Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I started to try it with happy anticipation of a miracle, scan gave me a huge number of errors to be fixed and ... I should pay! Why don't inform in advance that it's a paid product?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More Comodo crap. :rolleyes:

COMODO PC TuneUp offers a collection of tools which will apply various techniques to try and enhance your PC's performance.

COMODO PC TuneUp isn't exactly expensive, then, at $9.95 a year. But it's still not that great a deal, and most people will be significantly better off by using the best freeware competition, instead.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/3328868/comodo-pc-tuneup-10/#ixzz2FMCpUW5P

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
These products in my eyes are nothing more than snake oil, even the free ones. They mostly just provide shortcuts to features already available in Windows. This Comodo product seems no different.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Tom172 said:
These products in my eyes are nothing more than snake oil, even the free ones. They mostly just provide shortcuts to features already available in Windows. This Comodo product seems no different.

Yes they are all snake oil products, there is no evidence that registry cleaners will make your system perform better. Cleaning up Internet temp files makes you system slower not faster because everything has to be loaded from the server instead of using the caches which makes them faster. I would like to note that Comodo is NOT the only security company using these rogue tactics. BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm, AVG, Avira, Symantec (Norton), PC Tools and others are also guilty of promoting these junk snake oil products to increase their profits.

The main difference with Comodo, their products are basically supported by their forum members who do most of the beta testing and bug reports to improve development. It is like a slap in the face to all those members who have put so much effort helping Comodo improve their products to see them resort into using the same tactics used by malware vendors.

It is getting to the point where you just can only trust a very few security software vendors. As time goes on even more will have reasons to not trust them.

Thanks.:D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Absolutely, well said.

I remember trying Norton Utilities a few years back...my god that was just terrible. For such a large company to release such a half arsed piece of software and charge an extortionate price for it was incredible.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Littlebits said:
Tom172 said:

Yes they are all snake oil products, there is no evidence that registry cleaners will make your system perform better. Cleaning up Internet temp files makes you system slower not faster because everything has to be loaded from the server instead of using the caches which makes them faster. I would like to note that Comodo is NOT the only security company using these rogue tactics. BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm, AVG, Avira, Symantec (Norton), PC Tools and others are also guilty of promoting these junk snake oil products to increase their profits.

The main difference with Comodo, their products are basically supported by their forum members who do most of the beta testing and bug reports to improve development. It is like a slap in the face to all those members who have put so much effort helping Comodo improve their products to see them resort into using the same tactics used by malware vendors.

It is getting to the point where you just can only trust a very few security software vendors. As time goes on even more will have reasons to not trust them.

And the ones that you can trust aren't going to be the best choice in terms of security, since they are usually small companies.
I'm personally still waiting for GeSWall to be released for 64 bit computers, even if Gentle Security haven't been heard from in years.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yup, even BDTS tuneup modules use default windows functions. But as a security and suite and developing great tech they are good. Most AV companies just give links to windows default tools as extras in their products.
But yes I even i got the domain invalid problem in URL void so just for a minute it crossed me maybe it was a rouge.
Also its funny that its at a subdomain and not at comodo.com/product/pctuneup.aspx some thing like that.
I am going to stop using their products too. I think its just better to pay a few bucks for security.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
malbky said:
Yup, even BDTS tuneup modules use default windows functions. But as a security and suite and developing great tech they are good. Most AV companies just give links to windows default tools as extras in their products.
But yes I even i got the domain invalid problem in URL void so just for a minute it crossed me maybe it was a rouge.
Also its funny that its at a subdomain and not at comodo.com/product/pctuneup.aspx some thing like that.
I am going to stop using their products too. I think its just better to pay a few bucks for security.
But this problem isn't unique to Comodo.
Many other security developers use these tactics to get people to give them money.
In all honesty, companies that don't use these tactics are less frequent than those that do.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most of their products are, also it's useful to give the product an individual image & feel.

For example:
Code:
http://system-utilities.comodo.com/
http://programs-manager.comodo.com/
http://backup.comodo.com/
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
http://antivirus.comodo.com/

malbky said:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
elliotcroft said:
malbky said:
But this problem isn't unique to Comodo.
Many other security developers use these tactics to get people to give them money.
In all honesty, companies that don't use these tactics are less frequent than those that do.

It would be much easier to list the security software vendors who don't use these rogue tactics then to list all the ones that do.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Littlebits said:
BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm, AVG, Avira, Symantec (Norton), PC Tools and others are also guilty of promoting these junk snake oil products to increase their profits.

May I know name of Eset product which is similar to these products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.