Comodo Internet Security - HIPS On or Off?

Comodo Internet Security

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Wouldn't you say those bugs are vulnerabilities?

Well, from a general security standpoint, they are bad news. In other words, they expose the entire system if they persist since CIS isn't functioning.

I was talking about vulnerabilities from a malware-coding-to-exploit perspective. In that case, those bugs are useless - since a malware writer wouldn't focus on such bugs in a soft that is used by a relatively minute group of users. To do so would mean the malware author's probable payoff would = 0.

In any case, that is besides the point. You are right @Rolo - such bugs are a type of vulnerability.

S

Sr. Normal

@Sr. Normal anyone with a little patience can learn a few things form HIPS;)

Patience, self-confidence and ... backup. ;) And the phone of a friend to call him and tell him: "it has happened again, what should I do?" :D

@Rolo I honestly think that your personal opinion remains you objectivity.

[QUOTE="Rolo, post: 407803, member: 37118" it is a pain to use (subjective observation but a nearly unanimous one I'd bet--"easy to use" certainly isn't ever said about Comodo), HIPS should be activated (professional opinion and I agreed with hjlbx's wise advice on learning from CIS).[/QUOTE]

Most don't see it as a pain, most professionals do not suggest activating HIPS for "normal" use and low level user. For example, when you use Windows Firewall you are not using HIPS and you like the results you get and that you are an advanced user, but you can do without HIPS if you wish, right ?.

If Comodo is buggy, how many buggies are there? Many, many, many software companies have had to take out new versions to fix more or less important problems. Many have to make patches, and I repeat, I am not a fanboy of Comodo, but not so unusual in their product errors from almost any manufacturer.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I think that Comodo Firewall is a good product and you do not. I think to know how to handle HIPS have to have a minimum level and you think it's for everyone.

Perfect. Although I do not will convince you , or your to me, the important thing is that @Sloth is now a little more information to evaluate his case. So HIPS is personal. If you want to have total control, activate it. If you are not sure what to do when your interaction is required, disable it.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I didn't say it being a pain was a bad thing; I'm just stating that CIS is not plug-and-play and to be prepared to spend time with it, lest you not have any security at all due to it not working as advertised. Suffering --> Endurance --> Character

there will be a new release in this month for bug fixes.
I've messed with CIS since it came out; not much has changed. My wife cringes any time she hears me say, "Comodo" for 1) she knows I will be "unavailable" for about a week and 2) I might get the crazy idea of installing it on her computer again.

S

Sr. Normal

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean. Is a face like the photo?

when my wife hears "Comodo" I think I will do sleep on the couch.

But I do not know what has this firewall, I always use it again
images

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Can I ask, why does Kaspersky and Norton etc., automatically disable Windows Firewall, but Comodo leaves it on. Mine 'was' still on, but I've disabled it?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I read all these statements and panic about how effective Comodo truly is. I have read a few major security forums that Comodo won't full uninstall, even their removal tool, as one mod put it "total crap."

D

Deleted member 2913

Tony Cole,

CIS always disabled Win FW on my Win 7 64 system.

Never had a prob uninstalling CIS.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Can I ask, why does Kaspersky and Norton etc., automatically disable Windows Firewall, but Comodo leaves it on. Mine 'was' still on, but I've disabled it?
Comodo leaves the WF on because---heh---get this--
---it is a borg!
Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

No, wait, that's not right...

Because----it is a bug!

I read all these statements and panic
Here..in large, friendly letters...

7562d1404498890-panic-mode-what-do-when-you-forget-your-note-3-home-tpanicgreenguy.png

Reactions: Sloth
H

hjlbx

I read all these statements and panic about how effective Comodo truly is. I have read a few major security forums that Comodo won't full uninstall, even their removal tool, as one mod put it "total crap."

Bitdefender, Comodo and Kaspersky - as well as some others - do leave registry and file remnants behind. This is typical and not a cause for concern. With AV I have found that a manual registry and file clean-up might be necessary - but not always. I check, just to make sure.

I will give an example. I installed Bitdefender, then uninstalled it. When I attempted to install ESET, it detected Bitdefender registry remnants and would not install until I cleaned out the registry.

I uninstalled Kaspersky, and found Kaspersky registry remnants 3 months later. I can't remember what exactly I was doing, but the Kasper entries were there. Also, there were left-behind Kasper files that had to be deleted.

