Comodo Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Hey everyone :)

Comodo Time Machine, CTM, is a good rollback software and it's a must if you want to save hours of reinstalling the computer or whatever. For those who wish to download CTM 2.9b need to register at comodo forums in order to

If you wish to download without becoming member of comodo forums please click on Download and review link

Be aware that this beta and you run this software at your risk. To ensure no damage to you computer please download Wmware or VirtualBox to test on.

I would be happy if you could rate the thread. If it's bad then it is but if it's good then it's good :)

Regards,
Valentin N

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
I forgot to mention that the user should explore the settings.

Thanks.

Regards,
Valentin N

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Heard allot of bad things about it. Compatibility issues, blue-screens, etc. I will try it though when it gets out of beta if you say that it is stable enough. Stability is the most important aspect for me. I image my hdd regularly so I might actually not need it...we'll see.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
Heard allot of bad things about it. Compatibility issues, blue-screens, etc. I will try it though when it gets out of beta if you say that it is stable enough. Stability is the most important aspect for me. I image my hdd regularly so I might actually not need it...we'll see.
The beta is actually very stable, whereas the previous 'stable' versions are not.
Comodo Time Machine is not compatible with disk imaging software (without making a full image of the whole system including the MBR).

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
The beta is actually very stable, whereas the previous 'stable' versions are not.
Comodo Time Machine is not compatible with disk imaging software (without making a full image of the whole system including the MBR).

Since I haven't tried other versions of CTM I can't say if you're right or wrong but I can say that CTM 2.9b is very good and very stable. I use it on my host pc and it works.

Regards,
Valentin N

Valentinchen N said:
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:

Since I haven't tried other versions of CTM I can't say if you're right or wrong but I can say that CTM 2.9b is very good and very stable. I use it on my host pc and it works.

Regards,
Valentin N

My best tip for you is to try in on Wmware machine.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Probably modifies the MBR to load early.

Unfortunately testing on vmware is not the same thing as testing on real hardware. At least in this case I don't know how relevant this test can be.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
bogdan said:

Unfortunately testing on vmware is not the same thing as testing on real hardware. At least in this case I don't know how relevant this test can be.

I guess you have to take my word for it then :wink2:

I run Win 7 pro 32bit

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
bogdan said:
Any noticeable performance impact?

Not of what I have notices. It will be your saviour when something goes to hell. please look here to see what other people wrote about CTM and how people rate it.

Many comodo time machine user find CTM 2.9b very stable with no performance impact and better than CTM 2.8.1xxxxx which is the stable release.

Once I had the stable version installed on a vmware I couldn't access CTM 2.8 console and this what some users also had for issue on a real hardware pc.

Regards,
Valentin N

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:

It also needs to be installed on every bootable partition, because otherwise it cannot redirect changes made to the system from an unprotected partition. There is a console that can be accessed with the home key on boot up.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I never installed it...I guess I'm too stingy of system resources. And there is always a chance CTM will be incompatible with something on my system. I might sometime install...maybe.

:biggrin:

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
LaserWraith said:
I never installed it...I guess I'm too stingy of system resources. And there is always a chance CTM will be incompatible with something on my system. I might sometime install...maybe.

:biggrin:

Thats's up to you but CTM has no impact on the system resources. I don't see how CTM can be incompatible with something on your system... if you have a HDD and no SSD then you're good to go :)

Regards,
Valentin N

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Valentinchen N said:
Thats's up to you but CTM has no impact on the system resources. I don't see how CTM can be incompatible with something on your system... if you have a HDD and no SSD then you're good to go :)

Regards,
Valentin N

It has no impact? And, it will take up precious disk space. I have a small HDD in my laptop.

And you never know what can go wrong when you use some low-level program like that.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
LaserWraith said:
Valentinchen N said:

Regards,
Valentin N

It has no impact? And, it will take up precious disk space. I have a small HDD in my laptop.

And you never know what can go wrong when you use some low-level program like that.

I don't see any impact.

How big it is and how much space do you have? CTM takes by default 30GB if I am not wrong but a snapshots won't take that much.

I have only a few snapshots and they take max 10GB

Regards,
Valentin N

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Valentinchen N said:
I don't see any impact.

How big it is and how much space do you have? CTM takes by default 30GB if I am not wrong but a snapshots won't take that much.

Regards,
Valentin N

My HDD has a total of 150GB. Only 45GB is free.

And you might have a better computer than I do.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
LaserWraith said:
Valentinchen N said:
I don't see any impact.

Regards,
Valentin N

My HDD has a total of 150GB. Only 45GB is free.

And you might have a better computer than I do.

But when you make the first snapshot it will only take some MB, it's not like you will make snapshot day in, day out. CTM only require 10GB

I don't want to convince you but just inform you :)

Nice to see you here by the way.

Regards,
Valentin N

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Yes, but I'd rather use imaging software and my 1TB external drive. Just don't have enough local space. :p

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
elliotcroft said:
LaserWraith said:
Yes, but I'd rather use imaging software and my 1TB external drive. Just don't have enough local space. :p
Same, 1TB external drive and all. :star:

For those who don't have/"want to have" comodo forums account a megaupload like is provided on the first post of this thread.

Regards,
Valentin N

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.