Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
no working usb ports, ethernet and wireless adapter
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
reinstalled windows 7, used a cd and sd card to reinstall drivers for the devices
I am helping an 80 yr old lady with her laptop and is is possible that these parts on the motherboard could go out?
it is a dell inspiron n4110
I can use the SD card reader to install and a cd.

I look in device manager and network is not even listed. When I install the drivers the adapters cannot be found.
I have installed the chipset drivers and the usb 3.0 controller driver. An intel wireless adapter driver, also the realtec ethernet driver.

I looked in the bios and didnt find any setting to change. At this point I think the motherboard is the issue but I am not sure. Is there anything else I should do to try to fix this computer?

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Depending on what you really want to do? You could always install a new WiFi card. Just check on Dell's website with the model number, and try the latest drivers?

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Depending on what you really want to do? You could always install a new WiFi card. Just check on Dell's website with the model number, and try the latest drivers?
I really just want the computer working with wifi , ethernet and usb ports. So maybe updating the bios will do this?

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
first upgrade bios (care)
after drivers
after upgrading to Win 10

Product Support | Dell US
this is an older win 7 computer and I dont believe it will handle win 10 very well. I dont see where updating to win 10 will
help the fact the network does not even appear in the device manager. Because for some reason the motherboard is
not recognizing that they are even there

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I dont really want to try to put an new wifi card into the laptop and I cannot use a usb one because none of the usb ports are working

Upvote 0

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Updating the BIOS itself is a good idea, but it can also brick you motherboard (worse case scenario). It is definitely worth looking into the model number and most likely chipset drivers are a start.

Upvote 0

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Hello Rozesky2. All Dell hardware have a service tag. This is a unique ID and it is alphanumeric. Usually it is located beside the laptop. Go to support.dell.com and enter it. This will give you all the drivers for the system and you must select the proper Windows version. This will give you access for the correct ones.

I don't recommend to anyone upgrade to that Windows 10 crap.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Hello Rozesky2. All Dell hardware have a service tag. This is a unique ID and it is alphanumeric. Usually it is located beside the laptop. Go to support.dell.com and enter it. This will give you all the drivers for the system and you must select the proper Windows version. This will give you access for the correct ones.

I don't recommend to anyone upgrade to that Windows 10 crap.
thanks I did do this for this laptop and downloaded to a sd flashcard the drivers and installed them on the laptop...they are the correct ones because I did use the service tag...but still the device manage doesnt not even list network...and no usb ports active
I installed the chipset drivers, the usb and network both wifi and ethernet no luck
NOW I guess I need to try the bios update

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well one thing to make sure is, if you have an extra Wireless Adapter/Ethernet Adapter then try to install and plug it for possible changes on the issue.

Motherboard might not link on those unrecognized hardware parts but rather the components you insert.

Upvote 0

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Before any BIOS update try this:

1. Unplug from power outlet.
2. Remove any external device, keyboard and mouse included.
3. Remove memory modules, disconect all the cables (take a good note of the previous position).
4. Remove the internal battery and wait for ten minutes.
5. Reconnect all the devices.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
I think you might not be alone and yes things can fail. But to have the WiFi and USB go out at the same time, seems a bit odd.
2 out of 3 USB ports not working - dell inspiron n5110 - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Another solution was posted for a PC, could try it on a laptop too, guess you'd have to take out the battery.

This is what I did to get my USB ports working on my 410 when they suddenly didn't work. Hopefully, it will work for you.

1. Shutdown your PC
  2. Unplug the PC from the wall socket or surge protector (and remove the battery!)
  3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
  4. Plug the PC back into the wall socket or surge protector
  5. Power on the PC
  6. Check mouse and keyboard
USB Ports not working on XPS 410 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.