Battle Comodo Internet Security vs. Kaspersky Internet Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Hi guys. I am wondering which of this two products you like more. Comodo is good but I also hear that Kaspersky is good. I want to know what others think. Please tell which you think offers better protection. Please vote in the poll and explain why you like Comodo or Kaspersky. Thank you.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Comodo because it rocks when tweaked right and it is free. Kaspersky is overrated big time. Get an expert user to tweak Kaspersky for minimum FP's and max security, and I do the same for CIS, and I believe that Comodo would consistently outperform it (free of charge).

thepiratedon

Apr 23, 2012
I have a kaspersky licence to march 2014 (internet security 2013)
and I use comodo instead ^^.

I guess that says alot :)

Basically I find comodo to not make giant dump on my system performance, where kaspersky is.
Also I find Comodo to be more protective and customizable.

Seany007

Verified
May 3, 2013
I used both. I would go for CIS. See below why...

About Kaspersky:

Negatives:

Heavy on the system resources
Had big issues with slow boot-up and shutdown
During AV update PC seem to slow down
Don't have a sandbox
PAID

Positives:

Good firewall
Strong HIPS
Good cloud
Very good detection
Good advanced settings/options
ASLR protection
Easy to navigate

About Comodo:

Negatives:

AV still needs an improvement

Positives:

Light on the system resources
Very good firewall
Strong HIPS
Good cloud
Sandbox/BB
FREE
Good advanced settings/options
Buffer-overflow protection
Easy to navigate

manmur

Level 1
Verified
Jan 23, 2013
I use Comodo IS. Mainly cause it is free. It is light on my system. Good with security. Also I have no major issues with it.

I have not tried Kaspersky IS. I really do not have the need to do so. I do, however, use their rescue CD.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
It sounds like I will stick with Comodo for a while.

I believe that is a wise choice as long as you are ok with making a few minor tweaks to enhance it for your needs, with minimizing FP's in mind. Anyone willing to adjust Comodo a bit is much better off than paying 40-80 dollars per year for suites such as KIS, ESET, Emsisoft, F-Secure, NIS, etc. IMHO
Those are all great options, but not necessarily for the money they cost.

I believe that CIS is a great option for experienced home users that are accustomed to modifying software for their needs.
That said, even if CIS is left a default it is still great protection for ANY user. However, I don't like how heuristics are set to "LOW" at default. They should at least be set to "MEDIUM" from the factory.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Gnosis said:
It sounds like I will stick with Comodo for a while.

I believe that is a wise choice as long as you are ok with making a few minor tweaks to enhance it for your needs, with minimizing FP's in mind. Anyone willing to adjust Comodo a bit is much better off than paying 40-80 dollars per year for suites such as KIS, ESET, Emsisoft, F-Secure, NIS, etc. IMHO
Those are all great options, but not necessarily for the money they cost.

I believe that CIS is a great option for experienced home users that are accustomed to modifying software for their needs.
That said, even if CIS is left a default it is still great protection for ANY user. However, I don't like how heuristics are set to "LOW" at default. They should at least be set to "MEDIUM" from the factory.
I did many tests with heuristics set to MEDIUM. It does not provide better detection at least just 2/3 more detections on 3000 samples...
But their goal is to reduce the FP rates. Even though they have really improved this part over the years.. They can still improve that.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Comodo have everything on its suite, combined and almost all the technologies are there.

Kaspersky which have good reputation on the market as one of the finest suite available but good luck for some certain performance issues.

Just the main thing here, you must take care for it caused they could be useless once abused. ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I voted for Comodo only because it is free, I don't use paid security products. However if you are willing to pay, Kaspersky probably will be a better choice. The only paid product worth buying according to my standards is Malwarebytes Pro since the majority of infections that affect home users are rogue security products like fake AV's. Malwarebytes is the only product able to block or remove most of them.

I'm not a fan of security suites either since Windows Firewall with a router firewall is sufficient.

Let's just say there are better freeware options than both Comodo and Kaspersky like Avast, MSE (Windows Defender) + UAC, Avira, AVG Free, ZoneAlarm Free AV + Firewall, FortiClient Lite, Panda Cloud, etc. used with some good common sense when it comes to downloading files and browsing the web.

Thanks.:D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Same as the Piratedon, I have a kaspersky license but use Comodo. Kaspersky has big time slowdowns and interferes with many programs. Security offered by both is on par, but comodo would win considering it is free.

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
I vote for CIS because I use for more than 1 year and I had no problems with it. KIS I used last year but I do not liked, is consuming too much system resources

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
While I have never doubted that Kaspersky makes capable products (esp. KBRD), I also don't doubt that Putin runs Russia with an iron fist much like Stalin did. I am not going to be one of the millions of Americans with wiped hard drives, via Ruskie virus-rootkit hybrids, because Putin orders all "anti-malware" companies over in Meshechera (Muscovy region) to put it to the Americans with a full malware pack for the next update issuance. I allow no Russian software on my PC full-time. I also do not allow "stat gathering" by Dr. Web, which is the only Russian software product that I utilize. No matter how much Barry bows to every leader on the planet, Russia will always consider the United States and Israel allies. In light of the recent controversy between Israel and Russia, pertinent to Syria, these will be truly interesting times, but not for MY PC's. LOL

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
I had a hard time choosing. I say they are around the same both can be configured very well to provide strong protection. I voted comodo since I use it and I have had no issues with it. Kaspersky does have the signatures but comodo uses less resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.