative chore I think...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What do you mean by basic alerts dont create permanent rules?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
What do you mean by basic alerts dont create permanent rules?

By default, any alerts do not create a permanent rule without the user ticking "Remember my answser." I think designed in this manner so that user must consciously make the selection to create a permanent rule.

Requiring user to tick "Remember my answer" as an additional step makes the user - theoretically - more aware of what they are doing.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Indeed it did; I was fully aware why I uninstalled CIS. :D
They need to understand that every decision, large or small, drains executive function.

Yeah. Comodo can be a lot of work...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
So much so that I think getting malware would be less work.

At one time I got so frustrated with CIS that I abandoned it and migrated to Emsisoft and ESET.

With time and effort CIS becomes more manageable, but I cannot deny that - even then - it can be a laborious affair (depending upon configuration and settings).

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
By default, any alerts do not create a permanent rule without the user ticking "Remember my answser." I think designed in this manner so that user must consciously make the selection to create a permanent rule.

Requiring user to tick "Remember my answer" as an additional step makes the user - theoretically - more aware of what they are doing.
By default "Remember This" is ticked. If you untick it on alert then on the next alert it will come unticked. If you then tick it on the alert then on the next alert it will come ticked & so on....

I think the better would be basic/advanced popup options in the settings. If you select basic popup then basic popup will have "Remember This" unticked always. And if you select advanced popup then advanced popup will always have "Remember This" ticked always or it can be as it is now plus details tab expanded.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
The manual explains the behaviour of "Remember this"; sometimes it is enabled already and other times it isn't (there's a good rationale behind it in keeping with Chicken-Little-security over practicality)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Firewall & HIPS popup time to remain on the screen can be increased/changed in the settings.
No option in the settings to increase/change popup time to remain on the screen for Elevated Privilege & AutoSandbox.
Or HIPS popup display time settings applies for Elevated Privilege & AutoSandbox popup too?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Firewall & HIPS popup time to remain on the screen can be increased/changed in the settings.
No option in the settings to increase/change popup time to remain on the screen for Elevated Privilege & AutoSandbox.
Or HIPS popup display time settings applies for Elevated Privilege & AutoSandbox popup too?

HIPS time setting also establishes time any notifications appear for Sandbox alerts as well.

I set mine to 999 (max) - and they stay open until I can get to them.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
HIPS time setting also establishes time any notifications appear for Sandbox alerts as well.

I set mine to 999 (max) - and they stay open until I can get to them.
Any probs setting it to max...like popup freeze, etc...?
By default the popups displays for 2 mins, right?

And HIPS time setting works for Sandbox in default settings i.e HIPS disabled?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Any probs setting it to max...like popup freeze, etc...?
By default the popups displays for 2 mins, right?

And HIPS time setting works for Sandbox in default settings i.e HIPS disabled?

I have experienced no problems with setting HIPS time to max.

I'm not sure what the default time setting for notification actually is, but it is not long enough - especially when you step away from your computer.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have experienced no problems with setting HIPS time to max.

I'm not sure what the default time setting for notification actually is, but it is not long enough - especially when you step away from your computer.
Default settings i.e HIPS disabled.
Changed time to 999 secs.
It works for Elevated Privilege alert.
It doesn't works for AutoSandbox alert. I especially needed this as then I dont have to go into the settings to move file to trusted. And by default this alert displays on the screen for some secs.
By default Elevated Privilege alert displays on screen for 2 mins.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi hjlbx

Congrats on the change in title/memberships - well deserved! Just reading your entire review, and found it very useful. I've been using Windows 10 with (cough) fun, but antivirus wise dreadful - Kaspersky didn't want to know, still not fixed their issues. Now I use Comodo, settings from yourself and cruelsister (amazing character!) and it all runs smoothly.

I use the virtual browser, but I was tinkering around. It you set the browser to automatically virtualized and the restriction level to restricted nothing copies or pastes within the browser, limitied all works fine. Would that additional restriction i.e., limitied, untrusted etc., make the browser more secure?

Tony :)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hi hjlbx

Congrats on the change in title/memberships - well deserved! Just reading your entire review, and found it very useful. I've been using Windows 10 with (cough) fun, but antivirus wise dreadful - Kaspersky didn't want to know, still not fixed their issues. Now I use Comodo, settings from yourself and cruelsister (amazing character!) and it all runs smoothly.

I use the virtual browser, but I was tinkering around. It you set the browser to automatically virtualized and the restriction level to restricted nothing copies or pastes within the browser, limitied all works fine. Would that additional restriction i.e., limitied, untrusted etc., make the browser more secure?

Tony :)

Thank you for your kind words.

All the AVs are a mess with W10. W10 is not ready... so how can any of the AVs be ready if they are trying to protect a messed-up OS ?

Yes.... but at the expense of some inconvenience... it will break things from time to time = plug-ins, websites - like embedded video, etc.

I'd be interested to learn more about your experience with those settings as I haven't messed with it too much with a forced browser.

Comodo sandbox is not quite a full replacement for Sandboxie, but it's darn close.

Keep us posted... please.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Very true, if it wasn't for that "I really want to try it" feel I would have stuck with 8.1 - my uncle (now retired) told me they never finished Windows 7, messed up with 8, moved to 8.1, now it's 10. His company used XP for yrs, when he left now on Win 7, but his new laptop is 8 and that's it, he just will not change - he used Kaspersky business select never had any issues.

I am annoyed at Kaspersky, they've really messed up with Windows 10, never thought I'd say it, but Comodo hands down beats them it Melih had the money, government backing a certain Eugene has I'm sure Comodo would be at the top.

Yes, I will keep you updated on the browser, but for the past week or so no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.