AVs uninstalling "incompletely" is a common enough complaint on all the security and product forums. Once you get to know how to do it, then it is not the major hassle it is to you when you first start out. In a word - experience.

If I selected an AV based upon all user complaints regarding AVs, then I wouldn't use anything...

BD has its +\-, Comodo +\-, Kasper +\-... etc ... etc ... etc.

One's system security is much more dependent upon user knowledge, experience - and, above all else - computing habits.

There's a natural inclination to use the nuclear option when only a 9mm is necessary to do the job... get my drift ?

Reactions: yigido

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Yes but there's 20 megatons of catharsis in them thar nukes!

SoftOrganizer will capture all the remnants.

Y

yigido

While installing itself, Comodo always make WF disabled. It always happend to me. WF always disabled on my machine. Becuase using 2 firewall on one machine is just "absurdness". Disable the WF by manually, if you are using Comodo Firewall.
I use GeekUninstaller to remove remnant files, I have a removal tool that deletes all Comodo files, then I use CCleaner to delete junks.Then, I checked the remnants again with Everything. So everything cleaned? Yes, of course.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I personally would go for a 100 megaton bomb, much, much better. Ah, that bring's back my day's of physics. So, how would you go about cleaning a registry i.e., when you were unable to install ESET?

Y

yigido

I personally would go for a 100 megaton bomb, much, much better. Ah, that bring's back my day's of physics. So, how would you go about cleaning a registry i.e., when you were unable to install ESET?
Do you have problems to installing EST due to Comodo remnants?
This might be weird but install CIS again and uninstall it again with Revo or GeekUninstaller.
Then use this tool : http://www80.zippyshare.com/v/PI7uNNgJ/file.html
After that restart and run CCleaner then use Everything.. write 'Comodo' and check any folder file are left named with "Comodo"..
Actually I do not suggest to remove registry by manually. If you really want, you know regedit then go there and "Ctrl+F"
write Comodo again and check folders and values. This is the only thing you can do.

H

hjlbx

WARNING !!

I do not recommend anyone mess with the Windows registry - either manually or by using an aggressive registry cleaner - unless they are fully prepared to accept, up to and including, an unbootable system. When in doubt, just don't do it...

Cleaning registry I have used CCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, Glary Utilities, and regedit... not all at the same time. Just showing what I have used. There's JX, Ashampoo, etc - but blindly deleting registry keys is a really bad idea.

Nowadays I just use regedit and its Find function to track down AV remnants. I prefer the manual process...

No matter which way one does it, one must carefully review which keys are being deleted. Some of the keys are cryptic - and must be researched individually to make sure they should be deleted. When in doubt, I leave it alone as I can always come back later and delete it later if necessary.

All in all, it's not too onerous. It just takes time.

However, I find it rare that I have to perform such a cleaning...

On my system, the Comodo uninstaller has always worked fine; the Comodo uninstall tool was not necessary.

This sort of issue - the need for additional post-uninstall cleaning - is system specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: yigido

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Hi,

I'm using Comodo Internet Security Free. HIPS is off by default.

Should I turn it on or not? If I should turn it on, then what are the recommended settings.

Also should I disable windows firewall or just leave it enabled?

If you want you can enable HIPS. Good trick is to make it in "Learning mode" then reboot and and enable the mode you want (I would advise to start from "Clean PC") in about 10 minutes after reboot.

If CIS didn't disable windows firewall then do it manually, but don't disable windows firewall service as Comodo firewal (like other third-party firewalls as well) needs it.

And as others mentioned Comodo is rather buggy (e.g. what most drives me crazy it's tray icon regularly disappears on my current PC, but it depends on the system) but its bugs doesn't make it vulnerable.

In skillful hands Comodo is a great tool.

Reactions: Sloth
Y

yigido

And as others mentioned Comodo is rather buggy (e.g. what most drives me crazy it's tray icon regularly disappears on my current PC, but it depends on the system) but its bugs doesn't make it vulnerable.
In skillful hands Comodo is a great tool.
The "CisTray.exe" closes after I remove my power cable :D I reported it too. I faced this problem on my machine

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
While installing itself, Comodo always make WF disabled
No, it doesn't. In zero of five installations did it disable WFW for me. Searching for "why" only found a bunch of others with the same question, with one answer (on the "other" forum) being to leave both enabled because Comodo knows what they are doing and they must have decided to leave WFW enabled for a reason. This is what happens when facts are subject to assumption.

A third-party firewall that fails to disable WFW is one large red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.