Battle COMODO Secure DNS or Norton DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Personally i have used both and my actual choice is Comodo SecureDNS, i feel it block more websites than Norton DNS. in addition, im using the v2 beta of Comodo DNS which will later will incorporate Site Inspector.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In terms of detection currently, Norton DNS perform better than Comodo DNS.

However both were having content filtering and Comodo DNS next version is in beta stage so detection rates between to of them may differ.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Neither both are much slower than my default ISP DNS.

They are other ways to protect your system without sacrificing speed like using HostsMan with MVPS blocklists.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
like using HostsMan with MVPS blocklists.

i used it before but wasting 23k of ram just for that is not for me ^^ Comodo DNS dont slow me so much compared to my ISP.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:
Neither both are much slower than my default ISP DNS.

They are other ways to protect your system without sacrificing speed like using HostsMan with MVPS blocklists.

^^ Never facing slowness when using Norton DNS or COMODO Secure DNS. But I want to know which one to use.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Littlebits said:
like using HostsMan with MVPS blocklists.

i used it before but wasting 23k of ram just for that is not for me ^^ Comodo DNS dont slow me so much compared to my ISP.

HostsMan does NOT have to be running to use MVPS blocklists, therefore it doesn't use any resources at all. The only time you have to open HostsMan, is when you want to update it, add or remove hosts. However you can keep HostsMan's HostServer running it will boost page loading and let you know when a site is block instead of getting an error in your browser. HostServer uses a max of 1,000k memory, but that is nothing if you have 2GB of RAM. If you don't want to use HostServer, your browser will even use more RAM by itself trying to load pages and working with the DNS cache. HostServer saves RAM, doesn't use more than what your stand-alone browser would use without it.

HostsMan is just as secure or even better than using secure DNS and it doesn't slow down browsing. In fact many secure DNS services use MVPS blocklists and hpHosts blocklists.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I don't use any Secure DNS servers for now mainly because they block too much. I have Safe Web which blocks Malicious sites which already does me good so why use a DNS server that causes you a lot of false positives? I do switch from OpenDNS and Google Public DNS from time to time and vice versa.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
HostsMan does NOT have to be running to use MVPS blocklists, therefore it does use any resources at all. The only time you have to open HostsMan, is when you want to update it, add or remove hosts. However you can keep HostsMan's HostServer running it will boost page loading and let you know when a site is block instead of getting an error in your browser. HostServer uses a max of 1,000k memory, but that is nothing if you have 2GB of RAM. If you don't want to use HostServer, your browser will even use more RAM by itself trying to load pages and working with the DNS cache. HostServer saves RAM, doesn't use more than what your stand-alone browser would use without it.

good to know, will test again. it was long time ago when i used it.

edit: Hostman crashes comodo dragon.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Littlebits said:
HostsMan does NOT have to be running to use MVPS blocklists, therefore it does use any resources at all. The only time you have to open HostsMan, is when you want to update it, add or remove hosts. However you can keep HostsMan's HostServer running it will boost page loading and let you know when a site is block instead of getting an error in your browser. HostServer uses a max of 1,000k memory, but that is nothing if you have 2GB of RAM. If you don't want to use HostServer, your browser will even use more RAM by itself trying to load pages and working with the DNS cache. HostServer saves RAM, doesn't use more than what your stand-alone browser would use without it.

good to know, will test again. it was long time ago when i used it.

edit: Hostman crashes comodo dragon.

You must not have something setup correctly, HostsMan works completely fine with Comodo Dragon. Remember after updating your host file you must restart all browsers. It is recommended to disable DNS service if you use HostServer.

Before updating your host file make a backup in case you need to restore it.
Uninstalling HostsMan does not restore your original host file. You must restore it with HostsMan before uninstalling it.

Be sure to read HostsMan help file to learn how to correctly set it up.

Good Luck.:D

D

Deleted member 178

definitely both of them dont work well,

Littlebits said:
you must not have something setup correctly, HostsMan works completely fine with Comodo Dragon. Remember after updating your host file you must restart all browsers. It is recommended to disable DNS service if you use HostServer.

i knew that, i will do some further test.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
definitely both of them dont work well,

Littlebits said:
you must not have something setup correctly, HostsMan works completely fine with Comodo Dragon. Remember after updating your host file you must restart all browsers. It is recommended to disable DNS service if you use HostServer.

i knew that, i will do some further test.

As you can see both work completely fine without any problems, I don't know what you are doing wrong. If you are using CIS, you need to allow total access to both Hostsman and HostServer. On Comodo Dragon's Under the Hood setting you need to disable "malware domain filtering (Comodo DNS)" It is not needed with HostsMan and could cause problems.

