Battle Comparison between "free" Endpoint security.

Compare list
Symantec endpoint protection 14.3 vs McAfee endpoint security 10.7 .

Or any other product you want to discuss including third-party and built in consumer grade ones 😉.
In-depth Comparison

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Best (Free) program ever, for a home user a winner( I do not go into the policy stuff, I am not sure I need it)
Yeah one of the best.
Unfortunately the real strength can be unlocked only with policy stuff like Intrusion Prevention, deception(honeypots), application control, etc.
But for a home user, SEP unmanaged is good enough since zero days rarely target home users. And SEP AV engine is pretty strong.

Last edited:

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
The only 2 "free" i know are mcafee and symantec. Mcafee is more heavy then symantec, but as unmanaged have more settings. Pls take in consideration we still cant know if the new symantec product (broadcom) is good as old days.
And in my opinion u should not consider SEPM as free, cause it need a license for run. Compare SEPM with mcafee is already wrong in my opinion. The good comparison should be SEP with mcafee.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Voted "other" - no AV/IS apps on my 3 home machines.
Most machines in my house are running SEP without AV engine .
But I really interested what you use instead.

The only 2 "free" i know are mcafee and symantec. Mcafee is more heavy then symantec, but as unmanaged have more settings. Pls take in consideration we still cant know if the new symantec product (broadcom) is good as old days.
And in my opinion u should not consider SEPM as free, cause it need a license for run. Compare SEPM with mcafee is already wrong in my opinion. The good comparison should be SEP with mcafee.
Yeah true.
A bit misleading although I did actually give anyone who wanted SPEM and helped him Configure it .
Yeah SEP unmanaged vs MacAfee unmanaged /other .
Is more appropriate.

BTW what happened to Avast free business?

Reactions: roger_m

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Most machines in my house are running SEP without AV engine .
But I really interested what you use instead.
In this already archived info you can find ifo about my seucrity config on my laptops at home. One thing is changed actualy - currently I'm using Win7 instead of Vista.
Why such combo?...my opinion about SpyShelter you can find there from attached link and that below is why I'm longtime user of SD :)

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Windows 10 Home with admin account :) I haven't touched SRP settings.
Not sure it runs on windows home.
Try an unlicensed version of windows 10 pro
Screenshot_2020-05-29-17-32-42-097_com.kiwibrowser.browser.jpg

Reactions: [correlate]

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Windows 10 Home with admin account :) I haven't touched SRP settings.
uninstall all vc in your system and then install these one by one. ( Vc runtime errors usually happens when some of the programs installs vc on top of the already installed vc version. Once you install this all in one package, you can always choose to say "no" if any installer asks for installing VC runtime in future.)

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Your VC runtime software packages are corrupted, i presume.I had these kind of errors, these usually occurs when we install games softwares which comes bundled with Vc packages and installs Vc runtime over the already existing versions.Once I choose to install the above said "all in one package" and said "no" to further installing of any VC runtime, the errors went away.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hold on a minute..

Just because you can find the installation packages from shady sources and these two softwares do not ask for any licence as unmanaged, it does not mean the are 'free'.
They should not be advertised as free suites whatsoever.
Comss.ru is not a shady source, it is as legitimate source as other popular giveaway sities. I don't know what the eula says about the usage of un registered versions, I have not gone through eula, if it doesn't permit unregistered users then it's not a free to use software. But on the other hand if it doesn't explicitly prevents un registered usage then we can obviously call it as free to use software.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
It is shady as night itself.

With the same mentality, I can find Windows 10 Enterprise (or LTSC) licences for cheap but they are not legal because you need an Enterprise licence to use them.
These suites also need an Enterprise licence because they sell 50+ seats for organisations. If you are all so sure about the 'free' status why don't you navigate to their official websites and share the download links with the rest of us?

Oh wait.. you can't because you need to buy a licence first..

Edit: I work at a shipping company with 150 employees and I have seen the biannual cost of the so called 'free' SEP suite the whole building uses.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
It is shady as night itself.

With the same mentality, I can find Windows 10 Enterprise (or LTSC) licences for cheap but they are not legal because you need an Enterprise licence to use them.
These suites also need an Enterprise licence because they sell 50+ seats for organisations. If you are all so sure about the 'free' status why don't you navigate to their official websites and share the download links with the rest of us?

Oh wait.. you can't because you need to buy a licence first..

Edit: I work at a shipping company with 150 employees and I have seen the biannual cost of the so called 'free' SEP suite the whole building uses.
Comes.ru is sharing it with a trial licence of 60 days for sepm and you are not breaking any law for the trial period as the software is legitimately used as a registered trial version which the company allows as per eula. How come it becomes a shady practice then? It is up to you to decide on whether to use the sep after that. Just because you can find sharp knife in amazon.com it doesn't become a terrorist organisation atall, it is up to the user to decide what to do with the knife.

Reactions: cryogent

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Comes.ru is sharing it with a trial licence of 60 days for sepm and you are not breaking any law for the trial period as the software is legitimately used as a registered trial version which the company allows as per eula. How come it becomes a shady practice then? It is up to you to decide on whether to use the sep after that. Just because you can find sharp knife in amazon.com it doesn't become a terrorist organisation atall, it is up to the user to decide what to do with the knife.
The company allows trial usage as per EULA. Key word "trial"!
Since when is SEP and any Enterprise Endpoint Protection suite free?
Give me a break..

It would be very interesting to see what the legal team of Symantec / Broadcom have to say about Comss.ru if they find out that they are distributing their software as a giveaway.

Reactions: Kermit80

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.