Companion Antivirus info needed

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
i just need to know, any free companion antivirus available except Immunet which truly gives REAL TIME protection???

i know Webroot has such feature, but its paid, and another is Kingsoft, can we really trust them?? even some months ago, KIngsoft was making some noise among members in this forum, but now not much sound about them....

any other option available?? Thanx

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I know you are asking for a companion antivirus but in my opinion you got enough antivirus protection from Kaspersky. You ll be better off by adding Sandboxie instead of another AV.

Let me put it to you this way: If you add another AV, the chance of getting infected is still there.

If you add SBIE, you ll never get infected again as long as you are "extremely" careful about what you download and execute out of the sandbox.

Bo

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Here is the link for 6 month free installer to Webroot Secure Anywhere http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Giveaway-Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus-2013-Free-6-months

It is very light and a great companion to any AV or Security Suite.I run it alongside KIS and I hardly know it is there.As Bo said SBIE is a great software to keep you secure.I use it also

P

Plexx

tapoo said:
i just need to know, any free companion antivirus available except Immunet which truly gives REAL TIME protection???

i know Webroot has such feature, but its paid, and another is Kingsoft, can we really trust them?? even some months ago, KIngsoft was making some noise among members in this forum, but now not much sound about them....

any other option available?? Thanx

Here goes the full list:

Post 1

Post 11

Edit: forgot to answer OP.

WSA would be your best bet. You can even use as a standalone just fine.

If paid, EAM all the way.

I personally prefer 1 AV and 1 standalone prevention module, which in this case would be BB: Emsisoft Mamutu or a firewall with HIPS.

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Ok, forgot to mention, that i am asking for my friend,
he likes Avast free, and i added Comodo firewall 6 with D+ off with Avast free, but the main problem is he is heavy user of USB drives, and his office PC's have virtually no protection [antivirus subscription expired long time ago OR some PC doesn't have updated definition for long time] and Avast free doesn't have pen/USB drive protection like Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Webroot, and his USB drives are immunized by Panda USB vaccine ...
so that's why i am asking, isn't another companion antivirus will be good, or he should use any other type of software???

BTW, thanx for replying everyone,
@ exterminator20, Biozfear and all, will it be ok and silent to use Webroot with Avast Free +ComodoFirewall [with D+ off] for a basic user?? i think Webroot has USB drive protection as much as i can remember

D

Deleted member 178

tapoo said:
Avast free doesn't have pen/USB drive protection like Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Webroot, and his USB drives are immunized by Panda USB vaccine ...
so that's why i am asking, isn't another companion antivirus will be good, or he should use any other type of software???

Usb Vaccine stuff are just gadgets for peace of mind, even without it , the AV will catches the malware. a file executed must pass by the memory and ALL Avs monitor it in RT

@ exterminator20, Biozfear and all, will it be ok and silent to use Webroot with Avast Free +ComodoFirewall [with D+ off] for a basic user?? i think Webroot has USB drive protection as much as i can remember

paying WSA just for an USB protection is useless.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
tapoo said:
Ok, forgot to mention, that i am asking for my friend,
........but the main problem is he is heavy user of USB drives, and his office PC's have virtually no protection [antivirus subscription expired long time .........

Tell your friend about Sandboxie, it can be used to run USB drives sandboxed. Even being as careless as he is, if he can just discipline himself enough to always run his USB drives in a sandbox, getting infected by a malicious file inside one it is not likely to happen again.

Bo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I agree a "2nd" antivirus isn't needed, there is no added benefit if neither can detect an infected USB drive.

In Windows, your friend can Disable Autorun for all devices, to prevent the autorun of infected drives (.inf).

Pin a 'Windows Explorer under the supervision of Sandboxie' to the taskbar and desktop. Remind your friend to run foreign content under SBIE.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth said:
Pin a 'Windows Explorer under the supervision of Sandboxie' to the taskbar and desktop. Remind your friend to run foreign content under SBIE.

tapoo, if your friend is willing to learn how to create a sandboxed Windows Explorer and pin it to the taskbar or place it in the desktop, either Earth, myself or someone else can show you how to do it.

The sandboxed Windows Explorer is one of the best tools offered by Sandboxie, unfortunately is unused and ignored by most users. It works great for running USB/CD and DVD drives sandboxed. It is also used to navigate to files in order to run them sandboxed. For example, after you download a file to your download folder, you can navigate to the file using a sandboxed Windows Explorer and when you click on it, it will run sandboxed. If the file was malicious, the infection is gone when you delete the sandbox. Your system remains intact.

Bo

P

Plexx

avast! does have by default on access scan properties so even if you access a USB, avast will kick in the scan (as long as you open the USB drive).

Common misconception is the USB Scanner. ESET has such feature but basically what it does is triggers the option to scan the moment it is inserted on the system.

An on-access scan is just fine since unexecuted infection is basically dormant and doesn't pose any risk, unless its already live and running in the system. By then the AV's RT should kick in. Same exact concept of Comodo and other AV's that focus on On Access Scan.

If the user in question didn't even update the av solution etc, expecting a sandbox approach can be a double edge sword...

Simple mechanics: update software/allow signatures to be updated. Problem solved. No need to resort to a 2nd av.

Now I know where the discussion will lead, since it already happened on another thread: Virtualization argument but then again, OP never asked about virtualization in the first place. He asked about a companion av.

P

Plexx

rebel4life said:
so you guys are saying that windows.explorer.exe is very important file to protect

explorer.exe is the user shell (file browser, taskbar etc). One of the common targets of some malware.

Without it running, you cannot perform certain tasks.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Biozfear said:
Virtualization argument but then again, OP never asked about virtualization in the first place. He asked about a companion av.

Ejem, your blindness about virtualization, blinds you again, as usual. Please read post#5 and I quote Tapoo as saying, " isn't another companion antivirus will be good, or he should use any other type of software???".

rebel4life said:
so you guys are saying that windows.explorer.exe is very important file to protect

Using a sandboxed Windows Explorer, the user can navigate to any file or Drive in the computer to run files under the protection of Sandboxie. When you use one, you are not only protecting Windows Explorer, you are actually protecting your whole system. The whole computer.

If you navigate to a drive or a file using a sandboxed explorer, any change to your registry, programs or system caused by running any file is reversed when you delete the sandbox.

Bo

P

Plexx

bo.elam said:
Ejem, your blindness about virtualization, blinds you again, as usual. Please read post#5 and I quote Tapoo as saying, " isn't another companion antivirus will be good, or he should use any other type of software???".
Bo

Blindness you say... Just because I choose not to use a virtualization software does not mean I disagree. The actual virtualization topic on another thread wasn't developed further because I did not wanted to deviate the OP, so get your facts right first.

Ever heard of what OP means? Suggest you check first before commenting and directing to post number 5.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.