Comodo Internet Security - HIPS On or Off?

Comodo Internet Security

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

No, it doesn't. In zero of five installations did it disable WFW for me. Searching for "why" only found a bunch of others with the same question, with one answer (on the "other" forum) being to leave both enabled because Comodo knows what they are doing and they must have decided to leave WFW enabled for a reason. This is what happens when facts are subject to assumption.

A third-party firewall that fails to disable WFW is one large red flag.

There are a lot of race conditions in Windows Security and Control center that can make this sort of thing - e.g. WF stay on - when a third party firewall is installed.

It's a known Windows issue - like for the past 15 years...

In other words, the issue is Windows, not the AV\firewall.

No big deal... just turn WF off if it remains enabled after another firewall is installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
@Rolo seems like u had just bad look with comodo. Its still one of the best free firewalls/internet securitys out there. i installed it on much computers for friends,familie and others and never had any bug or something critical and it always turnt of windows firewall,whatever it was win7/8 or 8.1. its hard to find a better free solution when it comes to protection,its maybe the best out there.

Reactions: vivid

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Depending on what I wanna do I have saved two config settings one with "HIPS on" and one "HIPS off"/Autosandbox-on/Proactive security. But it's almost often set at HIPS on.

Reactions: porkpiehat
D

Deleted member 2913

As mentioned previously in this thread CIS always disabled Win FW on my Win 7 64, with the latest CIS version too.
To confirm I installed latest CIS & Yes it disabled Win FW on Win 7 64.
During CIS install I get notification from Action Center tray icon Win FW disabled. I checked & it was correctly disabled.

Reactions: vivid

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
No, it doesn't. In zero of five installations did it disable WFW for me. Searching for "why" only found a bunch of others with the same question, with one answer (on the "other" forum) being to leave both enabled because Comodo knows what they are doing and they must have decided to leave WFW enabled for a reason. This is what happens when facts are subject to assumption.

A third-party firewall that fails to disable WFW is one large red flag.
You're welcome, Rolo!

~
Thank you for contacting COMODO.

The issue has been escalated to our developers meanwhile please disable Windows Firewall manually to avoid conflicts.

Kindly let us know if you required of any more assistance.

porkpiehat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
TBH, I've never had a WFW problem either... and I have CIS on my main PC, and CF on my laptop.. both installations disabled WFW....

Reactions: vivid and yigido

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I know full well "correlation does not imply causation"; that is why I tested it. It is observable and repeatable 100%. A smidge of credit, please.

It is under "Format verified issue reports". OK, I guess that meant they verified the report format then!? Welcome to Initech!

e3af3974ed00558e8bc98ff9d62c1afb.500x500x1.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas and hjlbx

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
I know full well "correlation does not imply causation"; that
It is under "Format verified issue reports". OK, I guess that meant they verified the report format than!?

In short, it depends on the user expertise. If you provide enough evidence then it's plausible to be an issue to you or majority. It requires extensive testing by QA that know the exact specifications of the product. Additional information is most likely to be requested AFTER the forwarding process.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Having been a user for 34 years, QA for 5, and sole-developer for 7, I think I got it. I reported sufficient information; what they do with it is their prerogative. I can see the Hyper-V issue being a less common one as VMs aren't widely used (does the same happen on any system with virtual network adapters?). However, any inspector/evaluator knows that where there's smoke, there's fire: one problem compels a more thorough investigation.

The other bugs I ran into were already reported and experienced by many over a long time--enough to tell this former QA guy that the product isn't reliable.

While we're on formal logical fallacies, because it works for X users doesn't invalidate that is does not work for Y users.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Very nice discussion here. On me I keep HIPS on unless otherwise I do not want to be bothered like when I'm playing on games or am not online I use a saved configuration just for it. Otherwise I have HIPS on :)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
So Bitdefender is not the only company with recurring bugs. But, won't most people not even think about checking whether Windows firewall is disabled, some might not even have a clue.

Reactions: Rolo

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
So Bitdefender is not the only company with recurring bugs. But, won't most people not even think about checking whether Windows firewall is disabled, some might not even have a clue.
The probability of such conflict is very low.

H

hjlbx

They should see white X inside red circle over top of Windows Action Center flag notification icon in desktop tray area...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.