Good Luck.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hungry Man said:
I notice 0 slowdowns no matter what DNS I use. URL preloading and DNS prefetching/ preresolving solves the 12ms differences.

I know I quoted your post Hungry Man, but I'm not saying you feel this way, merely using the number you mentioned to try and make a point because it seems that many users are still confused about what DNS does/does not affect.

I'm convinced that most people complaining about various DNS services being slow are imagining it, or are misinterpreting server load slowdowns or net congestions for poor DNS performance. (unless your DNS service is absolutely horrible...)

A half a year or so ago, I ran many benchmarks of various services spanning a period of weeks, and really, the speed differences between the various popular services aren't even perceivable. (And for benchmarks to actually mean anything, they need to be done at various points throughout the day over a longish periods of time. A single benchmark will not give you an accurate indication of any particular DNS services performance)

Back to the number you mentioned, Hungry man. 12ms. A delay of 12ms isn't something you're going to be able to even notice. Even if you see something like 124ms on a DNS benchmark, that is still just over a tenth of a second! Grab a stopwatch and click start/stop as fast as you can. It's pretty hard to hit a tenth of a second isn't it? To say that a delay that quick is in any way inconveniencing you, or even that you can feel a delay of this much is just silly.

Unless you regularly go to webpages that have hundreds of images, (each one with a unique URL that requires a lookup) anything in the hundredths of a second range isn't going to impact your browsing in the slightest. Even at a tenth of a second, a page with one hundred unique URL's to resolve, you're only looking at a delay of a second for all of the lookups, assuming the delay is consistent, which in reality, each lookup will likely not take that long. In fact, your browsing isn't likely to feel slow to you even if your lookup takes a full second! (Which would be horrendous DNS performance)

In all reality, your slow page loads are likely not even related to DNS, but are in fact due to normal net congestion or server load.

And again I have to say, (since it appears that people still feel otherwise) DNS does not, and can not affect your throughput! All it's doing is giving you the server address. Once this lookup is complete, DNS has no further part to play!

The only way DNS could affect download speed is if it connects you to a server that is quite far away from you geographically. Even then, it could just be that this particular server is overloaded, and if you tried the download again at an off-peak time, you would get a download speed more in line with what you are expecting.

D

Deleted member 178

i agree with Heffed, if it dont take more than 1sec, the difference is imperceptible for being worry about.

@Littlebits: ok work fine now, after launching HostsServer and optimized my hosts file, pages load faster. but i still use comodo DNS since HostsMan has a lot of FP. it blocked some legit website.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i agree with Heffed, if it dont take more than 1sec, the difference is imperceptible for being worry about.

@Littlebits: ok work fine now, after launching HostsServer and optimized my hosts file, pages load faster. but i still use comodo DNS since HostsMan has a lot of FP. it blocked some legit website.

Only use one blocklist, the best one is MVP Hosts or you will get a lot of safe sites blocked. Avoid hpHosts, all of their blocklists are full of false positives.

Just remember it is the blocklists that do the blocking, HostsMan just manages the host file, it doesn't block anything. If you get a bad blocklist it will cause problems.

Of coarse sometimes you will have to add some sites to the exclusion list.

Once you get HostsMan setup with a good blocklist and exclusion list, you will love it. I have used it for many years, one of my favorite security tools.

The only way DNS could affect download speed is if it connects you to a server that is quite far away from you geographically. Even then, it could just be that this particular server is overloaded, and if you tried the download again at an off-peak time, you would get a download speed more in line with what you are expecting.

Yes this completely correct, if you live in a big city then most of the time DNS won't have much effect on speed. But if you live in a remote area and the nearest big city is hundreds miles away, then you will notice a difference in DNS speeds.

It also depends on how stable DNS servers are, some DNS are crappy. In this case Comodo DNS, OpenDNS, DNSAdvantage, Norton DNS or Google DNS might be much better options than your default ISP DNS.

I live in a remote area and my ISP DNS is very good, when trying other DNS services I could notice a extended pause when trying to visit a website. I used DNS Benchmark and it indicated that my default ISP DNS was faster and more responsive than all of the other DNS services.

Good day.:D

D

Deleted member 178

i used only MVPS, but it block a french economic radio channel ^^ maybe i will look into the blacklist and found the entry and remove it myself.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I have tested Norton And COMODO Secure DNS against malicious links, and they performed very bad :huh: Now to test ClearCloud DNS, but it used to make my internet stop functioning, why is this so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.