House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Jack said:
Wish list for CIS 6 :
- File and Download Reputation System
- Site Advisor
- Virtual keyboard
- A more user friendly on-demand Sandbox.

Now, realistically speaking CIS is already a mature product so I'm expecting to see more improvements and fixes than new features..
As far as CIS bypass goes , I'm sure you guys know that the authors usually use a particular malware sample who also can bypassed other known security products.Overall in real life you'll have the same chance of your computer being bypassed by a threat with CIS installed as getting hit by a meteorite.

agreed ;)

also it would be nice if it tells you when the database has been updated by notifying you like pretty all internet security suite.

they should revamp the ui as its really isn't that good compared to suites like avast,karpersky or even nod32 they should work on a skin which really suits cis i know people have different choices and opinions but atleast a decent skin would be good not the current one which sucks in my opinion i always change it to windows theme they should make it more userfriendly.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
UI is supposedly being completely redesigned, i guess this may resemble CCE ?
Who knows ?
Beta of 6 has been mooted for April, so hopefully an alpha cannot be far off now ???

Hopes for:

Behaviour Blocker.
Improved Secure DNS with Site inspector.
Cloud AV component with updates similar to avast!
Full sandbox virtualization.

These features have already been mentioned as 'coming sometime', just hope to see them happenin' ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Too much bloat being added to Comodo, more doesn't mean better. As we already know with current PC protection.

What happened to the days where users recommended not to run a HIPS and BB?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Everyday 50,000 new pieces of viruses, malware and UP's are created and thrown out into the web.

Relying on signatures alone would be like wearing a seat belt in a car with no airbags.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
Too much bloat being added to Comodo, more doesn't mean better. As we already know with current PC protection.

Those days are gone since too many malware are created and signature can't keep up and is therefore an ineffective method. Avast never wanted a user to interact, what happened? Avast 7 requires a user's action. Normally their BB was meant do that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MrXidus said:
Everyday 50,000 new pieces of viruses, malware and UP's are created and thrown out into the web.

Relying on signatures alone would be like wearing a seat belt in a car with no airbags.

Prevention. That is key.

Learn it.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
Earth said:
MrXidus said:

Prevention. That is key.

Learn it.

Exactly why an anti-virus alone is not enough assuming on the users knowledge for security. Prevention is provided with HIPS and Behavior blockers, Sandboxes such as Comodo Sandbox, Avast Sandbox.

So if Comodo chooses to add more light weight features that help with prevention, I wouldn't call that bloat at all. As technology advances, So do the variants of malware, AV vendors do there part to keep up with the changes. Thanks. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HeffeD said:
So what do you feel the purpose behind HIPS and BB's are, if not prevention?

If prevention, it would have not allowed the malware to enter the system, but of course HIPS wouldn't know the difference good and bad, so it's completely user-dependent after that.

To safeguard a system, you must prevent. To prevent you must block access before entry to anywhere near the system.

HIPS and BB are closer to the inbetween state of Prevention and Infection.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
If prevention, it would have not allowed the malware to enter the system, but of course HIPS wouldn't know the difference good and bad, so it's completely user-dependent after that.

To safeguard a system, you must prevent. To prevent you must block access before entry to anywhere near the system.

HIPS and BB are closer to the inbetween state of Prevention and Infection.

There is no inbetween state of infection. Either your machine is clean, or it is not. Either infection has been prevented, or it has not. HIPS and BB's sole purpose is infection prevention.

To prevent is defined as stopping something from happening. Any mechanism that stops an infection, has prevented an infection.

Are you saying that if I attempt to install some malware and my HIPS or BB warns me of suspicious behavior and I block it, (thus avoiding infection) the HIPS or BB has not in fact prevented an infection? I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that this was not the case.

It sounds like in your opinion, if malware is on my HD, my prevention has already failed, correct? You feel that the malware has already gained entry to my system?

I would beg to differ. It has not gained entry to my system at all. It's sitting on my HD, yes. But inert malware isn't a risk. It needs to be executed in order to do anything, which is where my HIPS or BB will (hopefully) step in. (In the event that this is a new threat that my AV doesn't have a signature for yet)

There is no starting point to prevention. As long as the end result is avoided, it is considered to be prevented.

If a car starts rolling down a hill towards a group of school children and you jump in and press the brakes, you have just prevented the car from hitting the children. No one would say that you didn't prevent the catastrophe because the car was already parked on the hill...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Honestly I can't be bothered about HIPS or BB right now, let alone security software. You win the debate or whatever, but HIPS and BB are not the future.

Clever analogy used, but the car should not have started rolling if it was parked correctly.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
Honestly I can't be bothered about HIPS or BB right now, let alone security software. You win the debate or whatever, but HIPS and BB are not the future.

Clever analogy used, but the car should not have started rolling if it was parked correctly.

Then what is the future?

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:

No braking system is 100% perfect nor guarantee the driver that when he/she puts the foot on the brake pedal that the car will slow down and stop. Of course, A very small chance of that happening.

Heard on the news some lady's car crashed off a side of a highway after her brakes failed. Luckily she lived thanks to the prevention measures she has in the car, Seat belts, air bags etc.

If the car is parked, There is a chance the driver makes the mistake of not making sure the parking brake is up. Not the cars fault at all nor the hill the car is parked on. The driver should have made sure it was up.

Same goes for the un-wary user who runs an Unknown file and infects him/her self without virus scanning first. If this user has a Sandbox, HIPS or BB.

Then consider it caught. Consider it prevention. :)

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Egemen one of Comodo's chief techs announced end of April for CIS6 beta.
Hope to see more info come to light shortly :)
April is only a few days away.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
NSG001 said:
Egemen one of Comodo's chief techs announced end of April for CIS6 beta.
Hope to see more info come to light shortly :)
April is only a few days away.

I doubt very much that it will come in april but that's not an issue for a major update, full loaded with new features. I personally believe that it come in Q2-3

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks Valentin.
We'll be listening for those whispers whenever it arrives :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Melih said:
its not yet ready guys.
will take another few months..

CIS 6 is getting a huge overhaul.....amazing scanning speed....brand new sandbox.....brand new UI and much more..

we hope to have a beta out in Aug..

Link

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
The statement 'huge overhaul' worries me.
Couldn't give a rats about the UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.