Comodo Virtual Desktop

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
How safe is Comodo Virtual Desktop for banking & online purchasing from malware if VD virtual keyboard is used too?

Reactions: RXZ6Q
H

hjlbx

Thread author
@yesnoo

Comodo states that in the VD they have implemented anti-screen-capture, anti-keylogging (by using the virtual keyboard), etc. However, I have seen no thorough testing of the Virtual Desktop against such malware to verify that it works as stated. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work - but at the same time - I am not saying it does protect the system more than the "regular" CIS sandbox. Don't know...

I - as well as others on the forum - spent a lot of time to arrive at a better understanding - unfortunately, to no avail.

On the Comodo forum, there is a long thread (from about the time of late v. 6 or early v. 7) where a lot of dedicated users ask the question: What protections will\does the VD provide - exactly?

To make a long story, very short - in the end, the reply from Comodo was "We assure you that it all works..."

Not very reassuring if you ask me. Lots of users were disappointed on the lack of explanation.... but, as you know, the forum is not really a support forum.

From what I see, the VD is nothing more than a fancy desktop background that functions the same as Comodo's "regular" sandbox. I noticed no difference in CIS behavior or protections against malwares from the MT Malware Hub when tested in both the sandbox and the VD.

That's not to say there aren't additional protections... but I have been unable to obtain any additional infos other than the very limited discussion in the manual or on the forum.

Sorry, wish I could provide you with more infos...

Best Regards.

HJLBX

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Like other security products, the sandbox which are been label as 'use for bank and shopping protection" can surely work on the same concept for testing out of box, no changes on that concept though.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
hjlbx,

Does Virtual Desktop by itself protects from keyloggers, keystroke, screenshots, etc... if virtual keyboard is not used?

Avast guys mention SafeZone protects by itself & so there is no virtual keyboard inside SafeZone.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
From what I see, the VD is nothing more than a fancy desktop background that functions the same as Comodo's "regular" sandbox.
It's all about making the user feel safe, not about actual security.

Raising the flag here:
  • You run in sandbox if you suspect malicious logic. If you suspect malicious logic, why the heck would you do you banking on a suspect computer!?
  • Running your browser in a sandbox still doesn't prevent it from accessing your data on the machine and doesn't prevent your extensions and other nifty things from synchronising; therefore, you've secured nothing
    • "Oh but I run a different browser without all that stuff in the sandbox!" -- You can do the same thing and accomplish the same result (sans false sense of security) without the sandbox
    • Why are you typing passwords, anyway? LastPass, et. al... (of course they got hacked; did you ever think they wouldn't? That's what unbreakable-in-our-lifetime encryption is for and do you think your bank does security any better than a security company?)
The only purpose a sandbox serves is to prevent destructive changes to the computer, not securing data/privacy, etc.

Reactions: SD-ahmad

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Is the Comodo Sandbox/Virtual Desktop very secure? I wanted to ask: would Comodo’s Sandbox be comparable (in-terms-of) versatility, configuration and security with Sandboxie?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Is the Comodo Sandbox/Virtual Desktop very secure? I wanted to ask: would Comodo’s Sandbox be comparable (in-terms-of) versatility, configuration and security with Sandboxie?

Comodo sandbox, per se, is essentially equivalent to Sandboxie in terms of security.

Comodo's sandbox has more flexibility when setting a file's access rights to system resources than Sandboxie.

One does not have a tremendous advantage over the other...

However, CIS as a complete package handily outperforms Sandboxie security-wise - but then - you aren't comparing apples-to-apples - so it isn't fair !

In terms of data protection, I would give the edge to Comodo...

Best Regards @Tony Cole

HJLBX

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
@yesnoo

Do you have CIS installed any longer - or - did you revert to BD free ???

Best Regards,

HJLBX
I was trying Rollback Home Edition. So I had a CIS snapshot. But now uninstalled Rollback so no CIS now.

Why?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thanks HJLBX for the info. I'm starting to use Sandboxie again and didn't know whether both are essentially the same, and more importantly security wise i.e., do they have the ability to stop cryptolocker/cryptowall???

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
The only visible difference is that Sandboxie has a better compatibility with applications. (at the moment)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you download something in Virtual Desktop, is there any way to move it outside of the virtualized environment, if you want to save it?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Comodo sandbox, per se, is essentially equivalent to Sandboxie in terms of security.

Comodo's sandbox has more flexibility when setting a file's access rights to system resources than Sandboxie.

One does not have a tremendous advantage over the other...

However, CIS as a complete package handily outperforms Sandboxie security-wise - but then - you aren't comparing apples-to-apples - so it isn't fair !

In terms of data protection, I would give the edge to Comodo...

Best Regards @Tony Cole

HJLBX
I am trying out comodo sandbox, and it seems to make the regular file system less integrated, for better and for worse.
1 with comodo, you can't drag a regular file onto a sandboxed webpage in order to upload it, like you could do with gmail running in sandboxie.
2 with comodo, if you delete the contents of the sandbox, and you had chrome in it, you lose all your app data and customizations etc, and you have to sign into chrome and let it all sync from the google cloud all over again. But Sandboxie just accesses your regular chrome user data, and you pick up where you left off.
3 with comodo you have only one folder that is shared space, by default. (and you have to dig into advanced settings just to make its contents available outside sandbox, unless you know to look in a hidden folder at C/VTRoot)

this all makes comodo less convenient, but probably safer at default settings, and less prone to conflicts. For instance, I can open chrome in comodo sandbox, with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016 running on win10. And I can even open Word 2016 virtualized. But I can't do either in sandboxie.

Last edited:

FrankN209

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2016
A question about Comodo VD, instead of creating a new thread. Can you add programs to Virtual Desktop? Like a different browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.